"Who's Next" - Do We Have A Winner?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lukpac, May 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member Thread Starter

The original Japanese CD has hiss between songs. The Canadian CD has it blanked between most of the songs. On both CDs, at the end of Song Is Over, everything (music and hiss) very slowly "fades to black". I believe there is a small dead spot, then Getting In Tune comes in with music and hiss together.

I don't have my US copy handy, but I'm pretty sure it's different on there.

St. Troy likes this.
  2. lukpac

Keep in mind the Canadian CD is (apparently) from an analog copy of Steve's mastering, and as such, has slightly different timings from the Japanese copy.

3. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

Since this thread keeps popping up I decided to go dig out my 80s? copy of Who's Next (I bought the remaster used recently) and it is a Made in Japan version. The inner ring has S 4 E 22 stamped on it. No bar code etc. Do I have the real deal?

4. lukpac

Well...how does it sound?

5. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

If I recall correctly I purchased this CD around the time they came out and had only played it a few times in my car. When my car CD player went screwy I took all my CDs from the car and put them with the others in my collection. Then about 2 years ago I came across a used remastered version of WN ($5) and had only played that one about twice on my home system. It sounded decent but nothing to get excited about.

So late last night after re-reading this thread I dug out the original and gave it a spin. It sounds...outstanding! I actually had this CD with a batch I was going to trade at the local used CD shop since I had bought the newer remaster. Damn glad I didn't. Before coming to this forum I was of the mindset that remasters would always be an improvement. Live and learn.

St. Troy likes this.
  6. lukpac

Well, today I pulled out my girlfriend's BMG copy of this one, and it seems as if it's a direct copy of the original Japanese issue (rather than a copy of the later "Made In USA" copy or the Canadian CD, which came from an analog dub) - peak levels match, and I believe times do as well. The hiss stays up between tracks just like the Japanese CD.

MCAD-37217
    "Mfd. for BMG"
    Inner ring: "D170350 4/95 2DC8"

I'll report more one of these days when I get a chance to compare all the different versions...

St. Troy likes this.
  7. vinylrec

vinylrec Senior Member

Here's my copy....

MCAD-37217
    "Mfd. for BMG"
    It has "170350D"screened on the CD
    Made in the USA
    Inner ring: "MCAD37217 11/89 2DA3"

It clocks in at 43:23

8. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Who's Next - Do We Have A Winner?

Luke and Steve Hoffman,
    I have the same Who's Next cd that you talked about in this post. It has all the features that you posted except in the inner ring it has "S 4 E 2 3"? I bought this disc in 1984 and it came in long box. Is this Steve's mastering and a 2nd printing? Which do like the us 1984 or the Canadian master?

9. lukpac

Re: Who's Next - Do We Have A Winner?

Don't know if Steve's came out in 1984 or 1985, but nevertheless...

...I'll give the slight edge to the Japanese CD, as it 1) is recorded at the maximum possible level, 2) isn't "blacked" between tracks, and 3) doesn't have the glitch in WGFA.

Other than that, the Canadian CD is fine.

10. Goldilizer

Goldilizer Banned

I think he did , why dont we ask him?

11. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

OK, I'll ask: Steve, after reading this thread, I just happened to come across your version at a used record store(six bucks!). I played it, and lo and behold, despite the(IMO)massive tape hiss, it is the best version I have heard!(smokes the remaster, the bonus tracks there dont work either). So, my question is this: WHY is there tape hiss BETWEEN the songs? This is the only commercially released disc I have ever heard this on. Did you just transfer an LP master straight to CD? The sound quality, again, is outstanding, but I am curious as to the why the is continual hiss. You did a wonderful job, and I am amazed that a 1984 CD can still outperform a 1990's remastering(OK, it's Astley-that explains it). Please give us an answer, buddy!

St. Troy likes this.
  12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

There is hiss because the songs are just spliced together, butted up against each other without leader tape in the middle, like old RCA's & Capitol's...

St. Troy likes this.
  13. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Wow, quick answer...thanks!

14. lukpac

Hmm...either you are WAY too sensitive to tape hiss, or you don't have Steve's version. The amount of tape hiss on Steve's CD is pretty low, actually.

I hope you don't plan on listening to anything engineered by Tom Dowd!

St. Troy and John Bliss like this.
  15. Steve Hoffman

16. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Well, actually....probably the former, but I'm going to put on "Idlewid South", just to be on the safe side......Seriously, the numbers match(MCAD-37217, DIDX-152, c 1971, 1984). Does Steve's version say "Mastered by Steve Hoffman" on it? Mine doesn't. How does one tell? Hissssingly yours, MM

17. lukpac

First of all, where was it made, the US or Japan?

At some point MCA changed their master (most likely after production moved to the US) to an inferior one. This one has more hiss and a slightly narrower sound stage. It's not bad, but it's not as good as Steve's disc, either.

The thing is, there are probably at least 3 different masterings with the information you give above. So that in and of itself is not a way to determine a "good" version from a "bad" version...

It's all quite complicated...:)

18. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Oh, shoot...I didn't know that. Thanks, but how does one tell? I have a very good stereo system, but the sound scape doesn't sound "narrow" to me. Should I just go ahead and order the Canadian one to be sure? That does have Steve's mix, right? As far as the hiss, no, it's not that bad, but I guess I am not used to it.

19. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Oh, and it's a US disc.....

20. lukpac

It's hard to tell the difference soundstage wise unless you compare the two side by side...

Yeah, the Canadian one is the easiest one to find today. See the earlier posts in this thread for info on *trying* to spot an original pressing...

21. JJ3810

JJ3810 Senior Member

Originally posted by MatrixMan
    Oh, shoot...I didn't know that. Thanks, but how does one tell? I have a very good stereo system, but the sound scape doesn't sound "narrow" to me. Should I just go ahead and order the Canadian one to be sure? That does have Steve's mix, right? As far as the hiss, no, it's not that bad, but I guess I am not used to it.

Check the total disc time. I have several (7 or 8) copies of this disc and I'm pretty certain that Steve's version runs close to 43:26 and the later (inferior) version runs about 43:14. If in doubt, grab the Canadian.

22. lukpac

Perhaps. Let's see:

Canadian - 43:26:20
    Japanese - 43:25:65
    BMG - 43:26:13

Note that despite the similar times on the Canadian and BMG issues, they do *not* come from the same master.

Unfortunately, I don't have my US made copy handy to check it out...

Also, note that some CD players display the times slightly differently. My Sony player, for instance, noted they were all about 2 seconds shorter than the actual times.

23. Steve Hoffman

Newcomers please note, when Luke talks about "Japanese", he means CD's manufactured and sold by US MCA Records in the 1980's. Before there were domestic pressing plants, MCA had there stuff manufactured in Japan.

To recap, he DOESN'T mean Japanese import CD's.

St. Troy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.