Who played the guitar solo on "Slave" off Tattoo You?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tweed_champ, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tweed_champ

tweed_champ Active Member Thread Starter

Something I've been wondering for years now. I'm pretty sure its from the Black & Blue era, and the Chuck Berry -isms remind me of Keith Richards. Regardless, next to "Bitch" (I know it was Keith on THAT one), this is my favorite Stones solo.

Anybody have the definitive answer to this one?

2. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Gotta be Ron Wood. :cheers:

3. botley

botley Forum Resident

Keef plays all of the guitar on the original version of "Slave". You can hear a different solo on the longer version, which sounds more like Ronnie.

4. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

The Wikipedia entry also says it's all Keith. Jeff Beck recorded some guitar work for the song but it wasn't used. I had no idea Pete Townsend sings backup vocals on this track!

And there's the incredible Sonny Rollins on sax and possibly Billy Preston on organ....

Apparently "Slave" has never been played live.

5. joethomas1

joethomas1 Forum Resident

Keith-at least it sounded like him to me, more full tone than Ronnie

6. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

"Slave" as released only features the one guitar, played by Keith, from the original 1975 recording. Woody's later (1981?) overdubs were not used at all. As heard on the unedited track (from unofficial recordings) Ron's guitar not only sounds like an overdub but he had a gawdawful horrific sounding tone going on...they made the right decision to scrap his guitar track IMO.

"Slave" is one of my favourite Keith Richards guitar performances. As is "Melody" from the same sessions...I want to say "Slave" and "Melody" are the only Black And Blue era tunes Keith plays lead guitar on.

7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

If the original version of Slave that is being referenced is a "boot" version, it could be Jeff Beck. As others have said, Beck played on an early version of Slave back in February 1975.

8. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

The overdubbed guitar on the boot versions sounds way more like Woody than Beck.

9. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

They rehearsed it in Toronto in 2002 though.

10. marc roberty

marc roberty Forum Resident

Didn't Pete Townshend play on this one, or was it another track on Tattoo You?

11. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

12. tweed_champ

tweed_champ Active Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the informed replies, guys! Good to know it *was* Keith.

13. botley

botley Forum Resident

That is one of my favourite moments on the Four Flicks DVD, with Mick showing Blondie Chaplin how to play the cowbell part! I had the pleasure of performing said part in my buddy's band when they covered this tune. :righton:

14. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Interesting site. I knew Tattoo You was a mish-mosh, but I didn't know some of the tracks originated as Goats Head Soup rejects. I wonder how many of the people who praised Tattoo as a great comeback knew that there were a total of two tracks on it that were started and finished within a year of its release.

15. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Backing Vocals on Slave only

16. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Easily among on my top ten Stones songs. What a reef. That can only be Keef.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.