Who owned or owns a Linn LP12?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Kingof punk1977, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nate

Nate Forum Resident

I've had an LP12 since 1998. It was a basic deck with a Rega arm and Cirkus bearing. In 2000 I added a
    Lingo, then came an Ekos (2nd hand), Arkiv B (second hand), Silver T cable, Trampolin and most recently Kore.

I have had zero issues with my table. I've had it serviced from time to time (5 plus year intervals) and gave never noticed it going out of adjustment.

I find the table very engaging and enjoyable to listen to. Sure there are other good tables, but I am pleased with my Linn. You have to respect a company that continues to refine and support a 40 plus year old product

I would not call my table finicky at all. If I were starting from scratch would I now buy the Linn? Who knows- I recently heard a VPI Prime that sounded awfully good.

It's not a knock on the Linn to say there are many good turntables to choose from these days.

Enjoy the music!!!!!

2. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Starter table!!!!

Shak Cohen, Tim 2 and royzak2000 like this.
  3. Oggy

Oggy Forum Resident

Exactly as I've found them to be - non finicky. There again didn't all turntables used to sound the same except for the needle and it was the speakers that made the difference?

Linn have clearly brainwashed people with this garbage in, garbage out thing!

Anyway, as Nate elegantly put, whatever your poison, enjoy the music!!!!!

Nate likes this.
  4. Oggy

Oggy Forum Resident

Wow! Some of this is cynical!

I will only reply to the parts I can answer honestly from my experience. Having worked at 4 Linn dealers, 2 with 2 branches, I can say that Linn have never given dealers huge margins! I don't want to be stereotypical and I don't mean this in a rascist way, but, in my days Linn was run by a Scottish Jew... Not generally known for generosity!! (actually as an Englishman I've known many generous Scots).

Linn have never told any dealer I've worked for, or visited to propagate any stories. What Linn have suggested to dealers is that they sell equipment by demonstration and choose stock based on performance - what an honest way to run a business!

Dealers have to buy demo stock, so it is a good business model to sell equipment that you believe in and can demonstrate to perform well, reliably with good back up.

Don Parkhurst likes this.
  5. Nate

Nate Forum Resident

Of course Linn in run by Scottish Jews.

Thus the following products names:

Sondek - the person who gently holds a baby during a Bris- much as my LP12 gently holds my LPs
    Akiva- a proper first name. Anyone see the movie Exodus- remember Unkle Akiva? Is Ivor Akiva?
    Katan - means small- an appropriate name for small speakers

6. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I bought a used LP12 (Ittok, Cirkus, Lingo and Trampolin) last year and I love it. Best 1k I've ever spent in audio.
    I was a bit worried about the suspension but I have had no problems so far and I have a few dealers nearby who can tweak it if necessary. I might upgrade the tonearm at some point if I can find a good deal on a used Ekos but so far I'm happy with the Ittok.

Nate likes this.
  7. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Yes, good starter table.
    The first one I purchased for under a grand and the sound was in the intermediate range, when set-up right. There following has increased the price and rightfully so.
    Lots of fun and many ways to improve the sound made it the perfect table for a novice and many would not feel the need for better.

8. Oggy

Oggy Forum Resident

Well, I had always considered a Rega a good starter turntable, but, yes, why not set your aspirations a bit higher! I can see where you are coming from, and a more basic LP12 is a good starter turntable.

Actually it's rather a brilliant starter turntable!

Oggy.

9. It's Felix

I wish I had 2500£ to start with an LP12

10. Ozoid

Ozoid Member

Fascinating thread, especially since it touches on some choices I'm facing with my own LP12, bought new in 1981 and fitted with an Ittok and a Koetsu Black. That unit (with a Klyne step-up amp) sounded wonderful and is still intact, but it's been in storage (along with the vinyl collection) for about 10 years due to tight space in a less than ideal listening environment. That's about to change so I'm contemplating an analog reunion.

The LP12 undoubtedly needs a tune-up — it probably wasn't stored optimally — and may need a new (Cirkus?) bearing. I have no technical chops to speak of, so I'll have to rely on a tech, an ex-Linn dealer who does the work in his spare time. (I live in Chicago, the third largest metro area in the U.S., but the nearest dealer is in Milwaukee.)

The Koetsu also probably needs a rebuild, which Koetsu will perform for about $1200.

My digital library is now more than three times the size of the vinyl, with hardly any duplication, so I expect the listening ratio will probably be about that.

But there are a few questions.
    As great as the LP12 is, in a few years I may be moving to central NY state, where I expect an experienced LP12 tech may be hard to find who makes house calls. I can't imagine it makes much sense to tune up a TT and then drive a few hundred miles home.

The proprietor started a thread a few months ago about Vinyl Nirvana's well-regarded Thorens 160 repros, which seem to be more robust, if less refined, than the LP12.

So I wonder, if I were to rehab the Koetsu, would it and the Ittok be overkill on a 160 repro? Or if I do decide to trade the LP12, should I equip the 160 with a lesser arm & cart? The $1200 for a Koetsu rebuild would, for instance, cover the cost of an Ortofon 2m Black, which I've heard is a fine match for the 160.

If not the 160, what other TTs should I consider?

