Who was hurt the most by not being in the Monterey Pop movie?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JozefK, Jan 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

A lot of hippies clearly enjoying the band here four years later:

The intentional irony of the song choice also shows that Mike was highly adept at playing to an audience, so I'm sure that they would have framed a hypothetical Monterey set in the right way.

2. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

The 2 widely seen clips from Monterey Pop are Hendrix burning his guitar and The Who smashing up guitar, drums, and Wally Heider's microphone. Eric Burdon's Monterey song (cover of "Paint It Black") is one of the highlights of the film for me, both for its hyper-Velvet Underground-ish groove and the visuals (light show, fans walking around the grounds, general weirdness) that accompanied it. Some people have talked about Jefferson Airplane...the liner notes for the 80s VHS issue include a review excerpt raving about Marty and Grace singing into each other's face and how beautiful it all was.

DrBeatle likes this.
  3. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

This may be presumptuous and completely wrong-headed, but IMHO you can make a case that a major reason for Woodstock's boxoffice success was not the music, but its glimpses into this strange hippie lifestyle.

Bigbudukks and Jose Jones like this.
  4. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Not only that, but drug and emotional issues cropped up almost immediately after the release of the first album, plus the arrest of 3 members for
    contributing to the delinquency of minors at their album launch didn't help. IMO, Moby Grape would've imploded no matter what. A shame.

5. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

They were wearing the striped shirts uniforms (except Brian had a Hawaiian shirt on) at Lei'd In Hawaii in August, 1967. They would have worn that at Monterey most likely.

Might as well post the link to that show....

DrBeatle, ianuaditis and geo50000 like this.
  6. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

And even though the film depicts the audience as largely hippie-centric, photos of the audience reveal that much of the audience was
    actually comprised of fairly straight-looking suburban kids...just the types that would buy tickets to see the more mainstream acts.
    Brian Jones kind of sticks out like a sore thumb in this photo:
    [​IMG]

7. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Just to clarify, the photo in that upload is not from Hawaii...
    Hawaiian radio stations are prefixed with a 'K'.
    There is a radio station logo above Mike Love's head, that begins with a 'W', possibly WLS Chicago.

8. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I did.

9. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

The guy who set up all those folding chairs.

linclink likes this.
  10. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Woodstock? No. California would have been receptive., Yes, they would have to had left the striped shirts at home and done the PS or Heros & Villains stuff, I think their hits would have been fine. We'll never know.

11. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Is that picture on the video really from 1967? Looks a bit earlier to me, but I'm not sure...

12. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Yes, I think you're right. But the only photos I can find online are from the soundcheck, none from
    the actual shows.
    [​IMG]

13. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Yes, this pic does look a lot more like 1967. I guess it's possible they all stepped back into their strips for the show, but somehow I doubt it :agree:

geo50000 likes this.
  14. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

How about Laura Nyro. I love what littl I have seen, post original Monterey Pop.

linclink and Jimi Bat like this.
  15. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

I kinda doubt the striped shirts would've mad much of a difference, anyway.
    After all, Denny Doherty wore a muu-muu onstage, and didn't get laughed off.
    [​IMG]

ianuaditis likes this.
  16. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Clive Davis from Columbia was there. In fact he signed Janis Joplin to the label after he saw her there. I think got Pennebaker to shoot Joplin again on the second day as to have some better film on her.

FYI Clive Davis was the Columbia lawyer who wouldn't let Bob Dylan put John Birch Society on his record.

ianuaditis likes this.
  17. chodad

chodad Hodad

Definitely the Beach Boys .... their "hip" quotient would have been raised considerably.

18. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

None of the songs I listed above are Surf songs.

starduster likes this.
  19. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

I never understood that logic; had read it other places before from critics and members of the band themselves.

If they were in the live-playing condition of how the Lei'd tapes clearly indicates, their slot at Monterrey would've been completely irrelevant in facilitating that four or five year sag they experienced in the US. They weren't ready for prime time when it came to the material from California Girls and after in 1967 - that was the bottom line. It wasn't until late 1968 that they'd gotten the proper backing up for their material and by then, it couldn't have saved them in America irrelevant of any decision as far as Monterrey was concerned.

Don't get me wrong, the Friends/20-20/Sunflower material is excellent, but that's because I'm a fan of the group. That material, however, sounds like there was a reason why it hadn't become huge simply because the competition of other groups was far more flashier. It wasn't until the blues-shtick and country-flavors of CSN, Dead and others like that where the group finally started getting it's footing again and started rocking out, getting large crowds and became the legends they deserved to be.

20. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

There should be a caveat or correction to the thread title. The movie Monterey Pop was not released until the very, very end of 1968, so the inclusion or exclusion of any particular act from the film had no immediate impact on anybody's career. Any negative career impact that arose from the festival was solely down to that band's non-appearance at the festival itself (e.g. the Beach Boys) or substandard performance at it (e.g. The Byrds).

For instance, by the time the film was released, the version of the Byrds that performed at the festival had long since dissolved and the band had recorded three further albums with three very different line-ups in three very different styles.

ianuaditis likes this.
  21. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Conspiracy theories about the JFK assassination. I think he read the entire Warren Report between songs.

22. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

God Only Knows ...

23. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

He's no Carly Simon...but nice hat.
    [​IMG]

keyXVII and linclink like this.
  24. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

Maybe over the next 4 years we will finally find out if Crosby was onto something. The truth will be tweeted I am sure.

telepicker97 likes this.
  25. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.