Who was hurt the most by not being in the Monterey Pop movie?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JozefK, Jan 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stanlove

stanlove Forum Resident

Not sure about that. Most of the American public already believed it was a conspiracy anyway. They were wrong as heck but thats what they believed. Don't think anyone would care of Crosby believed it.

2. stanlove

stanlove Forum Resident

Mcguinn is spot on here and I got the same feeling basically everytime a hippie opened their mouth,.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    DrBeatle likes this.
  3. zen

zen Senior Member

I can't read too deeply into a cutaway shot. Perhaps, Cass was having a little heartburn. :shh:

starduster likes this.
  4. varispeed

varispeed what if?

As far as the "movie" (and as others have mentioned), by the time the movie came out, it was a historical archive of something fantastic that had happened. Many of us who had been at Monterey and then subsequently saw the movie in theaters felt that way.... certainly from my standpoint at the time anyway.

As to the Beach Boys.... I personally think it would've been cool for them to be there. Let's see, here they are at Monterey + 18weeks (already posted by someone earlier)......

That would've sounded pretty cool live in June. To my guess EVERYONE sitting in the bleachers would've been very happy to experience this in June. Although Darlin' wasn't yet recorded but maybe would've also been in the set. Why do I think we would've all thought the set GREAT?. Well, because no one was snooty (for lack of another scientific definition).

Watch the Association set which Terry now painstakingly recalls with cringe. No matter. It was okay. Watch it and then watch/listen to the BB set above. No one booed Pete Tork on stage with the intros. Nobody booed Tom Smothers. Nobody booed Mickey Dolenz walking around in the Indian outfit.

Imo, the Beach Boys would've certainly gone over well...... hugely well. I would've loved it. I don't know what that would've translated into for biz over the next five years. I would CERTAINLY be thrilled here in 2017 to relive that June in the form of the Beach Boys at the show and subsequently in the movie. I think there would be tremendous joy associated with that now more than ever. Alas, it was not to be.

BUT ...as an additional take on something else discussed here regarding the movie.....

As for what Bruce said, here is what Bruce said (and he's not talking about the movie)...

The Beach Boys were originally slated to play the Monterey Pop Festival but later dropped out. Was it a mistake for the band not to play that festival?

Bruce Johnston: To be honest with you, it went from “Here’s the money, here’s the offer, you’re headlining” to “Now this is gonna be a non-profit show” so we pulled out. All these guys who were making a lot of money in the music business got involved in the Monterey Pop Festival and turned it into a free thing.

So us playing at the Monterey Pop Festival might have extended the hip cool faction for ten minutes for the band. In all honesty, I don’t think we did anything hip or cool on a mass level after Pet Sounds.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    factory44 and vanhooserd like this.
  5. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

^^Truth, sadly^^

I was so excited when I long ago saw that a live Lady Friend was in the big Monterey box set....and I was crushed when I heard how terrible the performance was.

Long before the film was released, the festival itself was very big news. I remember a Newsweek profile of Monterey a week or two after the festival ended, with Janis Joplin's star turn the highlight of the article. And not long thereafter, the Hendrix and Otis Redding live albums were released. So Monterey was a really big deal to promote acts long before the film finally showed up.

michanes and DrBeatle like this.
  6. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Bruce was a hired hand at that point, so it's doubtful his opinion counted in the decision. It sounds like Mike Love didn't care for the idea of doing a free gig, and blaming Brian's fear of the laughing hippies was a better sell to all concerned. Brian was probably making more money than the pre-lawsuit Mike at that point, so maybe Brian was 'one of those guys making a lot of money in the music business...'

7. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I disagree that that assessment. Although I agree that the crowed may have been into more alternative music, I think that those great songs would have been etched into the psyche of the youth culture so long as the performance would have been a good one. I don't think they would have been any more pop than the Mama and Papa's. Their music did not go so downhill in the year and a half since the release of Pet Sounds. I think they would have been a great asset to that event.

8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The Otis/Jimi Monterey album did NOT come out until late August 1970, way after the festival (June 1967) and the film (Dec. 1968).

michanes likes this.
  9. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Definitely Larry Fine.. or was that Woodstock? :confused:

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  10. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

[Q
    From what Lou Adler says, it was more of a meltdown over imagined booing...that Nyro brought a New York nightclub act to a California show and it was not what he thought it would be.

Richard Williams on Laura Nyro »

11. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I read that too. But it doesn't explain how the rumor circulated. Yes, Laura may have imagined booing and was not thrilled with performing in general. BUT other people perpetuated that rumor. How did that come about? I dont think Laura was giving dozens of interviews saying she was booed, so who was spreading these rumors and why?

12. Commander Lucius Emery

Apparently on the Criterion blu ray Pennebaker feels that Nyro herself may have spread the rumor since she imagined she was booed. Although there is apparently nothing where she said so herself. But then she really wasn't one of these artists being interviewed every 5 minutes. Her songs were known but usually for being covered by other artists. And having a performance where she didn't get to rehearse much with a house band that didn't know full arrangements....artists are often their own worst critics.

A Myth Shattered! Laura Nyro’s Legendary Monterey Pop Performance! »

keyXVII and Arnold Grove like this.
  13. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

The Beach Boys with the Wrecking Crew behind them would have been sensational.

I'd love to have seen The Small Faces there, would have kicked the Who's ****!

14. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Forum Resident

Otis Redding got launched into the stratosphere from his set there

15. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

Thanks. Guess my memory is fuzzy. I bought both albums when they came out, but I never saw the film until at least a decade later.

michanes likes this.
  16. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

The Monkees haven't been mentioned. They were hot stuff in June '67 . . . at least among the teenyboppers. Peter and Micky were there but didn't perform, so they weren't totally ostracized. They could've played some tunes from Headquarters, The Girl I Knew Somewhere, and a garage band version of Steppin' Stone. They wouldn't have been the most awesome band there but could possibly have really improved their credibilty among the hip crowd if they'd been allowed to do so.

17. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

In John Phillips' memoirs he says something like "We finally decided not to invite the Monkees", then gives no further details. But it was considered.

18. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

Are you implying The Small Faces were invited?

Did they ever appear in the US at all?

19. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

But that is what makes Jimi at Monterey so great, book ends for his way too short career.

20. zen

zen Senior Member

Probably, because the Monkees would've drawn too much attention away from most acts on the bill.

21. Commander Lucius Emery

Found a quote about Nyro's performance in "The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Rock" by Nick Logan and Bob Woffinden of New Musical Express from 1977

"She underwent an almost nightmarish experience when she played the Monterey Festival in 1967. Nyro in gypsy Vegas garbs and backed by a black chic trio, thoroughly alienated the hippie audience by attempting to put on a soul revue and was all but booed off the stage."

I have no idea if the author was there or whom he got this from.

22. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

The scary part is, this is where I first heard the story, reading this book when I was twelve. Even then, I was like: "...is THAT ALL it took to piss off the Monterey Pop audience?" Had to have been more to it than that.

23. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

Otis and Jimi were on the same Monterey album, with one side apiece.

24. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

This thread is about the movie, he was dead more than a year when it came out.

25. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Not only that, but The Doors had already played Northern California 1 week before Monterey Pop...
    at the sadly unrecorded and lost-filmed KFRC Fantasy Fair on 6/10 & 11 /67. The Monterey Pop oversight probably didn't seem that big of a deal at the time.

sixelsix likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.