Who's pumped for Trainspotting 2?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rhapsody In Red, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhapsody In Red

Rhapsody In Red Forum Resident Thread Starter

heh I still havent seen it. Gotta find time this weekend

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Get it on DVD, no rush.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Did the original movie make any discussion of the relationship between Begbie and Renton?

The "sequel" posits them as childhood classmates - it explains Begbie was held back, so that accounts for his age to a degree, but it still seems like a stretch since Carlyle is 10 years older than everyone else in the cast.

Anyway, just wondering if the first film ever discussed this - I don't think it did, but I can't recall!

4. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I can't believe, I still haven't seen the Original :shrug:

5. alexpop

Dated.
    But, a classic 20 years ago.

6. It didn't - they were just "mates", and that was that.

However, in the book The Blade Artist, their relationship is the same as that in T2 - but it strikes me that this might not be consistent with the other books, as I think Begbie was presented as being a few years older. Don't recall for sure, though.

7. Oatsdad

Thanks. This feels like "Star Wars" prequels style retrofitting to me - like they decided to make friendship a theme and crammed Begbie into that even if it doesn't make sense.

Aging makes it work better in "T2" than it would've in "Trainspotting", though. Back in 1996, Robert Carlyle looked way older than the other 3 leads - no chance we would've accepted him as Renton's Kindergarten classmate.

20 years later, they all look vaguely the same age, partly because Carlyle has aged well. Bremner is probably the oldest looking now!

Still makes no sense to me - as you note, the first film never gave us the impression Begbie was a lifelong chum of Renton's...

8. It does explain a bit why Renton and the rest were hanging around with Begbie in the first place, though. I figured they must've at least known each other for some time, as it seemed that their relationship existed out of inertia more than anything - like since they'd known each other for so long and still lived close by, Begbie was Renton's "mate" whether Rents liked it or not.

ConnieGuitar likes this.
  9. Oatsdad

But why did they need such a pat explanation? Did anyone complain that "Trainspotting" didn't give us full details about all the relationships?

I still think the "Renton and Begbie as K classmates" thing seems forced and doesn't work...

eddiel likes this.
  10. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I finally watched this movie this evening. Quite a disappointment. Hardly a worthy follow up. The trailer was more exciting than this movie.

I was wondering why the promo for it seemed so low and why it wasn't playing on more screens and now I know why. I don't think many distributors were interested in it.

Topping the original is almost impossible, and I wasn't expecting that, but surely they could've come up with something better than this. They shouldn't have bothered.

Re: Renton & Begbie as classmates...I agree didn't work and it felt down right stupid.

11. It didn't need it, just saying that it's not inconsistent with the first movie.

The evident age difference is a sticking point though. Does anyone remember how old Begbie was portrayed as being in the books? Like in Skagboys, where young Renton goes off to uni, IIRC the portrayal of Begbie suggests that he's a few years older.

12. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

I missed this thread, and haven't caught T2 yet, but Begbie is obviously Glasgow born & bred and Renton comes from Edinburgh so how they could be classmates at school is beyond me.

13. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

For everyone's convenience I have compiled a list of every movie sequel that doesn't suck. Feel free to copy this list to use as a reference in the future. I put a lot of thought into this list so I hope some of you find it useful.

Sternodox's List of Movie Sequels That Don't Suck:

1. The Godfather, Part II

EwaWoowa likes this.
  14. Rhapsody In Red

Rhapsody In Red Forum Resident Thread Starter

What a disappointment that sequel was. Oh well, the trailer was great.

15. Oatsdad

Oh, yes - obvious! We Americans know all the nuances of Scottish accents! ;)

16. Oatsdad

Oh, please - there are many good sequels!

17. alexpop

Shight then ?

Gavinyl likes this.
  18. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

Oh yer right ... I totally forgot about Return of the Son of Sharknado vs. The Vampire Predator's Lost Weekend XXXIV (Part 8): the Prequel's Revenge Goes on Summer Vacation With Pirates of the Titanic in 3-D.

19. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

I didn't think so. While it is not as good as the original, T2 works in its own way. It is more concerned in the relationships between the principles than the original was, so there is less action. But if you grew to care about the characters in the original, I think you'll enjoy getting to visit with them again. It's like catching up with old mates that you haven't seen in 20 years. And, perhaps unsurprisingly, their paths over the past 2 decades rang true. Nothing seemed preposterous to me at all, it felt authentic.

Much of the film lives in the past though, in the shadow of the original. There are even a number of 'Back to the Future 2'-esque sequences where the characters revisit the past, although it is via memory in this case, not literally. But I thought that was a cool touch stylistically. Overall, it's not a great movie by any means, but I'm still glad that they made it, as I enjoyed watching it, and even felt a bit emotional about it all near the end.

ConnieGuitar and alexpop like this.
  20. profholt82

Skimming through my movie collection, I think these are all pretty good sequels in relation to the originals. And surely, there are more good sequels out there.

The Bride of Frankenstein
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Dawn of the Dead & Day of the Dead
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
    Friday the 13th Part II
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
    Back to the Future Part II
    Lord of the Rings 2&3

21. Bingo Bongo

Did I hear right, that it went straight to video instead 0f the Theatres?

22. profholt82

While I don't recalling it being screened near me, it did receive a worldwide theatrical release.

"T2 was released in the United Kingdom on 27 January 2017, followed by rolling worldwide releases from 10 February 2017. The film was given a limited release in the US on 17 March 2017, followed by a wider release on 31 March 2017 in a few other major cities.[21][22] T2 also screened out of competition at the 67th Berlin International Film Festival.[23]

As of 9 April 2017, T2 Trainspotting has grossed $1.6 million in the United States and Canada, $21.1 million in the United Kingdom and $15.2 million in other territories for a worldwide gross of $37.9 million, against a production budget of $18 million.[3]"

T2 Trainspotting - Wikipedia

23. Bingo Bongo

Well that answers my question. I don't recall it being screened near me either.

24. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

Screened here in Toronto.

25. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

Screened here in lil' ol' Asheville as well...only for two weeks though.

I gave my $.02 upthread... I get the disappointment on one level but am honestly curious if the general opinion is that there should have been no attempt at a sequel? Or just thoughts it could've been done better? I personally am happy the revisit was made - yes, I did have some issues with it, but I do feel like it was a genuine reconnection on many levels, not just with cast/crew/characters but with who I was when I first read the book/saw the film all those years ago vs where "all of us" relatively are now.

So Q is - complete waste of time/money? Or any little bit of there there for even the naysayers that justified the effort?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.