Who's the best saxophonist you've ever heard play live?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KevinP, Jul 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Benny Carter,Stan Getz,Zoot Sims come to mind

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  2. rogertheshrubber

rogertheshrubber Senior Member

Yup - down home Memphis buddies!

3. marka

marka Forum Resident

I’ve really enjoyed seeing Wayne Shorter, Michael Brecker, Lew Tabackin, Bennie Maupin and several others listed.

But nobody has mentioned Jay Migliori yet, or Grover Washington, Jr. , both of whom have given amazing performances when I’ve seen them.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  4. PonceDeLeroy

PonceDeLeroy Forum Resident

Joe Henderson playing Jobim at New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  5. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Michael Brecker is probably my favorite saxophonist overall, and I was fortunate enough to experience his playing in person many times.

Fusionfan, Sneaky Pete and Rasputin like this.
  6. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

Haven't seen many, so the answer is Junior Walker.

mtvgeneration likes this.
  7. Probably Billy Harper - who has consistently been the most exciting player nearly every time I've heard him (mainly with The Cookers), on about 4 occasions.

And I say that having seen Joe Henderson live twice (who I own 85% of his entire catalog, sideman dates included), and Wayne Shorter twice too (I have practically all his pre-Weather Report output, and a good smattering of later stuff). And Jackie McLean, Sonny Rollins, Chris Potter, Steve Coleman, Greg Osby, Kenny Garrett, and too many more to mention.

One very honorable mention, though, is Gary Thomas on tenor -- whose playing I just adore. He came out of the M-BASE camp (with Coleman and Osby). I've had the good fortune of hearing him live ~6 times, nearly always as a sideman on someone else's gig -- and his playing blows me away every single time. Incredibly underrated player, and maybe one of the best 5 tenor players of the last 25 years.

Sneaky Pete and Dave513 like this.
  8. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

I've seen some amazing saxophonists through the years -- Sonny Fortune, Charles Gayle, Dave Liebman, Branford Marsalis, Sonny Rollins, Phil Woods, others I'm forgetting. But the one I remember being blown away by was Charles McPherson, at a little hole-in-the-wall club in Washington DC. At least within the context of straightahead jazz, his playing was just on another level from anything I'd ever heard live.

9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Kenny Garrett with Miles Davis at Vienne Jazz Festival 1991:

10. GreggF

GreggF Forum Resident

Toss up between Jimmy Halperin and Mel Collins.

11. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Surprised he hasn't been named yet, but: Lee Allen. Numerous times with the Blasters.

Runner-up: Herb Hardesty, who I saw with Fats and Dr. John.

12. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

I'm sick with envy at some of you. The best I've seen is probably Lora Logic.

13. Jlbrach

Jlbrach Forum Resident

sonny rollins,wayne shorter and joe lovano

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  14. elvotix

elvotix Forum Resident

Ornette Coleman, John Gilmore, and Marshall Allen. Saw Ornette several times. Living in Philly allowed me to see the great John Gilmore and Marshall Allen many many times with the Sun Ra Arkestra.

Dave513 likes this.
  15. Book of Saturday

Book of Saturday Forum Resident

That's my answer, as well. A couple of times with Sting, touring for Dream of the Blue Turtles and a couple of years later for Nothing Like The Sun. Got a chance to talk to him for a couple of minutes that first time. Discussed our mutual love of Wayne Shorter.

Dave513 likes this.
  16. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

Pharoah Sanders. Charles Lloyd for best overall tone. Sonny Rollins in one of his funky Afro Caribbean phases, which was not really classic JAZZ but still sounded great, it was so much FUN. I also saw John Gilmore, John Zorn, Ornette and also Caspar Brotzmann but Pharoah blew my mind. Heard many many others but those stand out...oh and lucky enough a few times to hear Bobby Keys blowing on "Brown Sugar!"

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  17. MarkAJ

MarkAJ Forum Resident

This thread reminds me that I saw Charles Lloyd back in his mid'60s Forest Flower days. He blew my mind, as we used to say, but at the time I hadn't heard enough jazz to have a context for him. I've never again seen him live. I love his recordings.

18. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

I have not heard as much jazz in person as I have on record,but have seen Cannonball Adderley & Phil Woods multiple times. One Adderley show had me just under George Duke's keyboards. A couple of Phil Woods gigs were up front and personal. One special big band rehearsal/benefit he did at Brownie's at the Delaware Water Gap. Phil came onstage wearing a sweatshirt with a red circle slashing out Kenny G's name. So there is some true quality in my limited quantity that many folks never experienced.

19. Dave513

Dave513 Forum Resident

Donny McCaslin (with his band)
    Branford Marsalis (with Sting)
    JD Allen
    Ernest Dawkins (underrated Chicago player)

20. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Sonny Rollins in the 70s:cheers:

Dave513 likes this.
  21. puelche

puelche Forum Resident

Peter Brötzmann, last year in Valparaíso. Incredible experience!

Dahabenzapple likes this.
  22. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

Wayne shorter.

23. mw1917

mw1917 Forum Resident

In no particular order: Charles Gayle, Marshall Allen, Hugh Glover, Joe McPhee, Marco Eneidi, J.D. Parran.

Dahabenzapple likes this.
  24. Miha Podlogar

Miha Podlogar Well-Known Member

Dexter Gordon !

25. lrpm

lrpm Forum Resident

Joshua Redman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.