Who were the preeminent purveyors of power pop?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by seed_drill, Apr 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Kind of past the 70's, but no power pop thread is complete without this song.

jmczaja, bzfgt and starduster like this.
  2. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

The Beatles were the foundation of power pop. How could they have not been the first mentioned? So many mentioned in this thread have nothing to do with power pop.

quakerparrot67 likes this.
  3. mlew

mlew Pub Rocker

I'm originally from Brooklyn and also remember it's heavy airplay during that summer. Turns out it was
    a top 10 hit ( million-seller ). That summer featured strong AM hits, then you'd flip on the FM dial and listen to
    WNEW's Scott Muni introducing Black Sabbath!! Dark Power vs. Power Pop

ralphb likes this.
  4. trumpet sounds

trumpet sounds "The radio makes hideous sounds." Bob Dylan

The Posies - Solar Sister (Live)

BD2665 and rockinlazys like this.
  5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I guess it really depends on definitions. I would see a lot of crossover between glam and power pop. Trex, sweet? Prior easybeats, who ... not really sure about the beatles or kinks, though i love both bands .. interesting.

6. trumpet sounds

trumpet sounds "The radio makes hideous sounds." Bob Dylan

Jon Auer (The Posies) - I Could Dream All Day

7. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I said before that I consider the Beatles' early-to-mid period to be the foundation of power pop, but as seed_drill has said a couple of times, he's more interested in power pop as a "throwback" to the pre-psychedelic 60s, which makes sense. Like the way punk rock was partly a throwback to bands like the Stooges or the MC5, but those bands are usually considered "proto-punk" rather than "punk" proper. But certainly songs like "Any Time At All" or "I Feel Fine" laid a lot of the groundwork for power pop.

mark winstanley likes this.
  8. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

yea that's cool. i got to the party late, read the first and last page.
    still like i say the glam of sweet and trex, sure seemed like power pop to me

9. dougb222

dougb222 Forum Resident

Along with the already-mentioned Girl of My Dreams by Bram Tchaikovsky, I always associate Power Pop with Dave Edmunds's version of Girls Talk:

melstapler and mlew like this.
  10. MBT68

MBT68 I remember dates, names, numbers...

Big star

11. dougb222

dougb222 Forum Resident

One of my favorites, from the already mentioned Shoes:

12. uzn007

Speaking of Bram Tchaikovsky:

I love that whole album, although I consider it more "power pop adjacent" than "pure" power pop.

dougb222 likes this.
  13. dougb222

dougb222 Forum Resident

The Producers - What She Does to Me

14. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Since this thread has sort of evolved into another "post your favorite power pop songs" thread...

"Green Hearts" by Luxury

The flip-side, "One in a Million" is fantastic as well.

Clarkophile and uzn007 like this.
  15. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I picked up Rhino's reissue of John Scoggin's Pressed for Time last year. It sunk without a trace in the '70s due it being released as a tax-scam write-off by a mob-run record label.

Details from the Aquarium Drunkard:
    Aquarium Drunkard » John Scoggins :: Pressed For Time

The existence of the ‘tax scam’ LP is one of the stranger tales of the 1970s record business. In short, crooked label heads would press up demos of unsigned artists, outtakes from known artists, and other various ephemera in limited quantities that were thrown out into the market with zero promotion — all based on the hopes of commercial failure and the ability for the ‘label’ to write off the failure as a loss.

John Scoggins’ Pressed For Time is one such record, and one that has become legendary in power-pop collector’s circles. Originals are nearly possible to find, and sell for several hundred bucks when they do.

As it turns out Pressed For Time wasn’t a ‘solo’ album by any means, but the product of a New York band called Ramparts, led by Mr. Scoggins. Ramparts were a ubiquitous opening band in mid seventies Manhattan, and Scoggins himself worked as a roadie when he wasn’t gigging. In one of the more bizarre tales of A&R, the band was signed over the phone by a representative from Roulette Records new off-shoot, Tiger Lily Records (a quick search on organized crime and Roulette will take a reader on an insightful, intriguing ride through the criminal element of the music biz). Miraculously, even though the LP had zero promotion, Bomp Magazine’s Greg Shaw did, in fact, get ahold of a copy and wrote a very positive review, stating the lp was well worth the trouble to seek out.

The music itself is groovy:

Young and Restless and uzn007 like this.
  16. uzn007

And why not? :D

This just came up on youtube "autoplay" after the Luxury video:

But OTOH, if anyone wants to steer the conversation back to the original question, I wouldn't object.

As others have remarked, a lot of acts might have one or two PP songs without really making it their signature sound.

So who would the preeminent PP bands be? Maybe the OP should add a poll to the thread.

To start, I would nominate:

No brainers:
    Raspberries
    Big Star
    Cheap Trick
    The Records

For at least their hits:
    Romantics
    The Knack

Bands that get mentioned a lot, that I'm not as familiar with:
    Dwight Twilley
    The Nerves
    Shoes

Then there are a ton of other bands who have been mentioned who are great power pop bands (Blue Ash, Paul Collins' Beat) but not high-profile enough to be considered "preeminent".

notesofachord likes this.
  17. brockgaw

brockgaw Forum Resident

Jellyfish-Belly Button, Spilt Milk
    Del Amitri-Twisted
    Squeeze-Play, Some Fantastic Place
    World Party-Goodbye Jumbo
    ELO?

18. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

I'm a big fan of power pop. I agree that those are the bands that define the start of the genre, however, most of my power pop albums were recorded well after the 70's. So to call it fundamentally a 70s phenomenon is to overlook the majority of artists within the genre.

19. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

Not really. We all are killing time. But its amusing.

20. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

As the radio in my part of the world is & has always been totally pathetic the only way to discover music was to read about it & then track it down to somehow get a listen to see if you liked it.
    Having an album or artist described by a genre helped in getting pointed in a possible right direction. Much easier these days with the internet but the genre label is still a big help.

mark winstanley likes this.
  21. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Don't all threads evolve into "post your favorite" threads?

mark winstanley and uzn007 like this.
  22. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Totally agree, the Beatles were not power pop, they were a rock and roll band!

23. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Cheap Trick.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  24. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Best of both worlds.

25. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I could be wrong, but I always considered Badfinger and Cheap Trick to be at the epicenter. Could be that its just because I like those bands.

quakerparrot67 and ralphb like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.