Who Would've Stayed Cool Had They Not Died Before Their Time

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. J., May 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

None of the above, somehow they would have done something that lost them fans, at least temporarily. Those who died before the 80s, would no doubt have some of those "dodgy" 80s albums to be ashamed of by so many people now, or would have done a big band album in the 2000's, and album of tin pan alley classics, or something. Some of them would have faded from view, some would have tried vainly to keep relevent.

Suncola and Terrapin Station like this.
  2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I don't see Captain Robert Falcon Scott on this list.

3. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Kurt Cobain
    Jimi Hendrix
    Bob Marley

4. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

The only way that any hard rock bands stayed cool in the 80s was by moving in either more of a thrash direction, which I can't imagine the Doors doing, more of a hardcore/crossover direction (ditto) or more of a hair metal direction, but the latter pretty much doomed everyone (with respect to coolness) for the 90s.

5. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

Bon Scott

6. teag

teag Forum Resident

No Lennon, no credibility to the list.

Man at C&A, Frosst, timind and 2 others like this.
  7. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

My Votes go to:

Jeff Buckley
    Ian Curtis
    Amy Winehouse

I do not think Jim Morrison wanted to do Music after he moved to Paris, so unless he could have been 'Cool' as a Poetry Writer, not sure I see him being cooler, than he is now since he is seen as a music legend(at least to me), as a lot of people like myself only discovered and loved The Doors several years later after Morrison's death.

I do not think it was fair to the other Band Members though that only a photo of Morrison was used on various editions of 'The Best of the Doors' Album, as made it look like he was the Band, and some of their best songs were written by Robbie, and the Keyboard playing by Ray really made some of those songs stand out, and although I a not an expert of Drummers, John seemed to be a vital member of the band with his talent. To me The Doors are Cool, not just Jim Morrison, and I think they are the 'Coolest' Band from the late 1960s-IMO(with Jefferson Airplane, The Rolling Stones & The Kinks not far behind).

I do not think Cobain ever wanted to be 'Cool', so I did not consider him.

One person, who should have been in this pool though was Brad Nowell(Sublime), as I think his 'Cool' factor was going to explode after such great popularity of their (4th?) album with 'What I Got', 'Santeria', 'Wrong Way' & 'Doin' Time' being some of the best songs by a US Band in 1996 when Nowell died before the actual album release-IIRC.

Oh, and Marvin Gaye would have stayed cool into his Golden Years like Smokey Robinson, George Clinton, Bootsy Collins, Morrissey, Nick Cave & Bryan Ferry(and would have also included Bowie if he had not got caught by Cancer)-IMO.

Also, I just discovered The Sparks a few years ago after their collaboration with Franz Ferdinand, so that made the Brothers Mael cool with me(loved their last album, 'Hippopotamus'-I need to check out their Albums from the 1970s/1980s).

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    SuntoryTime, Dr. J. and Zoot Marimba like this.
  8. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

I see what you did there. :laugh:

9. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

As much as I love his music, I'm doubtful as to his impact going forward if he'd lived. He hadnt had a significant hit single since about a year before he died (Maybe Baby US #17). The final single of his lifetime flopped (Heartbest US #82) He had only one posthumous hit single in the US (It Doesnt Matter Anymore at #13) before disappearing from the charts completely after that despite many posthumous releases (and despite several UK posthumous hits). At the time of his death he had just done his arguably "bandwagon jumping" post "rock & roll fad" MOR recordings. Were they a one off, or his new direction? Was he even planning on continuing as a recording artist at all, considering he'd been moving into production of other artists. Plus his own record deal my have been in jeopardy with his last several singles being relative (if not total) flops.

As far as his continuing into the 60s and becoming psychedelicized, if you want to hear (and see the frankly non-existent cultural impact of) 50s stars going psychedelic (and other then current 60s styles) well the Everly Brothers did so. What did that do for their legacy? Well I'd say nothing, since all anyone really praises (or talks about at all really) nowadays (aside from a handful of early 60s tracks - most notably 'Cathy's Clown') is their 50s Cadence recordings.

davers and Shaddam IV like this.
  10. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I'm Clinton's case, he became way cooler in 90s than he'd ever been previously because of his influence on hip-hop and the extent to which hip-hop artists paid lip service to Clinton and P-Funk. P-Funk were cool with a pretty cult audience in the 70s, but really they were considered pretty dorky by lots of people at the time. They had kind of a novelty vibe, albeit a bit of an inscrutable novelty vibe. And then by the 80s Clinton and P-Funk were seen as having lost their way by the cult audience who had thought they were cool, while the more mainstream reaction in the 80s was simply to ignore the vast majority of their output.

ianuaditis likes this.
  11. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

The man was nearly 70 years old when he died. Can't really say that is before his time in the scheme of things. That was probably very close to his life expectancy.

SG47 likes this.
  12. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

No one.
    Because every rock'n'roller who lives long enough eventually becomes deeply uncool. It just comes with age.

Unlike Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry never dies in a plane crash... and lives long enough to record "My Ding-A-Ling" (his biggest hit) and get busted for installing cameras in women's bathrooms.
    Unlike Hendrix, Clapton never overdoses... and lives long enough to re-record his old songs for Michelob beer ads and spend WAY too much time with Phil Collins and Babyface.

And so on and so on.

13. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Only a couple of uncool ones there and no reason to expect the cool ones to change...

14. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I submit for your consideration 'Atomic Dog' and the Album 'Computer Games'. It is true that Hip Hop Artist made him Cool with a younger generation, but Dr. Dre sampling his music to the point that I just wanted to hear Clinton's Songs that were being sampled, did not make Dr. Dre cool to me(although loved Snoop Dogg, as his voice is so melodic as a Rap Artist, I loved his recent NHL Promo explaining 'Offsides' and could listen to his music just for his voice alone). Anyways, my point was that I do concur with you that Clinton did gain a Cool Factor with younger people and guess I fall in the middle of Original Fans and later Fans, who only know of him as the dude, whose music got sampled(glad he finally got paid what he was owed for those who sampled his work).

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  15. All Rights

All Rights Senior Member

Conspicuously missing from poll:
    [​IMG]

16. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

17. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

Was he seen as being 'cool' in 1980? Clearly still an icon, all the Beatles were even after they stopped being 'cool' but Lennon was seen to have been something of a sellout to the fringes who made him cool while musically there was nothing experimental or 'cool' in his last two albums. Solid material but he'd been away from the zeitgeist since 70/71.

He possibly would have bounced back during the anthology but then again him being so vocal may have diminished that.

AppleCorp3 and Mike McMann like this.
  18. HarrisonRichards

HarrisonRichards Active Member

Nothing against some of the people on the list but,,where is Brian Jones! The original pop star. Most likely would have have great success as a blues rock guy going into the 70's had he been able to get it together.

19. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

This is a great choice, he was changing quick and had the talent of writing quality songs. He did a lot of work before he passed at age 21. What could've been....

20. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

Yeah, I think you might be right. I change my vote.

21. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

But I don’t think he was ever considered ‘cool’.

22. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Otis
    Cobain
    Hendrix

I know it's not a good choice but I think Elvis would've still been cool. Whenever I watch "Black and White Night" I could in-vision Elvis there instead of Roy. The jumpsuits would be gone and it would just be Elvis in a leather jacket crooning them out and strumming the guitar. Not sure if he would be recording any note worthy music, but he would still be cool!

23. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

Contemplate these four words:

Jim Morrison solo album.

24. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Buddy Holly
    Ian Curtis
    Otis Redding

25. Cizin

Cizin Forum Resident

Same.