Who's going to see "Tusk"?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by vince, Sep 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law Thread Starter

You know what............ I AM!!!
    Having been a loyal SModcast listener, since the beginning, I'll be there!
    Not only is this the first film where the protagonist is a pod-caster, but, the first time a fan has actually HEARD the idea being 'mulled-over', joked about, then, acted upon!
    Like most 'artists' I love, I'm willing to pay for that kind of active creativity; and I don't care if it's good or bad.

heatherly and nbakid2000 like this.
  2. danner

danner Forum Resident

I am a little curious about it. I was a loyal SModcast listener until Kevin became a full-blown stoner. After that, I think Kevin started to lose his sharpness, and the podcast just kind of turned into stoned ramblings. Too bad. I still check in from time to time though. I'm actually more of a Tell 'Em Steve-Dave fan now.

Mark Nelson likes this.
  3. vince

He may be a 'rambling stoner' at times, but he sure does keep himself busy. He's already in the middle of his second film, in this 'strange Canada' trilogy!

4. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

I'd like to see it but it isn't playing at my local theater....they never play anything remotely indie. Unless it's low-budget religious flicks like Left Behind or God's Not Dead.

5. vince

Sounds like the perfect place to show "Red State".... nyuk, nyuk.

One Louder and puffyrock2 like this.
  6. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Me.

Hopefully it'll be closer on the spectrum to 'Red State' than 'Cop Out.' I'm pretty optimistic.

7. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The Philly paper today savaged it. I mean just tore it apart, with the kind of bluntness you rarely see in reviews. Interesting.

8. vince

Really?
    I thought Philly was a 'Smith-loving' city........
    I know, however, that people who hate him, REEEEEAAALY HATE him.

9. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

The Philly movie critics are notorious for being harsh.

10. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

Moose Jaws sounds like it will be a blast. Can't wait for that one. And Clerks 3!

TESD Rules!

11. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Only if Fleetwood Mac are in it :)

John DeAngelis likes this.
  12. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Clearly, history is being made TODAY, and I am grateful to say I was alive when the first film where the protagonist was a pod-caster was released.

minerwerks and drivingfrog like this.
  13. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Apparently their music is.

14. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I am going to see it next week sometime. I was going to go this weekend with a fellow Kevin Smith fan but he's busy all weekend. I'm looking forward to it.

15. vince

Just got back.....what a tail!
    Firstly, YES, the Fleetwood Mac song IS in the movie, plus, a wonderfully creepy 'instrumental' version, at the beginning.
    Now.... this movie is NOT for everyone (kinda "Misery" meets "The Human Centipede")
    BUT, like Zappa, the plot and it's resolve means NOTHING when you see the stellar acting from ALL the players, and, the wonderful bunch of 'inside jokes' for all of us lovers of the SModcast podcast network. From Justin's ring-tone to the name of the 'burger-joint' where Depp tells his story; tons of 'spot-the-reference' items throughout the picture.
    I only recommend it, if that's your thing. The wife loved it! She even cried at the end!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
    DreadPikathulhu likes this.
  16. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I wonder how many of the jokes I'll get -- probably the big ones, but the more obscure ones will probably pass me by as I haven't listened to the podcasts in a long time.

17. DreadPikathulhu

This may motivate me to see it.

18. MekkaGodzilla

I see what you did there.

19. vince

On a personal note, the song "Tusk" has a special place in my heart; it was the FIRST thing I saw, when MTV was made available on our house, way back when.

20. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

I've been a Kevin Smith fan from the "Clerks" days, and I actually wrote on the Movie Poop Shoot site circa 2002-2004. I didn't see "Cop Out," but I've kept up with the rest of his filmography and have primarily positive things to say about all the films up through "Red State." Last summer, I went to see "Jay and Silent Bob's Super Groovy Cartoon Movie" on the screening tour Kevin and Jay Mewes did. I thought that script was pretty lowbrow and tedious, but I cut it a lot of slack because Kevin was giving Jay a chance to make his own movie, much like the old days where he helped friends make "Drawing Flies," "A Better Place" and "Vulgar."

As I sat through the first half of "Tusk," I was pleasantly surprised. The movie was appropriately creepy and I liked the performances. But at a certain point, everything turned sideways and I seemed to be watching a completely different movie. To get into the specific reasons would be entirely spoilery, so it would be rude to list them now (perhaps in a future post with spoiler tags), but needless to say, I was seriously disappointed.

21. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

It looks like another box office bomb for Smith. I want to see it though

22. vince

Once again, I'll play the 'Like Zappa....'card.
    Fans don't care if it gets a little 'gamey'. I think the bit you're talking about is during the 'flashback' at the burger place.
    The back-and-forth, in my mind, went too long, but, knowing Kev, he's wasn't gonna cut a second of those two actors. I accepted that.

23. MekkaGodzilla

Smith's "fans" didn't seem to care much at all.

The guy has 2.6 million Twitter followers. Just for the sake of argument, let's say one million of those followers are here in the U.S. alone. That's one million folks buying a $9.00 movie ticket. Some bring a significant other to the film. So we are talking a MINIMUM $10 million dollar opening weekend, right?

It made $886,000.00. That's like FIVE paid admissions per showing.

Where's his fan base now?

24. vince

You know.... I think there WERE five people in the theatre..... my wife & I included!

25. DreadPikathulhu

I don't think his fan base cares about him tackling "serious" movies. They'd rather see Clerks IV or Mallrats II.

I do plan on seeing this one eventually, but as a rental.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.