Who's seeing the Hulk?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Matt, Jun 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt

Matt New Member Thread Starter

I'm surprised at the really positive reviews. I'm actually really tempted to see it this week.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

"Who's seeing the Hulk?"

How do I know who's seeing my ex girlfriend? I'm not a mind reader.

Carry on with thread...:)

3. RDK

RDK Active Member

Saw it a few days ago. *Much* better than the earlier trailers and TV spots indicated. I was very skeptical about this one (but don't tell my boss that!) based on my earlier involvement with it (I hated several earlier drafts of the script), but it really came together better than I ever could have expected.

The film's not perfect - i think it's a bit too long and long-winded in spots, and I think the ending is relatively weak - but though it strays from the Hulk's comic book origins it remains faithful to the spirit of the character. It's also surprisingly intelligent as Ang Lee emphasizes the psychology and a complex backstory, but it's also shockingly intense in spots. The action scenes are very good, but though bloodless are too violent for kids. The Hulk himself looks much better than he did in the (unfinished) trailer and TV spots.

I'm biased of course, but I nevertheless think most of you guys will like it.

4. RDK

RDK Active Member

Steve, maybe She-Hulk will make an appearance in the sequel! ;)

5. Matt

Yeah, I remember She-Hulk from my comic-book collecting days. John Byrne made her out to be a total babe! OWW! Easily the hottest character in the Marvel Universe. I was disappointed that plans for a She-Hulk TV Movie fell through. I wonder who'd they cast? I Lynda Carter was still young and taller, something like that would work great (probably couldn't do it since she was already Wonder Woman).

6. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

The New York Times absolutely hated it. It seems that a lot of other reviews are pretty positive. Doubt the wife will want to see it though.

7. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I have watched the trailer... not my thing! Even worse than "Matrix Reloaded"

8. Matt

I may watch it because of Ang Lee. Apparently Ang got final cut. Not only that, he even got the studio to do away with previews (he had a good argument; you show previews with a CGI-heavy film, there's going to be a lot of holes, and for a movie like this, it would hurt it quite a bit).

9. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

My 10yr old wants to see it and so do I, what the heck!

10. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

It's the pick for this Saturday. Reviews in the NYC newspapers were not kind.:(

11. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I thought Betty Ross was seeing the Hulk.

12. Matt

Didn't they kill her off in the comics? Or did she come back from the dead (like so many others have in the Marvel universe)?

13. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

not I... waiting till it's out on DVD...

14. ratskrad

ratskrad Senior Member

Took my 13yr old son to see it last night and it was fun. I tend to go into movies not expecting too much these days. I also look at them for what they are and that is a form of entertainment and an adaptation of usually some other form of media. My friend who went with us thought it was a little disjointed at times but he enjoyed it none the less. What the heck you can't always get on the screen what you get in a comic book and comic book is how the movie was presented.

15. RDK

RDK Active Member

Bill, regardless if you like it or not, do yourself a favor and at least see an action flick like this on the big screen. It'll look crappy on TV...

16. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Saw it this morning at a Matinee with my 10yr old son.

I thought the CGI wasn't the problem, it was the lumbering script. The final hour is ok but this movie doesn't pass the "Would I Own It On DVD?" test.

Some of the acting, Sam Elliot and Nick Nolte, was just bad...Connelly seemed indifferent.

The CGI of The Hulk wasn't bad actually. That was the best part of the movie.

Another Summer disappointment.

17. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I'm guessing that when they do Fantastic Four, Thing will be CGI?

18. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I saw it Fri night.

I give it a C-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.