Who's attending the 2018 Axpona Show audio expo in (suburban)* Chicago?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Shawn, Apr 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

Looks like we've done that, given the reported demographics. I didn't scare off my kids nor prevent them from playing with my audio and video toys, hence I have two musicians and a computer expert as adult children. I keep wishing we'd find ways to interest the next generation. I like it better when we're not an elite club.

-=Rudy=- likes this.
  2. timind

timind phorum rezident

Klaus posted this link over on AudioCircle this morning: AXPONA 2018
    He get's a nice write up in it. He also stated he used the same basic equipment he used at last year's AXPONA.

Minty_fresh and -=Rudy=- like this.
  3. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I think mine were afraid of it all--even as toddlers they never really approached it.

I would have brought my younger daughter along, but she's in the last two weeks of the semester, and will be for three more years. As for the younger generations, many of them can be found at the headphone exhibits. My two Chicago pals ran into a younger co-worker (in his 20s or early 30s) who was hanging out on the 15th floor in the Woo Audio exhibit. I did see a few younger faces scattered around some of the rooms, so maybe there is hope for us yet!

kevinsinnott and timind like this.
  4. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

My hat is off to both of you as caregivers. I cannot imagine what you are going through. I seen friends and relatives go through being caregivers, but I just cannot imagine how hard it must be.

EddieMann and timind like this.
  5. Tony Plachy

What, no XXL! :winkgrin:

recstar24 likes this.
  6. Tony Plachy

I know what you mean. I first met Roy at an NYC audio show some years ago. It was the middle of the afternoon and we were seated next to one another at a seminar. Roy opened his briefcase, pulled out a flask, and poured himself a shot of scotch. He then turned to me, introduced himself, said it was very good scotch and asked me if I wanted a shot.
    I thanked him but said it was a to early in the day for me to be drinking whiskey (in truth I do not drink whiskey, beer and wine - yes, whiskey - no). :shh:

7. bean_counter

bean_counter Well-Known Member

I saw more young people this year, I think some of the headphones generation are moving to speakers as they settle down. I saw one hipster more than one disappointed in how REALLY bad his favorite music sounds on good gear, though. My 21yo daughter went with me again this year; she might actually get a decent job and afford some gear soon.

Saw a LOT more wives with husbands this year, at least on Friday. That gives me hope for the industry, that more people are actually intending to buy.

And honestly, most of the people of color there Friday I remember from prior AXPONAs.

timind likes this.
  8. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Because 90% of what's being demoed is probably forever out of my reach, the highlights for me usually depend on what's playing in a room while I'm in there. I get tired of hearing Steely Dan, Dire Straights, and Patricia Barber, so recordings off the beaten path tend to impress me a bit more. Classic Audio Creations was playing a Loreena McKennit album that was very nice. Another room (I think it was Audio Quest) was playing Nick Drake's Pink Moon, and I was blown away (go figure) by what was coming out of the speakers. Gershman Acoustics had Albinoni's "Adagio" on, and it took me a long time to realize that it was the basis for Renaissance's, Cold is Being, perhaps my favorite song of theirs. I took time to compliment those in another room for their choice of a beautiful Mozart piece. Anyway, I kind of treat the show as a way to spend a very pleasant afternoon listening to beautiful music in a way and manner I probably never will in my own home.

9. olschl

olschl Forum Resident

Can you share your results, please?

10. Shawn

Shawn Senior Member Thread Starter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.