Who was your favourite 'teenybopper' act?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Nov 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

T. Rex or The Runaways

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

Sounds like they called in the lead singer of the Darkness...

This was another thing about the 70s. No one actually sang on their records! I remember being shattered by the news that Alvin Stardust was nowhere near the studio when 'his' biggest hit, My Coo Ca Choo, was recorded.

oldturkey and bob60 like this.
  3. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

4. Bobby Morrow

David Essex crossed that line between being a bit of a pretty boy that the girls (and mums) swooned over and actually making a few records with an edge to them.

Of course he gave the latter up by the 80s when he became a poor man's Shaky and Cliff.

oldturkey likes this.
  5. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Bay City Rollers. I badly wanted tartan clothing, but the best my mother could do was a plaid shirt. I also wrote to the fan club in Prestonpans (?) who sent back a signed photo of -- Ian Mitchell. Oh well.

6. Bobby Morrow

I don't think I was the only one who raced home from school to watch the Bay City Rollers' Shang A Lang TV series. In retrospect it was a bit of a mess revealing to the world the band's total lack of chemistry and inability to deliver a link. Fun though, even if you weren't a fan of their music. We must have been very easily pleased then... Getting worked up over the Rollers introducing guests like Lulu and 'Big Jim' Sullivan.:D

7. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

KISS

knob twirler and bzfgt like this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

Ian was a very short lived member in (about) 1976. The band seemed to go back to the early days when they couldn't keep the same line up for more than a fortnight.

bob60 likes this.
  9. Bobby Morrow

Some very 'rock' choices cropping up... Lord knows what our US chums would have made of Barry Blue!

10. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

The Jackson Five. Or as their logo said, "The Jackson 5ive."

I used to watch their Saturday morning cartoon when I was a kid. Their songs made it to cereal boxes, too. Of course, their music transcends teenyboppers.

Todd W. likes this.
  11. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

12. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

The Partridge Family while it was on TV (I was a tween).
    Then Sweet circa Little Willy. I did flip it over and play Man from Mecca even then.
    That was it for me.

13. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I used to rock that one Tiffany cassette back in the day.

14. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

It was hard keeping up, as an 8-year-old on the other side of the planet. I don't think I learned about Alan leaving until 1980 or something. Gleaning any sort of band info was a major undertaking. Which guys were Coulter and Martin? But it made it made fandom all the more rewarding, rather than having all the info served up to me on a plate.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  15. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

this.

nodeerforamonth likes this.
  16. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

That was a real early/mid 70's phenomenon, there were loads of singles were the vocalist on the TV shows didn't actually sing on the record. The Rubettes, 5000 vaults had Tina Charles but not on TOTP.
    I could name many others but I am only on my mobile as traveling, and had a few sherbets as celebrating Prince Harry/Merkel or something or other...

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  17. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Most of the fifties teenyboppers at one time or another (I grew up in the eighties, but I hated hair metal and synths - you had to look somewhere else!)

18. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

They were sponsored by Kellogg's Corn Flakes. They both used the same 'K'

Randoms, Bobby Morrow and oldturkey like this.
  19. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I was thinking that! I just remember the Monkees being my favourite when I was around nine, and then I thought the Rollers were ok in my early teens!

I really liked Saturday Night and Money Honey. Great singles!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  20. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident

New Edition.

21. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Special K! So they made it all the way to Aus!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(If those images are too big it's because I don't know what I'm doing - sorry.)

22. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

It's great that even though we're leaving the EU, the British Royal Family is doing their bit for race relations by marrying a German.
    Oh...wait...

Randoms and Bobby Morrow like this.
  23. chodad

chodad Hodad

Dino, Desi & Billy. Their famous parents were no doubt influential in getting them a record deal and top flight session musicians but nonetheless a few good folk rock tunes came out of it.

[​IMG]

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

who else? THE BEATLES!

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

IMO, The Bay City Rollers would have even been more successful if they lost those horrible outfits...

Chemguy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.