Who Would've Stayed Cool Had They Not Died Before Their Time

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. J., May 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul Thread Starter

I am curious to find out whom the forum thinks would've undoubtedly retained their cool had they not died before their time. For example, which artist who died in the 60s or early 70s most definitely wouldn't have gone on to make a disco album or hitched their wagon to some embarrassing fad or, do I dare say it, shamelessly sell out to advertisers. I cut the age off at artists who died before 40 years of age.

My top choice would go to Hendrix. He put out four amazing albums in four short years, and they all broke new creative ground. He was always pushing the envelope, never resting on his laurels. He's like Miles to me in that way. I can't even imagine that he would've put out a cheesy blues album in his older years like some of the bluesmen of that same era who will go nameless. What do you think?

DTK, AlmostHeavenWV and SG47 like this.
  2. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

John Lennon.

RickH, daveidmarx, CDFanatic and 33 others like this.
  3. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Forum Resident

Amy Winehouse would be one of the biggest acts in the world right now.

Ern, Reis, vivresavie and 7 others like this.
  4. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Jim Morrison........without a doubt.

5. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

My crystal ball says Stevie Ray Vaughan.

6. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Cobain and hendrix

DTK and SG47 like this.
  7. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

This will just be a thread of people picking their favourite dead artist instead of actually thinking about what he or she would be like 25-30 years down the line.

8. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Did you even read the OP?

Bigbudukks, Comet01 and recklessczar like this.
  9. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

When was Sid Vicious ever cool?

10. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I'm going the extremely skeptical route here, and I only voted for Bob Marley and Amy Winehouse. I can totally picture Hendrix doing a disco album, and even if not, I don't know how he would have stayed "cool" in the 80s and 90s. What sort of music could he have done that would have retained the same social cachet? Very few older artists continued working throughout the 80s and 90s with while maintaining their cultural niche. That's pretty much limited to a handful of kinda cult/fringe type artists.

This is not at all comment on whether I would have continued digging anyone, and personally I like disco a lot, too. I'm strictly sticking with who I think had a chance of retaining anywhere near the same widespread social stature re the "cool," "hip, " etc. factor.

11. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Marvin Gaye

I know he was 44 when he died and doesn’t fit the OP, but he would have been cool at 48, 58,68 and 78.

12. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Paul McCartney :p

13. Dr. J.

Agreed. Please give it some thought.

14. ALAN SICHERMAN

ALAN SICHERMAN Van Cortlandt Park, Bronx, NY

The great Otis Redding gets my vote.

15. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

All but Winehouse, Parsons, Vicious, and Morrison would have continued to make great music.

Mike McMann likes this.
  16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Buddy Holly
    Jim Croce

pc-Ray, oboogie, Mr. H and 4 others like this.
  17. Dr. J.

It's interesting to see people picking Bob Marley. He arguably went "soft", almost adult contemporary, with Kaya but corrected that with Survival and Uprising. And then we all know what happened next.

willy and KeninDC like this.
  18. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

Buddy Holly for sure. His death changed he course of music history like none other. Imagine what he might have done through the early 60's -- he could have kept American rock alive during that time. And them imagine what the guy would have delivered once he was "psychedlicized". We'll never know, of course, but I like to think that he would have been right there with the Betles and Dylan throughout the 60s.

19. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins

Good lord, who knows what Buddy Holly could have done. That’s the one I always think of. The mind reels at the possibility of his killer mid-sixties albums, his dipping into psych in the late sixties, his singer-songwriter albums in the early seventies...

20. 3Dman

And that’s not the point.

21. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

One way to look at this is to first figure out who was "cool" when they died. Some of these artists weren't cool before they died ( Sid Vicious)--while others only became cool after they died ( certainly Nick Drake, arguably Jim Morrison).

The one I think we can all agree on is Jimi Hendrix.

Comet01 and Shaddam IV like this.
  22. dave-gtr

dave-gtr Forum Resident

Looking at the OP's question, there was one name that immediately popped into my mind. And his name is absent from the poll. He was cool then, cool now, and will always be cool. He lived and breathed rock:

Joe Strummer

GLENN, Jimmy B., Bryan Harris and 7 others like this.
  23. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Meh. He probably would have went country. Or even pop. Look at what he was doing at the time of his death. Then again, he could have gone "outlaw" in the early '70's--or folk like Dion and Bobby Darin....

24. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I don't suspect that Marley would have ever strayed that far from reggae, and the audience that most respected him wasn't going to waver on their admiration of that music over the years.

25. 3Dman

All of that would’ve been good too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.