Whoops! Here's the SNL newshead poll

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mdp7751, Dec 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdp7751

mdp7751 New Member Thread Starter

I hope

2. mdp7751

Dennis Miller by a nose over Norm McDonald, but both very intelligently-good and spot-on comics in the timing department.

3. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

I'm just the reverse - picked Norm by a nose over Dennis Miller. Kevin Nealon? Uh, no way.

4. mdp7751

Yeah, I think Nealon is the worse too. Although his opening (spinning in his chair) is the best. He always seemed a little nervous.

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Hey - why aren't Jane Curtin/Bill Murray part of the poll?

6. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Yeah, really...or Point Counterpoint...with Curtin/Ackroyd...:D

I think Fey/Fallon are consistently funnier, but Norm was my favorite for a long time...until he got canned by Don Ohlmeyer for making too many OJ jokes (OJ and Ohlmeyer are friends). Colin Quinn can't even say a sentence without stumbling over his words - though I think his new show is a better forum for his marble-mouthed-ness.

7. mdp7751

I thought about that and was actually a little hazy on how that went down. I know Ackroyd was never a full-fledged ancor, and my memory of Murray is that his stay was either eratic or short-lived. As for Curtain, my recollection of her is saying " . . . and have a pleasant tomorrow."

None of that means they shouldn't be on the poll, it just explains my weird hazyness-then-issue-avoidance.

I do love Bill Murray and Jane Curtain, though, for what that's worth.

8. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

For me it's a tie: Dennis and Norm. The only ones who knew it was bullsh*t and weren't afraid to say it. Norm gets extra points for pissing off Don Ohlmeyer (sp?) and saying "Now here's the fake news" at the start of his segment.

Best Norm bit:

"Number 1 on the charts this week: Better Than Ezra. At number 2: Ezra."

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Okay, it's an outdated list - it states that Colin Quinn's the current anchor - and it comes from some AOL dude's fansite, so it might just be wrong. But here's a list of all the various anchors - looks pretty accurate to me based on my memory:

Chevy Chase (1975)
    Jane Curtin (1976-1980)
    Dan Aykroyd (1977-1978)
    Bill Murray (1978-1980)
    Charles Rocket (1980-1981)
    Gail Matthius (1981)
    Brian Doyle-Murray (1981-1982)
    Mary Gross (1981-1982)
    Brad Hall (1982-1983)
    Christopher Guest (1984-1985)
    Dennis Miller (1985-1991)
    Kevin Nealon (1991-1994)
    Norm MacDonald (1995-1997)
    Colin Quinn (1998-present)

10. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I agree that the Bill Murray/Jane Curtin team was a favorite. Especially when Emily Latella would pop in for words about "Viloins on Television", or something like that. THAT was classic.

11. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

I voted for Chedder Cheese.... and Your Not!:D

12. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Dennis Miller was, by far, the best "Weekend Update" host. Unfortunately, he hasn't been funny in two years...

Norm is a very close second, while Chevy comes in third.

[​IMG]

And remember, folks, if it hasn't been edited at least once, it's not an AKA post. :) :edthumbs:

13. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I like Norm!

miss him.

14. Dennis Miller by a long shot, follwed by Tina and Jimmy. The two current news readers are very funny. :laugh:

15. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I vote for Norm but Fey and Fallon are a very close second. Fey in particular is brutally funny and brilliant.

Personally I think Chase has always been overrated. His smart ass persona was humorous at first but it doesn't really hold up over time. He's had a few good films but for the most part his shtick is boring, IMHO.

The worst by far was the regrettable Charlie Rocket, who was part of the worst cast in SNL's history. I have one of those wretched shows on tape (the one where a desperate Rocket said the "F-word" live) and it's perhaps the most painful and longest 90 minutes of television imaginable!:eek:

Dan C

16. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

One bit a while back, Norm was talking about Kenny G's new Christmas CD. He then said "Happy birthday, Jesus. Hope you like CRAP!" :laugh:

Dan C

17. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

I remember that one, Dan. That may be my favorite Norm moment of all! Then, of course, there was his ability to work the term "crack-wh#re" into almost every newscast. :eek:

Jay

18. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I'd vote for Tina Fey, but she's kind of undone by Jimmy Fallon, who seems to botch half his lines. And he doesn't remotely have the gravitas of a real news anchor, or even an adult, to make the conceit funny -- he always strikes me as someone who might be reading the "news" on MTV or Disney Channel.

Then again, I laughed when Adam Sandler left to do movie work, thinking, "Who would pay money to see the absolute worst cast member in SNL history do that stupid voice for ninety minutes?" So I'm no judge of what people find amusing.

19. nashreed

nashreed New Member

Norm rules!

"Last year's number #1 worst job, crack whore, has been replaced. This year's #1: Assistant Crack Whore"! (or something like that)

I didn't realize that there was a different news person every year during the SNL "dark times" of '80-'85. You just never see those episodes at all do you? (I'd love to see that Charles Rocket episode!)

James

20. mdp7751

21. mdp7751

I really need to start proof-reading my postss. Becuz I don't I don't think my streams of concisionsciousness flavin is doingg me justis

22. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I actually loved the 84-85 season with Crystal, Guest, Short, etc. They did some truly hilarious work that short season. Those shows still pop up now and then on Comedy Central (or is it E! that has them now?)

However, Guest's work as news anchor was very disappointing. He's redeemed himself quite nicely since then. :)

Dan C

23. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Both Guest and Dan Aykroyd had the same thing to say about being the news anchor: they hated it because it required them to be themselves, and they felt like they did their best work when immersed in a character. That's why Aykroyd gave up the job after just one season. The best anchors were the ones who had fairly strong, distinctive personas: Miller, McDonald, Bill Murray. It is interesting that nobody has ever developed a newsreader character... everybody always plays a version of themselves on Weekend Update.

24. Beatlesfan03

Beatlesfan03 New Member

And his Frank Stallone jokes.

I'd have to say Norm with Dennis a close second.

25. mdp7751

Absolutely! You nailed THAT!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.