Who's music do you hate? (meta discussion)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sound, Mar 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sound

Sound Member Thread Starter

Who's music do you hate?

And do you really think anyone cares?

Just glance at page 1 of the thread list this Sunday morning:

1) What singer makes you sick?

2) Overrated hits in music history.

3) What's the worst sounding cd in your collection?

Due to this sentiment, it's this forum that is becoming the 'most overrated in music history'.

Here's one vote that we try to dwell on the positive aspects of our beloved hobby, not the negative.

If I may, I suggest we change the 'Who's music do you hate?' categories to 'Who's music do you love?'
    The info from those threads are useful.

dennis

2. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

I share those sentiments Dennis and whilst people have a freedom to express and post on these threads I feel that there is a highly destructive element to them that may adversely affect the chance of some of the music we would like to be remastered in the way we wish.

Applying Bob's rule I wouldn't personally feel proud by posting unless i could be constructive.

JMHO

All the best - Andrew

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Just to get things straight, does this constitute an " I hate threads about things that people hate" thread? :confused:

I don't necessarily disagree with the sentiment, but we are not approaching it in a way that spins things any more positive here. The best way we can actually raise the level of discourse will be to actually raise the level of discourse rather than complain about how low it has gotten.

Onward and upward...

Regards,

4. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Re: Who's music do you hate?

Although I am not sure exactly that these threads will actually "do any damage" I too have noticed that there have been more negative threads crop up lately.

5. Sound

Sound Member Thread Starter

I apologize.
    I was just burned out that all this negative stuff shows up on a glorious Sunday morning.

No I'm told it's Monday.

Nevermind.

dennis

6. cliff barua

cliff barua New Member

Can't diagree with your sentiment but I think people are just having fun, and it also showed how varied people are (proving that a like of Springsteen or Dylan is not necessarily universal). I just thought that the "singer making you sick" evolved into "singers you don't like" and more misinformation. You could dislike Michael Jackson for a number of reasons but his singing style?? Britney is not an oversinging diva (maybe they meant Christina?). Brian Johnson is from Newcastle, not Sheffield. Shania Twain is not big breasted but nice breasted (push up bras notwithstanding), etc.

And that's the problem with these sorts of threads. They start off as fun and quite enlightening, and then just turn into personal dislike lists (i.e. the humour and creativity of the earliest posts is lost). But all in all, it's just a bit of fun, and it's quite harmless (IMHO).

Cliff

7. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

You raised a good point, Dennis. The bashing has gone a bit overboard lately and you never know whose lurking here: Famous Visitors Thread

8. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I don't hate music, but I don't like all kind of produced MAINSTREAM-RADIO music... that's also the reason why I don't own a radio,-)

9. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

Same here, listening to radio depresses me. I haven't plugged the antenna on my receiver yet. :)

10. jroyen

jroyen Forum Resident

There's a difference between being critical and negative. Critical thought requires balanced analysis and careful thorough consideration of all factors. Negative thought is biased, extreme, and filled with hubris.

It's one thing to have serious thoughts about music; it's another thing to take ones self too seriously. :)

11. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Sound, all,

For what it's worth, the Gorts agree with you wholeheartedly.

I decided to try and experiment in the "overrated" thread. Take a look.

jeff

12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I would like to think that threads like these are an avenue for the forum to "get it out of their system". It's probably like being passive/agressive, you hold it in until it all comes out in one big negative thump! I could give you an example of what I mean but it would have socio-political overtones, and that, too, is a no-no here.

Hey, do I detect some threadcrapping going on in this thread about negative threads?:D

13. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Hey Grant!

I like your new Avatar!:cool:

Bob:)

14. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

It's almost perfect! Just needs a face where the sleeve hole is:D

That's the ticket...;)

ED:cool:

15. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Who's music do you hate?

I was gonna say that I hated the music that guy who lived in the apartment above me played all the time, but the thread has changed a bit. ;)

I didn't mind the "worst sounding CD" thread at all, it's easy to find good info about which masters or issues to avoid.

I agree with Bob, I like Grant's new avatar. That's the A&M 45 sleeve from the mid 70's, right? I don't think I have one.

I'll stop rambling now...
    Dan C

16. Grant

I found it on the label thread.

17. Peter D

Peter D Forum Resident

Are threads like "most overrated album" useful? Not in the sense that a "which version of Dusty in Memphis sounds best?" thread is. But a thread that asks us to provide a caption for a photo of Mick and Keef isn't particularly practical either. What these "useless" threads do provide is humor, entertainment, and, in the case of the "overrated album" thread, alternate viewpoints (as jroyen points out) and a chance to blow off a little steam (as Grant notes).

Thus, for what it's worth, here's another vote for allowing people to express their dislikes. My tolerance for dissent in musical taste was no doubt strengthened by the fact that I was a Captain Beefheart fan in high school, so I quickly got used to my friends not liking the music I liked. I even occasionally took perverse delight in exposing them to weird stuff to get their (usually negative) reactions. But even so, I sometimes feel a bit odd being one of the few people in this forum who apparently doesn't worship Pet Sounds and Who's Next. So it does make me feel a bit better to read comments from people who aren't fond of those albums either. And isn't that a teeny bit useful?

I realize that it's probably hopeless to expect civil debates on politics in this (or any other) forum, so I don't disagree with the ban on such topics. But surely we can all agree to disagree about music in this forum--and in a reasonable manner, without offending or being offended.

18. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Ok, Dan C, if you don't mind, I'll pick up the rambling from where you left off... ;)

I was down in Florida two weeks ago. The car rental had satellite radio in it where one could choose between everything '60's, '70's, 80's etc. It was great (except it DID repeat itself!!!! :realmad: ) and - by golly - had dance and disco music on it.

It was very enjoyable! It's been years and years since I've heard some of this stuff and I don't remember dance / disco music sounding that good! Great dynamics and it sounded to be uncompressed.

So maybe it's not the actual tunes on the radio that turn me off.... maybe it's the compression on the radio!

19. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

Harpo doing a gookie would be perfect.

20. Grant

But, I think there IS a place here for dissenting views. The thread topic has to allow for it though. I have read many "specialty" magazines with only positive reviews of music. They are totally useless. If an album is lousy, you'll never know it from the "positive" review, obviously designed to keep the readership happy. I do like a little yang to a yen, but it should be done democratically.

If you don't like something, don't call all of the music crap just because YOU don't like it, ot because it doesn't connect with you. Someone else may love it. Maybe it's the song that they associate with an important even in their life. Maybe song "X" is a poster's deceased sister's favorite song. It would deeply anger the poster to have someone come along and totally trash the song, and people who like it. Say, the only music a poster grew up with is rap music. To have a dozen posters come along and trash the one thing that is part of his culture is very offensive.

21. Mike

Mike New Member

Sez you!

[​IMG]

22. Grant

Homina homina homina...
    Why do I feel like that photo was "enhanced" in the breast area?

23. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

What - her hands aren't really that big ? :eek: :laugh:

&ru

24. Grant

Just trying to keep this thread off topic!:D

25. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Don't worry, we're not going to kill all dissenting threads. There were just TOO many of them going on at once. As Sound pointed out, the front page was totally depressing to look at, and had been for a few days.

Grant, your point is taken. However, I personally prefer that dissenting opinion occur in the natural course of things. Say, a discussion about the Police SACDs, some will like them, some won't.

Starting whole threads just to post which artists or songs suck is just SO NEGATIVE. Personally, I don't see any good coming of it, but that's just me.

jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.