Who Restores Vintage McIntosh and Acoustic Research (AR) in California?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by EdogawaRampo, Dec 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member Thread Starter

I have a McIntosh MC-2300 from the mid or late 1970s and some AR-9s from the same era that I'm going to want to refurbish some time in the near future.

Any recommendations for someone in California who can handle it? The SF bay area would be best but southern California isn't out of the question.

Also have an early 80s Tascam RTR and a late 70's Pioneer RTR I'd like serviced, too. Would be nice if one place could handle it all...

2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Coming back from Japan?

3. Brucedgoose

Brucedgoose Forum Resident

When I lived in San Francisco, I used Resistance Repair in Berkeley. Haven't lived there for 16 years, tho, so they might be gone. There was also a place down south, Sunnyvale area, that repaired my Infinity IRS crossover, but I can't remember the name. I think I found them in the Yellow Pages. You can also try asking The Sound Well in Berkekey, they sell only used equipment and can probably direct you. And if you surf the used amplifier listings in Ebay, you are likely to see listings for amplifier repair services.

Be glad you don't live on Hawaii island, at least as far as this is concerned. I just blew the tweeter on my PSB T2s, and the only repair shop on the whole island, Sound Repairs in Hilo, just closed. Anybody out there in Hawaii know of an alternative?

4. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

5. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

For the Mc - I'd use either AudioClassics ore Terry DeWict - and skip CA.

6. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

The Sound Well is all but closed. In Berkeley, try Berkeley Audio, ask for Kent. I think he might only do tube gear, but he's good and it's worth a shot. Had a good experience with him,

In Alameda there's Champlifier. Basically a one man shop, run by a guy named Sheldon. Supposed to be good I've never used him. I believe he only works on solid state.

There's also Sertech in San Jose, they work on everything. Guy named Norm runs that shop, he knows his stuff, very old school, and like everyone else it will take a long time for him to get to your stuff. Had an ok experience with him.

There are others but these folks are whom I'm aware of or have done business with.

Expect to pay upfront with everybody just for them to tell you what needs to get fixed, and expect it to take up to several months for them to fix it.

7. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Have you tried asking over at audiokarma.org? They have tons of combined knowledge there about this stuff.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  8. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

This. @tmtomh beat me to it. AK is a great place to find this stuff. I met a great guy here in AZ who rebuilt my vintage Marantz, but last I checked he had a 2 year waiting list. He primarily restores Marantz but he did have an old Mac 2505 on his bench when I picked up my 2245.

tmtomh likes this.
  9. John Mee

John Mee Forum Resident

you might try Tru Sound in Campbell. Nick does all my work, including my R2R tape and Audio Note gear. (He’s only one of two factory-authorized centers in the US).

10. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Der Weaselschnitzel

I've seen ads on Craigslist for Sounds Unique in San Jose, mostly selling repaired Marantz, Sansui and Pioneer units. Maybe they can also repair McIntosh. No mention of speaker repair but it may be worth a try anyway.

Some years ago I had my Marantz 4400 repaired by Classical Audio Service, a retired technician in Vallejo. It took him 3 years to get to my receiver as he had other projects before mine, and I paid after he finished repairing my receiver. His website is a bit incomplete but at least may have a contact number or e-mail for him.

11. EdogawaRampo

Thanks! Might give 'em a try.

12. EdogawaRampo

Thanks. Any Bay Area recommendations are very welcome.

13. vintage_tube

vintage_tube Enjoying Life & Music

McIntosh web site shows for 94102 zip (Bay area zip) -- Give 'em a call for your MC-2300.

R&B Electronics Service Company
    Redwood City, CA United States

Address
    1103 Oddstad Dr
    Redwood City, CA 94063
    650-363-8691

Best Sir,

Bob

EdogawaRampo likes this.
  14. EdogawaRampo

Perfect. Thank you very kindly.

15. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Sounds Unique does speaker repair, but again they take a very long time, they don't tend to communicate very well, and their finished work, at least in my case, tended to be mediocre. They do have a warehouse of vintage gear for sale, however.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.