Who today is pushing the musical boundaries?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rickg, Mar 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

I think Ariel Pink ALMOST broke out of the indie niche to create something with broad appeal, but I'm not sure that he completely succeeded. Keep trying!

2. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

I totally agree. To my ears, Viet Cong are light years beyond Interpol. Way more challenging, interesting, and less obvious in terms of incorporating influences. For example, I can hear Josef K in Viet Cong, though it's not necessary clear that they're actually into them. I also get this 60s garage-psych vibe on some tracks as well. As for being influenced by post punk more broadly, I kind of feel like Viet Cong have a better grasp on it in terms of their adventurousness. Totally *not* an Interpol knock off in any way, shape, or form. Interpol could learn a thing or two from them, if anything.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  3. Pat the Cat

Pat the Cat Musical Goldminer

Yes, but Rick G (the OP) did mention the Doors. So I figure, like most of us, he may have gaps in his musical knowledge that extend past new years eve.

4. Pavol Stromcek

Some people have mentioned Ariel Pink. His stuff is sort of unique, but I feel like it too often devolves into joke rock. He'll draw from some intriguing influences, and occasionally come up with a catchy melody or something, but instead of trying to achieve something really great or interesting, he'll turn it into some goofy joke.

mschrist likes this.
  5. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

First person I thought of a well

JimC likes this.
  6. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

How very true! I've even scanned a few of these videos listed here, and I don't hear much difference between them and 60s to 80s music I've already heard. And heard better.

I would say that the last major genre shift was rap, and not exactly something positive in my opinion.

showtaper likes this.
  7. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Björk is still pushing the envelope. Scott Walker, David Sylvian. Mixed results for all three. Generally you can't move much out of the mainstream without losing a heft percentage of your audience, which is probably why the ones who really keep their edge are the people who set out as experimental artists rather than rock acts.

8. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

true....but it worked for zappa...

9. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

In addition to stuff like Josef K and Joy Division, a more obscure reference with Viet Cong is This Heat, definitely a significant inspiration for them. I like Viet Cong, but I'm not sure if they're really doing much that wasn't happening back in the 80s.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  10. noname74

I'd say Deafheaven are pushing boundaries...the marriage of Shoegaze and Death Metal is pretty unique. Alcest is in the same world too.

11. Pavol Stromcek

Yes, This Heat, definitely. I might not have nominated Viet Cong myself for the purposes of this thread, but I do think they're at least more of a boundary pushing act than a lot of bands out there that are still working with the pop/rock form.

12. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

Kanye
    Death Grips
    Swans

JimC likes this.
  13. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Of course, sometimes it's just as good to know what you like, wear it well, and to have fun doing it ...

14. Fixed. :)

Anyway: Deafheaven are interesting, as they sound like an indie band who started taking on black metal influences, which is the opposite of how it usually goes, eg. with Alcest.

15. noname74

Definitely....thanks for the correction.

16. Spooky

Spooky Forum Resident

I'm going to have to support Kanye West as well. Absolutely cannot stand his personality but man, his last few efforts were really stretching the genre.

Bjork is another one I have to concur with too. She's just insanely creative and different.

One other I just thought of that I don't think has been mentioned is: Tool. Not much I can say about them other than...Aenima.

17. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

And I think it's also working for Pink. I mean, you can like it or not, music taste is subjective. But what he does is very special, I really appreciate when an artist can make some genius stuff without taking himself too seriously (lots of great artists have fallen into that and ended up being quite boring).

I would like to add Beirut to the list of artists that, in my opinion, push the musical boundaries.

noname74 likes this.
  18. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I remember hearing a lecture by Greg Sandow about 10 years ago in which he named Radiohead and Bjork in answering pretty much this question. I thought it was a great answer myself. Right now I think Bjork is still part of the answer -- the Biophilia live concert film was fantastic. I don't think Radiohead is pushing any boundaries anymore; they seem well within the space they created (and that has more or less been colonized) 10 to 20 years ago.

19. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

Todd Rundgren. New album next week ("Global") and the Norwegian remix project, "Ruddans," just out. Always shape-shifting, even if it goes astray.

My kid turned me on to Melt-Banana out of Japan. Haven't heard the records, but the live show (Troubadour, L.A.) was astonishing. (Like an update of Rundgren's "AWATS.") They are touring U.S. May-July, highly recommended if you can handle wall of noisy sound.

20. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Grunting rapid fire monotone nonsensical "lyrics" over drum beats is nothing new, the only thing recent about it is that it is now done electronically, which means it requires very little talent at all, because the technology makes it so that it can be pieced together.

I think in reality what has happened to music is that there simply are no more boundaries. They have been erased by the fact that technology has made it so that nothing is beyond the imagination, virtually everything has been explored to death, and the limits of what is considered taboo and offensive simply no longer exist.
    Quite simply, its' all been done before and there are no more hurdles to leap over.

GLYNSTYLER, showtaper and Peter Pyle like this.
  21. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Thievery Corporation

22. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Adding to metal:
    Weight of Coronation by Horn of the Rhino

23. Glennza

Glennza Londoner, lost in the back of beyond

I've just discovered Sufjan Stevens (who was briefly mentioned in an earlier post). I am very impressed with Illinoise and plan to check out more of his stuff.

24. Glennza

Glennza Londoner, lost in the back of beyond

As a Zappa/Progressive/Jazz listener, I am always looking for new, original music and am often disappointed with what's on offer today. Still, here is Syd Arthur. I haven't made up my mind about them yet but am continuing to listen....

25. Re Kanye West: While I'm not a fan, and think his "genius!" reputation is largely based on good choices in samples and cribbing from lesser-known acts (hello, Death Grips!), I have to tip my hat to him for at least trying to push hip-hop based music forward. And while I didn't think his set during the SNL 40 show was appropriate to the occasion, I can't deny that it took some nerve to pull that off and, again, it was at least interesting and showed that he gave a damn about thinking outside the box most would put him in. How many other commercially successful acts of the 21st century so far can you say even this much about?

And after having said this, I think I'm going to pour myself a drink and have a shower. :D

jfeldt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.