Who question for lukpac or anyone else

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mandrake, Aug 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mandrake

mandrake New Member Thread Starter

Which boot is the best source for the 1968 Fillmore show? Is it true all versions out there are taken from acetate? If so, does anyone know if the master tapes still exist?

Thanks in advance

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Isn't it "Shakin' All Over" Luke?

3. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I assume that you are talking about the Who's Fillmore album. I've owned about 4 different copies of this boot. By far the best is Gold Standards Shakin all over. I'm not sure if this was taken from tapes or vinyl but it does sound good. One or two songs surfaced legitimately in the early 80's on the b-side of a 12" single (can't remember the title) which leads me to believe that the tapes must exist.

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'd agree that "Shakin' All Over" on Gold Standard is the best version I've heard. "Who Were Those Masked Men" sounds like a copy of it with some very poor noise reduction added.

Every version I've heard, including Shakin' All Over, has been taken from (pretty clean) acetates. Relax fades out, the front of A Quick One is missing, and My Generation fades out. I've heard The Who has the original (stereo) tapes in their archives, and no doubt they are complete.

To the best of my knowledge nothing from that concert has been officially released.

5. mandrake

Looks like I'll be buying the Gold Standard version then (I only have mp3s of this concert at present). Makes you wonder why they sit on great shows like this and release yet another greatest hits set, Live At Leeds twice in the space of a few years (and still don't get it right) and IOW which is one of my least favourite Who shows of that era. There's no reason not release great shows like Fillmore 1968, Woodstock 69, Tanglewood 70, The Oval 1971, San Fran 1971, Swansea 76 or Toronto 1982 if they have the tapes.

6. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Ah, but who actually owns the rights to the recording? The Who, Bill Graham Productions, Universal? Could it be that there's just so much red tape involved, that nobody thinks it's worth the time and effort in dealing with it? Something tells me there's a bit more to it than just "Hey, let's put it out."

Heck, they're having enough trouble putting out the shows on their current tour for charity. I think there may be more legal stuff here than we're aware of.

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Well, keep in mind they didn't seem to have much trouble releasing:

- Swansea tracks on Who By Number and the box set
    - Tanglewood footage on the 30 Years video
    - SF '71 tracks on Who's/Two's Missing, not to mention the b-side of Join Together
    - Woodstock on TKAA, the box set, etc
    - Toronto tracks on It's Hard

MCA doesn't seem to have too many problems releasing Jimi's Woodstock set over and over.

8. Claus

Claus Senior Member

@Lukpac

can you tell, when Who's Next was recorded... I don't mean the release date. Thanks!!!

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Going from memory, spring/summer 1971. Won't Get Fooled Again was recorded first, at Keith Richard's house, and then the rest of the stuff was done shortly thereafter at Olympic studios.

10. mandrake

And they STILL haven't put out Jimi's complete unedited set at Woodstock. On CD, there's bits and pieces cut throughout, particularly Mastermind & Gypsy Woman which were dropped. Also, some of Mitch's excellent solo in Beginnings was cut. Although at least it's a lot better than the crappy old 1 CD version by Alan Douglas.

Sadly, the Woodstock movie is even worse in some respects, the instrumental in the Woodstock movie has a lot edited out of it. I'd say about 5 minutes worth of some of Jimi's best guitar work ever.

11. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

The mid eighties UK 12" of Won't Get Fooled Again has the Fillmore performance of Mary Ann with the Shakey Hand, along with another live track from 1971.

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Nope. That's the b-side mix of Mary Ann, not a live version. The same one that was reissued on Odds & Sods (remixed into stereo).

13. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Recording sights for "Who's Next"

I always believed that "Won't Get Fooled Again" was recorded at Mick Jagger's house (Stargroves?). I hadn't heard that anything was recorded at Keith Richards' house. I remember an interview with Roger where he speaks of everyone going to the adjacent room for dinner while he did the vocals on that one. When he got to the scream near the end, everyone came rushing in to see what had happened. Whether or not it's true, it's a good story.
    Mike

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Re: Recording sights for "Who's Next"

Stargroves, yes, that's it. Was that Jagger's? I thought it was Keith's. Ahh, well...

15. Alan T

Alan T Senior Member

Both Mastermind & Gypsy Woman contain Larry Lee vocals and destroy the flow of the set. Mastermind is really an awful song and has very little Hendrix involvement.

16. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I haven't heard them, but even if they're not the greatest performances that's still no excuse for omitting them from a two-cd set with plenty of extra room. Hendrix thought they were good enough to include in the set, and he does play on them, so they should be on the CD. I would guess the real reason they were left off was so Janie Hendrix could save $$ by avoiding paying out some songwriting royalties for a couple songs not written by Jimi. Chintzy.

17. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

For those who haven't heard it Gypsy Woman from Woodstock contains (IMO) some of Jimi's most beautiful playing. It sounds a little unrehearsed but just listen how Jimi's Univibe'd guitar slither's and slides and weaves and bob's around the beautiful medley line. Mayfield was a BIG influence on Jimi and this is the only example of Jimi covering one of his songs we have. It is pathetically shortsighted of EH to not include this on their Woodstock set.

Chris

18. mandrake

Exactly, their not the best performances but editing them out is rewriting history. I want the whole Woodstock set that was performed, not minus a couple of songs that Jimi played on. The chopping up of Mitch's drum solo in Beginnings was an even worse crime IMO. It's like the bonus tracks debate, if you don't like them, program your CD player to skip them, but the rest of us would like the concert as it was actually played. At least if these two tracks were there you'd have the option to program your CD, but for those of us who want to hear them it is impossible on the current CD.

19. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Aggreed. EH recently bought black and white footage of Jimi's complete Woodstock set. It's single camera and the cameraman wasn't part of the 'official' camera crew but it's possible that they will release film of Gypsy Woman but don't get you hopes up. I mean it's Woodstock, it's Jimi, it's the ONLY time he covered Gypsy Woman, it's beautiful, they have the multi-tracks and they don't relelase it?? What gives??

Chris

20. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Apparently, for whatever reason, there has been a concerted effort over the years to wipe out or pass over the fact that Larry Lee was in the band. His 2nd guitar is generally mixed down to inaudibility, his vocals eliminated, and he's rarely on camera on the video. This was the only time Jimi played with a 2nd guitarist in the band, but you'd never know it from the releases. I hate to be paranoid, but WHAT'S UP WITH THIS???

21. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

In all fairness to EH, Larry Lee's guitar was very out of tune throughout much of the Woodstock set. I was not at all disappointed when he was mixed out on the most recent issue of the Gypsys, Suns and Rainbows material. I assume that Jimi could hear it too--I get the impression that nothing got past him when he was on stage. Maybe Larry tried to tune it up between songs and the humidity kept knocking it back out. Regardless, I agree that the two songs should have been included but I also believe that EH did the right thing by mixing Larry's playing to an inaudible level on the material that was released.
    Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.