Who was your favourite 'teenybopper' act?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Nov 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Oh, I still think she's the definition of teenybopper act. She appealed almost entirely to young girls and did a very "safe" teenybopper style of music.

I'm not saying this to disparage DG in any way, but IMO she's a slamdunk in the "teenybopper" world!

Duke Fame likes this.
  2. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Not so.

3. Oatsdad

Well, no one else admitted it in this thread! ;)

4. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I only just saw this thread. I know of someone else on this forum who likes the Spice Girls, but I won't "out" them, they have to admit it themselves. :D

5. Oatsdad

Oh, I know our occasional SG discussion brings out the proud few of us who love them, so I know I'm not truly alone!

But I was still the only one to mention them here! :D

Colocally likes this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

S Club 7 had some catchy singles.

And Rachel Stevens’ Come And Get It is a brilliant pop album!

bob60 and Comet01 like this.
  7. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I remember an MTV show that was a SPINAL TAP mockumentary of a boy band. The roles were hilariously exaggerated, with the "bad boy" a genuine criminal and the "safe older brother boy" an overweight, balding adult. We'd quote lines from it like, well, SPINAL TAP. Anyone remember the name of this show?

8. Oatsdad

I'm guessing this was it:

2gether (TV Movie 2000) - IMDb

9. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I wonder if that album will ever get it's day.......

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  10. Bobby Morrow

It really is a great album!

I didn’t expect much when I bought it but I loved every song.

bob60 likes this.
  11. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The Beatles of course...

13. twistandshout

twistandshout Forum Resident

Andy Gibb was my favorite when I was a teen......and I also loved Partridge Family with David Cassidy. Don't know if anyone ever Heard of Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods.......and I also liked Bay City Rollers (that lead singer, Les McKeon was my favorite....and the rest are Ian, Derek, Woody and Eric). Couldn't stand Shaun Cassidy with that Da Do Ron Ron song....he couldn't hold a candle to his half brother David, in looks or singing.

14. mtvgeneration

mtvgeneration Forum Resident

Jonas Brothers. 2 of the 3 are very talented, the members played instruments, most songs were written by the brothers, and much of the music I've heard is catchy and none is what I'd called embarrassing. Most teenybopper acts have made their share of duds.

15. Bobby Morrow

I liked Joe and Nick’s solo albums.

16. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

KISS...My brother is going to hate me...again!

17. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

“Saturday Night” is a great frickin song

keef00 likes this.
  18. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Osmonds.

Darryl

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  19. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

Beatles , Monkees , Sinatra , Elvis , Spice Girls , Britney , Doors , Stones , J5 , The Who

20. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

David Cassidy

Darryl

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  21. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

As far as manufactured boy bands go my favorite would have to be The Sex Pistols.

22. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

The DeFranco Family

Darryl

23. Leggs91203

Leggs91203 Forum Resident

You know, it takes a big man to admit he ever liked Shaun Cassidy. I have never heard his music but there seems to be no shortage of his LP's at thrift.
    He looks like George Micheal might have when younger. Probably the same "orientation" as well.

Anyways, looking at some responses, seems the term "teeny bopper" is used pretty loosely. Well like The Doors?

So for my entry - When I was a kid I thought I liked Debbie Gibson. Probably just one of those weird hormonal things. It is strange though cause the "out of the blue" cover was just pretty normal, unlike some singers with crappy albums who put pictures of a sexy lady on the cover (the ONLY reason anyone bought them)

24. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

Shaun Cassidy is straight ( not that it matters ) and has had a pretty successful TV (writing , etc ) career since 1990 ------------------The Doors are in nearly every issue of Teen Beat / 16 Magazine 66-69 era , pretty much they were the TeenyBopper bibles for 40 yrs or so

25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I came into the Beatles and British Invasions a bit early to notice they were engaging the teenyboppers. Why? Because when my sister convinced us all we "had" to watch Sullivan for the first Beatles appearance, she was actually 4 years older than I, so even when all her friends were into it, it occurred to me, not "teens" per se, but "all the older people" were who they were playing for. And my brother, who was 2 years my senior, was getting me into Airplane, Creedence, the ("heavy") Beatles, Sabbath, Zappa, and everything else I considered music for people older than me...and also, for me if I chose. It wasn't until High School that it had occurred to me, all the bands we all liked, was because they were teen idols.

That said, I think I "got" the age demo when I found myself following Tommy James & the Shondells, and Gary Lewis & the Playboys. Those were "teen/slumber party/sock hop" artists; but the "heavier" artists my brother was into, were not "stooping to silly teenagers", they were "artists". So perhaps due to my siblings coaxing me into empathizing with the current musician selection, I only saw it as what was represented on covers of Tiger Beat and the like, as teenybopper bands.

Only in the last couple of decades of adulthood, would I have a guilty pleasure such as B*Witched, or Noways's Aurora (whom I gone to see live, and did not feel out-of-place at all...not eve feeling I should be accompanied by a 15-year-old girl). So these days, if there's an interesting vibe to the artists' writing or performing, or something beyond just their image that interests me, I don't feel compelled to look away from more immature material.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.