Who's Not Able To Afford $100 Plus Boxsets?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerryb, Sep 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

(Inside joke)

Whatsa matta widthh chuu girl?

That was a great thread....I miss you it.:D

2. hello people

hello people Forum Resident

Two dozen??

Hey big spender...that's 24 wholes!

reb likes this.
  3. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

Can't afford them. And too many great albums still available for $1-5, to worry about what I might be missing.

I don't know what to say about those who are pining away for things they can't afford. I know I've downloaded some things and invariably end up saying, "Boy, I'm glad I did not buy that!" But I'm getting to be such a grumpy old man, if I was a multimillionaire, I don't think I would buy most of these issues, on principle -- poor value. (For example, I love XTC, but I don't want all the extra non-album demos, etc. The really good stuff was mostly released first time around, and it is easy to be content. Even the Beatles Anthology sets are sort of interesting one or two times through, but to my mind are 90+% non-essential.) I think if I was that rich, I certainly would buy a stupendous playback system, and the best masterings of the best albums (Kind of Blue, Who's Next, Led Zep II, Year of the Cat) whatever the cost, but I wouldn't waste much time listening to demos and b-sides etc etc. Plus, I think I'd have more fun giving my money away to the truly needy than I would possessing a huge music room full of these limited edition expensive box sets and making U2 or whomever that much richer.

If you can't afford the new x boxset by artist y that costs $100+, try giving $20 instead to heifer.org or some similar worthy charity, and see how it makes you feel. You don't have to be rich to have the joy of giving. IDK, maybe it takes the sting out of not having the thing you wanted. YMMV. Just a suggestion.

Brother Maynard, jsayers and Jerryb like this.
  4. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Probably deserted wives who are upset that their husbands purchase too many boxed sets. :D

Steel Horse, Mylene and HominyRhodes like this.
  5. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Take for instance the individual David Crosby, Stephen Stills and Graham Nash boxes....people seemed more worried about if they were going to be the exact same size and design so they would look good sitting next to each other on a shelf...people just want to "own" stuff and then move on to acquire more stuff. I would rather try to get maximum enjoyment out of what I already have.

jsayers likes this.
  6. Deryl Johnson

Deryl Johnson Well-Known Member

I buy a few, but it's a stretch due to medical bills. But, I pay them all. I consider music to be therapeutic. Some people spend money that they can't afford on drugs and alcohol. I spend money that I can barely afford on LP's, and I believe that it's money well spent. When I hear out -takes from my favorite musicians, it's an insight into times that they live through that sometimes make me laugh. Between the music that I love, and smiles that they bring, You could spend money less wisely. If You truly can't afford one once in a while, they often sell the CD or LP that covers the main theme of the box set, and often the DVD's make their way onto YouTube.
    All I can say is that things get better. If You can't afford it today, it willstill be available down the road.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  7. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

None of these box sets interest me nearly enough to buy one at the sale price and none of them really interest me all that much in the first place. I figure I'll just pick mine up cheap at your estate sales, so please take good care of them. Thanks in advance for your anticipated cooperation.

Deryl Johnson likes this.
  8. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

Hmm just reading this thread and board just confirms that collecting music and boxsets is an addiction with a lot of the folks who post here...Nothing more than just a desire to own more and more stuff that the industry conspires to throw at you...

jsayers likes this.
  9. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Depends on the box and whats inside.

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

priced too high for me, but I always find something in the collection to sell or trade to get what I just have to have...sad.

11. I think the only time I did was for Sandy Denny's demos box set. In fact, had I the chance (and I'm still bitter that I didn't) I would've shelled out $350 for that 19 disk box set. The people selling it for $2,500 etc can eat crow. I hope they have that $350.00 debt forever. Jerks.

But I can't really think of too many reasons to fork out that cash for a box set (especially with today's mastering) unless it's a career spanner with a B-side I just can't get else where (I'm looking at you Harrison Apple Years).

I would also pay handsomely to get straight analog-to-analog Beatles on vinyl too.

12. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

In most cases ...NO! I do not think there should be a box set that cost either. Often the content of which is even so poor as to be worth of that spending.
    In the vast majority of cases I have more than paid for a box is in the range of 60 to $ 70. But i try to avoid buying these unless they are very, very attractive in its content which is not the rule.

13. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I can afford them here and there but there is just so much stuff I don't need. Just give me the original album and maybe a DVD or bonus disk of the coolest stuff from the deluxe editions and I am good

bystander likes this.
  14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I think that $80 is about right for a box of really good material. The Pink Floyd boxes come to mind. Live material from the 70s, quadraphonic mixes from the 70s in high rez, rejected takes and an early mix (that sounded wonderful btw). There was just too much to love here.

Once you top $99 then it gets a bid weird unless it is the complete works of an artist, and then I might not have needed most of it anyway.

15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Give me Animals early rough mixes, live '77, and a 5.1 mix, and I might drop a C note if there is high res in there.

16. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

I always analyzed the contents of these boxes with this high prices and I really wonder how much useless material are in them. I've always viewed with suspicion these releases ... seem designed to catch buyers offering material almost always available and very little unreleased songs.

More interesting is the option to offer a cheaper edition like; for example the rarities editions series by universal as an alternative to the deluxe editions.

17. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

If there is $100 of VALUE I have no problem buying.

Problem is when there is more sizzle than steak. Or demos/vinyl/surround sound that's only available in the box.

18. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Welcome to the sickness. They should have posted warning signs when we first started collecting!:eek:

John Fell and Michael like this.
  19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, I caught it many, many years ago...today I'd be a rich man if I never sold off anything...but, I have to say it's a fun ride!
    as I get older the need grows weaker...BUT, it never really stops. I still find myself wanting MORE! Damn friggin SAD!

John Fell likes this.
  20. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Chuck Berry box? OH, I wish you didn't tell me that!

21. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

What annoys me is that in some cases you have to buy a ridiculously expensive deluxe box set to get the only vinyl pressing. Since I am not prepared to spend over £100 on any LP I passed on the Aqualung, Warrior On The Edge Of Time and Achtung Baby sets.

22. Exile On My Street

I've learned restraint. I love the Allman's and that new Fillmore East box nearly got me even though I owned at least 50% of what was on it. Whatever I didn't own was simply different live versions of the same songs I've heard live 100 times. Then I thought about getting the Bluray edition for sound quality. In the end it wasn't worth it so I held back. I find most of these sets cool to have but nothing that gets repeated listenings..ie..too much junk. I prefer the albums as originally intended and being I barely have enough time to listen to all of those, I certainly do not need a bunch of demos, alternate takes, buttons and what have you. Bottom line: If you can't afford the big sets you're not missing anything, IMO.

23. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

But I enjoy that they look nice next to each other- but guess I also enjoy whats inside the boxed

24. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Yeah- and the ultra- limited deluxe-set is a natural-size guitar-case. Seems like an item noone should be without

25. Exile On My Street

It had better come *with* Chuck Berry. ; )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.