Who should (and shoudn't) have been on the Sgt. Pepper cover?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JozefK, Apr 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ibekeen

ibekeen Forum Resident

Clara Blandick "Auntie Em" actress. She was there before the wild trip you were about to listen to after bumping your head and she was there after you fell back down to earth and had to face reality.

2. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears Forum Resident

No

3. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

I've never really liked the Sgt. Pepper cover, so I think Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band are the only people who should have been on it :)hide:). The collage trying to look like a crowd is really awkward. I know, I know...it's iconic. :shrug:

4. Bertly

Bertly Senior Member

I wonder if they were aware of Babe Ruth's impact on the sports world, albeit more so in North America. I guess baseball wouldn't have been of much interest to them.

5. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

To me this is the one face on the whole cover that is troubling. I've read plenty about The Beatles, both collectively and individually and I'm hard pressed to recall anything remotely to do with pursuit of the Occult or black magic in their timeline. Certainly, they were no fans of organized religion (or appear not to be) but certainly they were not occultists.

Perhaps he was an addition Peter Blake? Maybe he was a tweak like Hitler and JC was intended to be, but he got left in due to obscurity?

I continue to see this used as "case and point" from people to prove the band was into black magic which maybe is why it troubles me so much.

6. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Maybe. Why the future gigs then?

7. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

My wife and I were just chatting over this. How about Guy Fawkes?

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  8. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

I'm not saying that, but it was part of the zeitgeist. like with the Stones. I don't think it means they are evil, but find it just as interesting as other bands from then to today. I think you can have an interest in it without being an actual occultist. Jimmy Page was accused by occult film maker Kenneth Anger of not taking magic seriously, so that tells you all of the Zeppelin rumors and stories were overblown. But whatever floats their boat...Crowley's pic is on the cover and it just is a part of the times, like Crowley admirer Timothy Leary. It seems to fit the times, at least for certain members of the counterculture.

9. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I don't disagree at all. I certainly do not believe they were evil or had anything to with that stuff - I guess I hope they'd have better judgement. I mean, I'd almost rather have had Hitler on the cover - at least then you could say it was clearly a raz. But you're right, that whole thing was "in the air" and likeley was included at the time for that reason.

It's just one of only a few times (albeit a small one) in their whole story that I look back on and cringe. And I don't consider myself a religious person, either.

10. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Yes?

From Wikipedia:

The Prisoner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ยป

'The Prisoner premiered on 29 September 1967 on ATV Midlands, and the last episode first aired on 1 February 1968 on Scottish Television.[3] The world broadcast premiere was on the CTV Television Network in Canada on 5 September 1967'

And I know Wikipedia isn't always accurate, but these dates are supported by every other site I could find on a cursory Google search, inc IMDB.

I'm not trying to be a smart*ss here, but given those dates there's no way The Beatles could have watched The Prisoner before Pepper. Is it possible you were thinking of the series McGoohan was in before Pepper, Danger Man aka Secret Agent, which ran from 1960 - 66?

11. surf city soul

surf city soul Well-Known Member

Dion was chosen by Peter Blake.

The goons and Brian Wilson should have been on the cover.

12. gkmacca

gkmacca Forum Resident

Later work with them? I guess because they liked him. I was only commenting on why, possibly, he wasn't on the cover, not why he worked with them. Being on the cover wasn't some definitive test of likes and dislikes. Why weren't their parents on it? Why weren't all of their heroes on it? Why weren't Morecambe and Wise on it? Why wasn't Bill Shankly on it? Why wasn't Arthur Askey or Ken Dodd on it? Why wasn't Attlee on it? Why wasn't Dixie Dean or Billy Liddell on it? Why wasn't Gladstone on it? It's pretty clear none of The Beatles sat down and compiled lists with great care, rigour and deliberation. I'm not sure why there's so much concern about it now on here.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Why was the obligatory George song stuck on Side 2 ?
    Stephen Stills fave Pepper cut.

14. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

We can all be thankful that at the time John wasn't dating Yoko :whistle:

Keith V and Lemon Curry like this.
  15. galbertson

galbertson Forum Resident

Actually Elvis was on the cover [​IMG]

16. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

When I first examined the cover after being a fan (as a preteen) I thought Johnny Weissmuller was Pete Best.

17. ribonucleic

ribonucleic Forum Resident

LORD PALMERSTON!

[​IMG]

linclink likes this.
  18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I was included in the original cover design, but I had them remove me because I enjoy my anonymity.

ribonucleic likes this.
  19. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

God is also on the album cover, presented as the blue sky there.^^

Tribute likes this.
  20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Pete Best

21. Dog Ear

Dog Ear The 2nd Protects The 1st

Frank Sinatra should be on the cover. His classic 1958 album Only The Lonely shares a bit of symbiotic union with the Lonely Hearts Club Band title too.

22. galbertson

23. galbertson

24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

25. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

I'm glad Hitler didn't make the cover.

Bertly likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.