Who's running flagship AVRs? Do tell why.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ronm, Feb 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronm

ronm audiofreak Thread Starter

I'll tell you why I do.I think they have fantastic amp sections and preamps.They can play more than one set of speakers and are so versatile.My flagships are ten years old and can hardly be beat at the price point they go for.Yamaha RXV1 and soon to arrive B@K 507.

2. SirAngus

SirAngus Forum Resident

Denon AVR 5803 because I jumped into 5.1 DVD-A and SACD. If I had it to do over again, I would have invested in 2 channel audio. Although the Denon is a fine sounding receiver, with the cost of it plus center channel and surround speakers, I could probably have a better 2-channel system.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    ukrules, scobb and Strat-Mangler like this.
  3. Fullblown

Fullblown Member

I am running a Pioneer VSX-47tx and a 49tx. Classy looking tons of power and sound awesome.

4. Helom

Helom Forum member

I admit the Yamaha flagships sound pretty darn good, but I think they incorporate much of their 2 channel knowledge into the designs. The lower end Yamaha AVRs sound nothing like the Flagships.

Integra receivers on the other hand...:shake:

AmericanHIFI likes this.
  5. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Are you using these just for audio? :)

6. ronm

Yeah mostly audio.I'm still discovering what they are capable of.Video is on the horizon but just can't seem to find room for five speakers.

bluemooze likes this.
  7. ronm

I couldn't afford these new and quite frankly don't think i would have bought new.I would have went separates.But on the other hand in the used market there are quite the deals on these former flagships.

8. ronm

I have yet to hear a Pioneer flagship.
    I think the Yamahas offer the best bargain.I tried to get a RXZ9 but there was a run on them on ebay the last couple of months before I was able to try.You know what got me into these Yamahas was the RXV800. Nearer the top I was surprised on how good it sounded.

StimpyWan and c-eling like this.
  9. Fullblown

Fullblown Member

I am just 2 channel. Turntable and CD player.

ronm and bluemooze like this.
  10. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Integra Pre/Pro's however.......:righton::agree:

11. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

As far as most AVR's go these days...............it's all about the bells and whistles........not amp.......build.......or sound quality

scobb likes this.
  12. Aerobat

Aerobat Forum Resident

I'm using the preamp section of a Marantz SR-5010 and it sounds very good. They are interested in SQ, at least in the preamp. The amps not so much, it sounds thinner with the subwoofer than the Pass amp without the sub.

13. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Happy owner of a RXV2090 found at a thrift a few months ago. I was actually using it as a Pre only with a Emotiva UPA 200 amp. The 200 is now removed

StimpyWan, DrZhivago and CrazyCatz like this.
  14. ronm

So did you prefer the Yamaha amp section to the Emotiva?
    Correct me it I am wrong but I don't think that Marantz is at the top of the heap..not a flagship unit.
    Thats what I am hearing as far as the new ones go.I think the best flagships are the 2000-2008.$4500 msrp is nothing to sneeze at for a Yamaha RXZ9.

Linger63 likes this.
  15. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I have the Denon AVR-X7200WA and I'm pretty happy with it. It's worth it for the surround sound (I listen to a lot of multi-channel music) and the streaming capabilities. The stereo sound is surprisingly decent too.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  16. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I do RonM. After going back and forth for a few months it is permanently out of the system.
    The Yamaha has a 'warmer' signature which suits my tastes. :cheers:

Kristofa and CrazyCatz like this.
  17. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

After shopping around for a new avr and talking to some various sales people and in the know audiophiles I came to the conclusion that for the main brands the best bargain and quality is the Yamaha aventage line
    I was always die hard pioneer but allegedly the quality has gone down some with onkyo buying them but that's just from sales people no experience on my part

CrazyCatz likes this.
  18. ronm

Yamahas are what I prefer so I think you are both on the right track.I think I'll look at a rxv2900 and the RXZ9 before I move on or just stop.The Marantz SR9600 is another I would like but they are not too common or cheap.

19. ronm

I'm going to read up on that flagship.

wolfram likes this.
  20. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I'd love to hear or hear reports about a flagship receiver from Anthem, Rotel, or Sunfire. I definitely used to lust after them.

21. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I use an Anthem 510 upstairs, and a 710 downstairs. Downstairs is 99% 2-channel stereo, 1% multichannel gaming.

I've used separates in the past for primarily 2-channel listening. I've used McCormack, Odyssey, Aric Audio preamps (tube and SS), Odyssey, B&K, and Nuprime SS amps (never had speakers efficient enough for a tube amp), and a variety of phono preamps but those will always be necessary IMO when using a Receiver in an analog setup.

Long story short - I love, love, love the Anthem 710. Everything about it from its flexibility in setup, lack of bells and whistles I wouldn't use anyway, to its emphasis on sound quality.

I even take advantage of ARC when listening to vinyl which means I go A>D>A for analog music and notice no appreciable degradation in sound quality, nor do AAA records ever sound "digital," not when comparing the sound I have today to sonics I was getting with a pure analog, separate component front end.

With a small room, ARC helps me with phase issues and definitely helped to dial in my 2 SVS 12" subs to the point they blend, do not distract, nor do they disrupt the turntable although on that last front I did have to take my wall shelf out of the mix due to vibration getting into the shelf from the walls.

The sound is dynamic, as fast as I could hope for (PRAT?), the soundstage is wide, tall, and three dimensional when the recording is sufficient in those ares (like the 1-Step Abraxas release).

I take full advantage of bass management by crossing over my subs at my Dynaudios at 50 Hz where they blend well if I graph them in REW.

I actually have a separate Odyssey Stratos Plus amp out for service at the moment and will get to compare it to the internal amp in the Anthem hopefully soon. I've heard it in this room before but really it did not blow the Anthem out of the room.

To wrap up - my Anthem, at least, is the perfect fit for my room. If, after servicing, the Odyssey does improve upon what the Anthem can deliver, I will continue to use the Anthem in a DSP/Pre/Pro role. It's awfully nice having remote sub control since so many of my records need more or less in that area, I can switch to a game in surround sound with one button, and I have plenty of input/output options if I add hardware down the road.

Hope this helps!

22. LarryP

LarryP Soul Singing

If by flagship one means the top model within the range, my AVR seem to fit that definition. In 2010, I bought a Marantz AVR (SR7005). I use this AVR as part of a home theater as well as for 2 channel listening (pure direct, DPL II or multichannnel depending on the situation), both analog and digital. So i guess the reason why is why not? This device covers all our needs, so why not? IMHO as well. I spent a bit more at the time on an AVR in the hope that that would be all we need (power, quality, features etc)....and it has come as advertised so far!

23. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

Not exactly flagship but I got a Denon AVR 4010 used for USD 250 (it was USD 2,000 whe it came out in 2010). It was almost brand new, well taken care of and it does a lot of things especially on the audio side such as no PCM conversion for SACD and plenty of power. I have a Denon 3930 hooked up to it via Denon Link so it's all good.

Can't beat that price for a great receiver nowadays if you're not into 4k or Dolby Atmos. This Denon decodes almost any format so for the time being I'm a very happy camper :righton:.

24. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I was using the flagship Denon AVR-5800 for two-channel duty in the master bedroom, up until recently. The sounds quality and build is terrific. It had a little glitch, and I was really needing HDMI switching, so it now sits in a closet. I can't bear to sell it! I cleaned it up well and verified all functionality, with the intention of passing it along to my son in a few years.

c-eling likes this.
  25. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

StimpyWan, DrZhivago, Manimal and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.