Who owned an Intellivision console?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Sondek, May 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I loved the skiing game! Although we had a bunch of games, I can only specifically remember playing that and baseball...

OcdMan and paulisdead like this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Awesome! I wish I still had our family's Intellivision. Can't imagine I'd want to play it, but it'd be fun to check out in person again...

3. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I recall Colecovision being launched with "Donkey Kong"--which was a huge hit in the commercial arcades at the time.

My first video game console was actually made by Coleco-- a rather crude 1976 device that played "Pong" and a couple of variations of that ("Hockey" and "Handball") which all used simple on-screen paddles (lines, really) to deflect a floating ball. Seemed fun at the time, but the games were built in and it lacked a slot for cartridges. When Atari came out a couple years later with the 2600, then Intellivision a year or so after, I wondered how I could ever have been entertained by "Pong"!

4. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

My older brother had one, but I think it might have been the Sears knock-off version. I remember loving it but hating the fact that it didn't have a joystick and instead had that circle to move around with. I had a 2600, loved to play them both. I think he only had sports games, I remember he had that Skiing game shown above.

5. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

My Dad had this:
    [​IMG]
    which he never really played; it was just stuck away in a closet. I just remember some Pong sort of game on it.
    Apparently it was considered a failure, landing between the earlier Pong consoles and the later more advanced consoles like Intellivision.
    I got an Atari 2600 later on when they became big (but not before some of my friends did)

6. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

My favorite Intellivision games were football, baseball, tanks and car racing.

I'm old enough that in my first studio job we had a Pong game that took quarters. It was in the lounge and somebody was always playing it. It was a console based game in a little table.

7. vinnie

vinnie Senior Member

Still have mine - loved their baseball.
    Also the source of WPIX Channel 11's TV-Pixxx

8. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

I had the smaller Intellivision II, while my friend had the original. We had just about every game, every add-on you could get, ad nauseum. Wasted way too many hours of our college life playing with the damn thing (and later, an Atari 5200) that would have been better spent studying or chasing after girls.

Life lesson learned the hard way.

:mad:

[​IMG]

MikeInFla likes this.
  9. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Has anyone played Intellivision Lives on PlayStation 2?

10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I had the one game no variation version of Pong. Next gaming device I got was an Android phone.

superstar19 likes this.
  11. Locutus67

Locutus67 Forum Resident

I still have mine along with about 40 games, all complete & in decent shape considering the (ab)use they took. My Dad drove home the point of taking good care of stuff, so it survives & I am better for it.
    I have the voice module as well + the 'Space Spartans' game. I recorded it's voice snippet "Hello Commander, Computer reporting", added a couple other bits & it's been my Windows startup sound for nearly 15 years.

Wes H likes this.
  12. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

My wife and I still have one. Two actually. The original model and the Intellivision II plus the voice synthesizer module. We still play it all the time on my older CRT TV. Picked up a few big lots of games on eBay some years back. I think we have most of the commonly available games for it. Lots of fun.

Wes H likes this.
  13. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

We're talking about retro gaming and I can't believe this hasn't been posted yet. :D

MikeInFla, chilinvilin and agaraffa like this.
  14. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

May as well put part 2 here. :)

chilinvilin likes this.
  15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Rich kids. The rest of us had to make do with Atari. Ha! Jokes on them. The Atari was better!

16. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

My cousin had the Intellivsion and my brother and I had the Atari 2600.

I remember some fun games for Intellivison (some games later got ported over to Atari 2600, but weren't as good.)

I remember the Skiing game, Baseball, Basketball, Football, Brickout, Triple Action (Tank Battle, Biplanes, Racing Cars), Snafu, a Tron game, and a Maze game that was fun (can't remember the name.) I remember a few years later, Atari came out with their own Maze game and it wasn't nearly as fun.

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

The sports games were awful!

18. ralphk

ralphk Ain’t gonna work on Maggie’s farm no more

It was the only game system I've ever owned although I played other people's Atari's and later other systems.

I only had 3 of the 125 games released, Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, Pitfall, and TRON Deadly Disks. I couldn't afford a lot of games and didn't have a lot of time to play.

I'd go home from work and play Dungeons and Dragons for a while to unwind. As mentioned, the controller was terrible, and Intellivision finger was a problem. There's a good Intellivision history here.

19. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Speaking of Pong, check this out - these guys engineered and built a *mechanical* version of Pong! It really has to be seen to be fully appreciated:

Pong In Real Life, Mechanical Pong »

Johnny66 and peter fuller like this.
  20. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

My friend had one. I had Atari. :)

21. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Loved my intellivision. Loved playing Dungeons&Dragons Space Armada and all the sports games. Later upgraded to Colecovision.

22. Sideshow Dave

Sideshow Dave Forum Resident

Loved my intellivision! Still have it in the basement. My favs were night stalker, tron deadly discs, pitfall, AD&D, and a lot of the imagic games; Dracula, microsurgeon, Atlantis....

And of course the classics; baseball, astrosmash, space battle....

Great fun!

Ed Hughes likes this.
  23. Intellivision was ALWAYS my favorite system and I have owned most of them at one time or another. I still own two working Intellivisions, the Intellivoice, the ECS computer module and the music keyboard. I also own 110 of the 125 released cartridges. My absolute favorite game of them all is Tower Of Doom. It was intended to be the 3rd installment of the D&D games but it was released later after Mattel Electronics folded. My favorite 2 player game was Utopia. My best friend and I would play that all the time and I don't think I EVER lost even once. I was ruthless at that game. I'd barricade his fishing port with PT boats and sink his fishing boat the second he bought one and I'd plant rebels on his island constantly. I was kinda mean. LOL. I had some insane high scores. I think I got to 7 million on Tron Deadly Discs by using the portals to fake out the white stick guys. I could honestly talk about Intellivision games all day.

cooper16, JFS3, Sideshow Dave and 3 others like this.
  24. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

Loved it. We were a big sports, so really remember hockey, skiing, and baseball. Hockey had a great glitch where on one team the players would sometimes end up as legless torsos. Skiing and baseball had eventual controller issuers. The slowly responsive paddlewheel made it hard to turn your skier one way, so you had to really advance a left turn. Baseball, from overuse the keypad that was first base did not work. Best you could hope for was an out at second base.

25. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

I had one. My dad got one during the game crash of 83/84 because it was reduced to a ridiculously low price at Sears. I remember Night Stalker and B-17 Bomber. That's about all I remember. The controller overlays used for each game were kind of cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.