For what it's worth, the gear downstream is an Audio Research SP6c, Decware Zen SET, and Omega Alnico monitors. Pragmatism leads me to think I should step down, but it's hard to imagine giving up the musicality of a Koetsu Black through that chain.

Your thoughts?

11. It's Felix

I wish I understand more than 1/100th of your post. But it does sound exciting to be getting the vinyl out again. Good luck!

12. Ozoid

Ozoid Member

Felix—
    I've been writing for a living for several decades and take pride in the clarity of my writing. I'm not defensive, but curious about your reaction. Could you expand on where I'm not clear?

13. It's Felix

Sorry. I wasn't being funny, your writing is lucid. It was a comment on my own lack of knowledge of all the different brands, systems etc. You refered to.

14. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Ozoid,
    Well wort having your LP12 serviced and refreshed. Thomas Okeefe in GrandRapids,MI will accept your deck via mail ( he will give you detailed instructions on packing), but I would make a day of it and take the drive to his shop. He is a Linn dealer and knows his way around an LP12 ( decades of experience ).Check his website: nokturneaudio.com.
    When you move to NY, Accent on Music in Mt. Cisco will be an excellent resource for your LP12 - they make housecalls. Husband and wife team that have been working with LP12's for decades.
    Good luck , I feel the LP12 is a very musical source and well worth the time and expense to get your deck up and running its' best.
    ATB,
    Mark

John likes this.
  15. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

yup

Black Ash/Cirkus/Ekos 2/Lyra DC/T-Kable/Linto
    on Mana of course, I don't think you've truly heard an LP12 until it's on Mana

Serviced about once every 8 years.

The support is probably more important that the cartridge.

Shame we can't post photos any more

16. Ozoid

Ozoid Member

Thanks for the good advice. As you could probably tell, I'd prefer to keep the kit I already have, rather than downgrade. As long as its feasible.

Varyat--
    Thanks for the good info about OKeefe & Accent on Music. I've also heard good things about Chris Barry, who I think was the last Linn dealer in Chicago, will make house calls to Highland Park, and can arrange for the Koetsu rebuild. I drive a little sportscar with a fairly rigid suspension, so I'd hate to have the Linn tuned up and then bounce around on the way home.

Linto--
    Isn't Mana out of business? Does anyone make the equivalent now? I have a Target wall-mounted support, acquired when I lived in an early 20th century building with really springy wood floors. I also have a Metro shelving table, w/ or w/out casters, and a ¾" thick marble top set into a wrought iron frame and legs that would satisfy the rigid requirement, but certainly isn't light.

17. Oggy

Oggy Forum Resident

If your dealer has reset your turntable, there should be no problem driving it from New York to L.A, or indeed any long distance. Firstly ask your dealer to show you balancing and setting tracking weight and anti-skating on the Ittok, then remove the counterweight for transport.

To lock the suspension and prevent damage to the bearing, use the polystyrene square or some other suitable material under the inner platter.

The set up shouldn't go off and no damage should occur if these measures are followed.

Oggy.

18. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

19. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Ozoid,
    Yes, Chris would be a good resource. I believe that he still works with MusicDirect, so a good local vendor of quality goods.
    As far as wall shelf-absolutely the best place to set your LP12, even if you have a solid floor. Just take time in fitting it to a suitable wall- into studs or create a backplate out of 3/4" wood.
    I live in Wheaton if you are ever interested to sit and chat about the Sondek- I have 3 of them in my home.
    ATB,
    Mark

20. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Very cool.

21. Ozoid

Ozoid Member

Much appreciated, Varyat. I'll be in touch as I get things settled here. Just for starters, I'd be eager what you think of some of the upgrades, like the Trampolin and PSU. The Keel is more than I'm willing to spend right now.

The guy who's finishing my record shelves thinks he can deliver them tomorrow so I can move them out of storage, and I expect my pre-amp restoration won't be far behind. Some treasured music never released on CD is so close I can taste it!

22. Ozoid

Ozoid Member

One more thing, Varyat. At last when I contacted Chris Barry a few months ago, he was still at MusicDirect, which is a legit Koetsu dealer so I can deal with him and be sure the Black gets a proper rebuild.

And thanks, Oggy, for the advice on moving the LP12. I lost the original packing material years ago in a flooded basement. Do you know if there might be a way to get replacement materials at a reasonable price? Audio Research wants quite a lot for their packing kit.

23. Oggy

Oggy Forum Resident

Linn certainly charge a small fortune for complete packing, so unless someone is selling the box cheap, then no.

If you have got a polystyrene tile or any packing, you can use that. I have also seen people use two or three paperback books. Simply take off the counterweight, outer platter and lift up the inner platter. Put your packing under the inner platter, so the weight is on the top plate and packing, not the bearing. This will also lock the suspension.

Good luck!

Oggy.

24. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Brand new LP12 Majik with Trampolin II (just acquired recently) and Koetsu Rosewood Standard (long-term review).
    Deep, authoritative bass when positioned/mounted/supported properly. This is a very fun, incredibly fast combination. Look for a review/comparison in the spring against a new Paris Oracle fitted with Abis tonearm and most likely a Kiseki Blue cartridge (still TBD).

[​IMG]

25. Oggy

Oggy Forum Resident

Beautiful looking turntable. Classic, but timeless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.