Who Would've Stayed Cool Had They Not Died Before Their Time

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. J., May 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amazing music for sure, and Uprising was particularly strong, but the more I read about Bob the less cool he seems to me.

2. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul Thread Starter

When one of the coolest guys on the planet wants to hang with you, you're cool!

[​IMG]

3. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Coolness by your definition is what young people at any given time of history like.

I don't think that's what cool is, or a useful definition.

Detroit Music Fan and bzfgt like this.
  4. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

It's just that some of these people were heavy users, so if they'd survived, they might have wound up being useless junkies eventually. With one obvious exception, not many people recover from being a junkie and return to creativity.
    Amy had kicked junk and drank herself to death, I would hope she would have been able to come back to some part of her creativity, she was so damn young.

5. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

Elvis got old and stopped being cool in the early 70's. By the time of his death, he was often ridiculed for his behavior and appearance. His music wasn't too highly regarded (or even popular) at the end either.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  6. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

"What if nothing in the world was cool?" - Steven Van Zandt

7. TheRollingZeppelin97

TheRollingZeppelin97 Member

Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  8. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Well, Strummer was FIFTY, over a decade older than the OP's cut-off age of 40. That might explain his exclusion from the poll. :whistle:

Dudley Morris and Hardy Melville like this.
  9. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I actually didn't say anything like that, and I wouldn't agree with that, at least not as an exhaustive definition.

At any rate, nothing I said suggested that simple popularity, whether with younger listeners or not, is what coolness is. And if I were implying that, I would have given a list of currently cool stuff a la Adele, Ariana Grande, Beyonce, Drake, Ed Sheeran, Justin Bieber, etc.

We do need to be referring to some sort of consensus (otherwise what would we be saying differently than "Hey, I still think that Johnny Mathis is cool" etc.), but I wouldn't say that simple popularity is what it is, or that we have to be talking about a particular demographic. In fact, I specifically made a comment about this earlier that made it clear that it wouldn't just be about one demographic.

10. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

...depends on what you mean by, 'stayed cool'.......

Crimson Witch likes this.
  11. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Yeah, by the time of his death, the general impression was that Elvis fans were the sorts of people whom you'd only see emerge from the woodwork at state fairs, say--those sorts of folks where you'd say, "Where are these people the rest of the year? I never see anyone who looks/dresses/has-personal-hygiene etc. like this anywhere but here."

Hot Ptah and snowman872 like this.
  12. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I don't know, Bob Marley has essentially been reduced to a caricature in death. I can't imagine his fate would have been better had he lived.

13. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Who'd have stayed cool? No one. The baggage of life gets to everyone eventually and these people's lives were lived out in the open. Their reputations would invariably get tarnished as time went on.

OK, maybe two or three of these people would have stayed true to themselves and would've been cool all their lives, but most I think would been found to have had feet of clay, eventually.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  14. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Jimi.

SG47 likes this.
  15. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

If you base everything on how things were portrayed on TV, sure. Yes, he gained weight and TV comedians ripped him for that, but if that's what you're going to choose to base all perceptions on, I think you're missing a few pieces of the puzzle. I saw him in concert in '76 and it was absolute madness.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  16. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Eddie Cochran:cheers:

Mark J, SG47 and dukesdown like this.
  17. dukesdown

dukesdown Active Member

Lol, Jerry Garcia? He ruined his health and looked 80 years old by the time he died at 53. That's hardly "aging well".

18. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

disagree, there a lot of artists who recovered from heavy drug use to remain artistic

19. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I didn't mean in that way.

ianuaditis likes this.
  20. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

The only one from the list I can’t imagine being uncool is Jim Morrison, because IMO coolness was his main asset. The rest are either not so cool from the beginning, or are capable to hold artistic credibility and to create interesting music outside of the "coolness" frame.

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  21. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

I'm a huge Pistols fan but he was the worst thing that ever happened to them. Totally sucked. All image, no talent.

Man at C&A likes this.
  22. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

But if he expected to live to 100, then it was. Not quite for you or anybody to say.

23. There's a quote where Pete Townshend says he could never see Hendrix selling out.

The Ole' Rocker and SG47 like this.
  24. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

25. psus2h

psus2h Active Member

John Lennon for sure!

oboogie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.