DCC Archive Who question for Steve Hoffman or Luke

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Dec 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

I was browsing in a used record store and found a good copy of the Who's LP "Who's Missing". I noticed Steve compiled and remastered it.

What I want to know is, before I attempt to master this to CD-R, has this already been issued on CD? Is the CD a Hoffman master?

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It's on CD, mastered by Steve, and in print (in Canada). Check out hmv.com. Cheap too.

On the other hand, while the LP of Two's Missing was mastered by Steve, the CD was not, and is noticeably thinner sounding, especially on the stereo Talmy tracks. That CD is *not* in print these days.

3. Grant

That sounds contradictory. Do you mean it's been remastered domestically? Will you clarify your above statement?

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The Who's Missing CD available in Canada today (and often available as an import) uses the mastering Steve did back in 1985 or whatever it was. The master has never been changed for the CD, to my knowledge.

5. Kevin Korom

Kevin Korom New Member

Luke, I think you're saying Who's Missing when you mean Who's Next? I think that's where the confusion's coming from...

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No, I don't. I mean Who's Missing. The CD is available in Canada, just like Who's Next. And Meaty Beaty Big And Bouncy.
    How about those Canadians?!

7. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Go back and read Luke's original reply. He was addressing WHO's Missing and TWO's Missing. I was confused a bit at first also until I reread his post.

-Craig

8. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

He's talking about TWO different albums, "Who's Missing" and its sequel, "Two's Missing."

Who's Missing, both vinyl and CD versions, were mastered by Steve, and the CD is still in print in Canada.

Two's Missing, vinyl version was mastered by Steve but the CD version was NOT. And, it's not in print anywhere. The CD version tends to go for ridiculous prices on ebay, but apparently sounds worse than the easier-to-find LP version.

9. Grant

Well, the LP has many clicks but still sounds quite good, and it's good music! I'll do my own transfer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.