Who's Next deluxe treatment

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, Aug 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I though all of the Quad soundtrack stuff was done in '79. Anyone know for sure?

Chris

2. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

Astley has nothing to do with the remix of Quadrophenia, but this seems to matter to absolutely nobody, so I'll be quiet.

-D

3. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Four Faces was recorded in 1973 except for the vocal and some overdubs, and it has Keith drumming. Here's an excerpt from an old Townshend interview posted on alt.music.who awhile ago:

'Quadrophenia', the film based on The Who's 1973 album, will be
    released in September. "Hopefully with some large-scale promotional backup from the band to show it's not a tombstone!" Townshend quipped. "I'd like to see the new Who performing sections of 'Quadrophenia' in some promotional concert campaign in September or October."

Drummer Kenney Jones, formerly with the Faces, who joined the group
    earlier this year, has already recorded new sections for the 'Quadrophenia'
    soundtrack including three songs which did not appear on the original
    album. One of them, 'Joker James' Townshend mentioned, dates back to 1967. "I submitted it with the other material when we recorded 'Quadrophenia' in 1973, but it sounded too 1967 so we didn't include it," he laughed. "We recorded it again and I just love it.

'Get Out and Stay Out' was intended as a fill-in track, but never used. We did a track of it this time with Kenney and the director used it twice in the film soundtrack. It was done in one take, we just knocked it off . . . it's got a slight Nashville feel to it.

The other new cut is titled 'Four Hang Up'. I wrote it originally as a
    theme for the whole 'Quadrophenia' project," Townshend recounted. "It
    actually has some archival Keith Moon drumming on it. We've added a few things, did a new vocal line, and we're hoping to put it on the album."

From an interview with Pete Townshend in April of 1979 conducted by
    Barry
    Taylor and Phil DiMauro:

4. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

As David says, JA had nothing to do with the Quad remix. Don't let the facts get in the way of a good bitching session.

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Funny...the MoFi is pretty lifeless and flat, actually. While the remix has issues of its own, I'd say overall it sounds a lot better. The Real Me kind of blows on the MoFi.

Now, I haven't heard the "good" Polydor pressing of the original mix, but we're not talking about that, now are we...?

And, as David mentioned, Astley had little/nothing to do with the Quad remix.

6. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

For those of you who mentioned Lifehouse, does anyone have the 6 CD Lifehouse Chronicles box set that Pete Townshend sells through his eelpie.com website? I really enjoy it. The radio play is especially chilling if you listen to it in the dark.

David Schwartz

7. Dob

Dob New Member

I thought the "good" Polydor one was the German one...

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I've got a German copy, which is a clone of the MCA, which is virtually the same as the MoFi. It seems as if Polydor upgraded or downgraded their CD somewhere along the line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.