Who sold their record/cd collection to go hi res digital?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Good Guy, Sep 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

It would actually cost me a bunch to get rid of mine as I ditched all the jewel cases years ago in favor of the thin cases (except doubles an specials). I still have all the material for them, but the space savings is huge.

krisbee likes this.
  2. timind

timind phorum rezident

I read the OP that way also. But with the scarcity of music available through hi-rez download or even SACD/DVD-A, that notion seems ridiculous.

c-eling likes this.
  3. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I took it to include lossless as well. I can't imagine that any one would actually have their entire library in hi-res.

4. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I can understand someone ripping their CD collection to a hard drive and going "all-digital" in that regard, but to sell off a vinyl collection is ludicrous. Analog playback improvements are happening daily, and what's in those grooves can continue to be mined for jaw-dropping revelations. If one transfers to digital, that's it baby! Your transfer is only as good, and will only ever be as good as the equipment that was utilized.

The FRiNgE and tim185 like this.
  5. Pramit Mitra

Pramit Mitra Well-Known Member

I want to say those fighting words for everyone within the sound of my voice to hear and to heed: You can get my LPs from me only one way - From my cold dead hands! :unhunh:

tim185 likes this.
  6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i did.

7. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I was the fool who sold off a good portion of my vinyl when cd's came out, I bought into the lie at the time. I ended up buying a lot of it back years later.
    Some of the stuff i still haven't got back because of the rarity and prices. I will never let go of hard copy again vinyl or cd.

My question for those that go the all digital route and get rid of all hard copy is, Do you have any worries of corruption ect losing
    the data? Because that would suck.
    I have all my cd's about 1800 in my computer for putting in the mp3 player which I consider today's glorified sony walkman.
    records for me are about ritual as much as sound.

Turned out the LIE as I put it was really the companies not using the cd format to its fullest.
    I have bought some of the gold cds over the years and they sound incredible. have some dual layer sacd's as well
    but no sacd player as of yet. sorry if this went off topic.
    Just listened to Becks Blow by Blow Gold cd and Good God does it sound wonderful.
    I do not like these lift lock cases.

I imagine high rez is a wonderful sound but don't like the Idea of relying on a hardrive I am computer illiterate please have mercy.

8. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I guess losing the data is less of an issue if one has a safety backup. But music with no booklets or covers to read? Nothing to hold in my hand but my ....? Not for me. Not on a main system. I would love the idea of portability, such as is advertised with the upcoming PONO from Neil Young. Lp level resolution and the ability to take it to my car, etc. However, I just can't see paying all over again for the titles that I have collected my whole life. I mean, do I have to pay for a high resolution copy of Led Zep II when I have the RL pressing right there in vinyl form? I miss the old days when I could simply copy that RL pressing over to a metal oxide cassette tape, and bam, I basically have the lp in my car. Now, I have to buy a CD recorder, software, etc., to make a similar transfer. Or go PONO. Ahhhhh, nuts. Nowdays I just listen to Sat. radio in the car. It's "OK" soundwise, but nothing like my personal recordings used to be. Oh well, it just makes my home stereo experience that much better.

9. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Two words: remote backup. It costs me $50/year. I am very paranoid about data protection and I sleep very well at night.

10. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

W
    What is remote backup ? Does this mean you pay a server somewhere to store your Data?
    Like I said Have mercy I'm not computer savvy.

11. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

I use BackBlaze. Yes, it backs up to a server in the cloud. I don't even think about it unless I need to restore something, which I end up doing a few times per year.

12. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

I buy very few CDs nowadays opting for downloads instead.
    Unfortunately for my wife, I'm buying way too many records!

13. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Aye, whatever. I ditched vinyl because the CDs I owned were as good, and often better than the vinyl counterpart. Simple as that. Blind faith to vinyl, by virtue of it being, like, hey, vinyl...? Well, y'know, ludicrous and all...analogue "improvements" have had ample time to improve. It's done, dusted and finished. I mined the grooves for jaw dropping revelations, but my CD players caned them just about every time.

DiabloG and Atmospheric like this.
  14. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I have a huge lossless collection some hi rez mostly flac, and VINYL the only physical media I play these days is LP's other than that mostly flac.

15. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

NEVER

c-eling and tim185 like this.
  16. deniall

deniall Well-Known Member

Tried to go all digital. Have a library of about 1tb of music stored on a hard drive. Audio Fidelity, DCC, MFSL, HD Tracks, SACD, vinyl rips and regular old redbook. No matter how good the music and mastering, I always felt something was missing. It just didn't command the attention of vinyl and I found myself being distracted from the music constantly. I'm naturally a very jittery and energetic person who struggles to sit still but for some reason, vinyl allows me to just relax and enjoy the music without wondering what I'm going to play next or endlessly scrolling through thousands of albums.

17. Bruce in Philly

Bruce in Philly Active Member

What I ditched:
    • Sold my VPI/SME/Grado turntable,
    • Sold my Accuphase CD players.... (one is for sale on Audiogon now)
    • Ripped everything bit-for-bit to network attached storage (NAS)...
    • Sold my Magnepan MG20 speakers
    • Sold my Conrad Johnson PV11
    • Exited my dedicated sound room
    • Sold most vinyl - still have a ton but all are useless
    What I moved to:
    • My home office, small room, pure digital
    • I live on my high-performance PC and high-end NEC monitor
    • Use Foobar
    • DAC 1 USB
    • VTL 300 Deluxe mono tube amps
    • Focal 1028Be speakers
    • Grado SR2 headphones when She complains
    Why? Lifestyle change. Period. I now spend my time in my home office, on the internet, doing work, immersed in my photography hobby, and still loving music. I pursued high fidelity with a passion but always, always was about enjoying music. If I have to lose some fidelity to adapt to a new lifestyle behind a computer, then so be it.

Peace
    Bruce in Philly

Atmospheric and ElvisCaprice like this.
  18. ganma

ganma Senior Member

I sold my record collection for more than I bought it for. Not a bad investment. Though if I had the space I would have prefered to keep it.
    I still have most of my CDs ... in storage though. Never buy hi-res. Only CD ripped to hard drives.

19. analogy

analogy Active Member

Selling my cd's would be like selling myself. They're part of me. I still can remember for every disc where I bought it, with whom, or any other special memory that goes with it. I couldn't possibly have that same bond with a bunch of files on a hard drive.

Peter Pyle likes this.
  20. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I feel the same way.

21. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident

It's like being in a bad relationship. Your used to the abuse. With vinyl you are forced to listen to the whole album because it's a pain in the ass to get up and change all the time.:p

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  22. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident

Be careful, getting attached to physical objects may preclude a life of hording. Digital files on a hard drive are a blessing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grant, Atmospheric and 56GoldTop like this.
  23. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

If it's organized, it's not hording. It's a library. I've got no problem living in a music library. :)

24. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I've put just about everything on hard drives, and it was a great, if at times frustrating, project. But I can't imagine selling off all the CD's. What would I do with the wall space? Wallpaper is tacky, I don't own any real art, and now that I'm a grown-up I can't put up pictures of Heather Thomas and Patrick Ewing. So the CD's will stay.

There have been a number of threads in which the subject of selling a used CD comes up. As far as the legal question is concerned, what you need to know is that if you are the lawful owner of the disc, under U.S. law selling the disc is lawful. This is so due to the first-sale doctrine, which is in section 109 of the Copyright Act. There is a limited exception to the doctrine that applies to what are known as "restored works," but you can basically forget about that exception unless you have an academic interest in the subject, partly because very little of what is sold on CD would considered recordings of restored works, but also partly because when it comes to used CD sales, it simply is not discussed -- Amazon, for example, does not treat used CD's of Shostakovich symphonies (some of which would be restored works) any differently from used Springsteen CD's. Apart from that limited exception, the right to sell is absolute, as the Supreme Court made clear last year in the Kirtsaeng decision (which dealt with a slightly different issue but is nevertheless informative). There is no exception in the statute barring resale if someone previously has made a copy of the physical copy of the work for personal use. The only condition to lawful resale is whether one is the lawful owner of the physical copy.

Now I could offer an argument as to why ripping for the purpose of selling, as opposed to ripping for the purpose of listening on a different device, might be deemed unlawful. The key here is that the argument would focus on the ripping, not the resale, because the resale is legal, as discussed above. But it's really only relevant to an academic discussion. Nobody is litigating the issue.

On the moral/ethical question one man's considered opinion is no more valuable than any other's. As for my own, my feeling is that ripping for a quick resale (what we might call "ripping for flipping") isn't fair play, and I don't do it. But neglecting to delete a file you created some time ago when selling the CD after you've decided you don't want it anymore? Who cares.

25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Never, never, never on a sundays chance of my swapping my physicals for digital.

Peter Pyle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.