Who's your favourite POP Diva from the 80's?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kingrommel, Jul 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingrommel

kingrommel Forum Resident Thread Starter

After seeing some interest in the 80's female singers lately on the threads, i think its time to see to see who we like the best from the 1980's

Pop Princess or Queen of Pop, Glamour kitten or just smitten - you decide!

Tokyo Ghost and Bobby Morrow like this.
  2. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

Debbie Harry. Always Debbie Harry. :)

PH416156, edvj, Tim 2 and 2 others like this.
  3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I went with ONJ, Madonna and Tina Turner.

In truth, Olivia's pop career was largely done by 1985 and there were many others on this list who were more popular in the 80s. Still. I voted for ONJ because I'm loyal and I'm not sure many others will.:)

Madonna. Surely the top female act of the 80s? Not too shabby in the 90s either!

Tina Turner because I loved her 3 80s albums. Great live act and to pull off a (lasting) comeback in her mid-40s was a feat few thought she could even attempt.

Honourable mention to Kylie. I seriously thought of including her but she didn't really get going until 1988 so it felt like cheating a bit!

4. Tony Sclafani

Tony Sclafani Forum Resident

I hate to be all nitpicky, but Mariah Carey shouldn't be on this list. She didn't release a record until May, 1990 with the single "Vision of Love." Her debut album came out the next month.

Pizza, RomanBlade, MadamAdam and 2 others like this.
  5. Bobby Morrow

I just realised that apart from Irene Cara and Debbie Harry (solo) I have at least one album by every artist on this list!

Jarleboy likes this.
  6. kingrommel

I went with Madonna, Kylie Minogue and Belinda.

As Kylies career went crashing in from day one in 1988 , i had to include her because of the amount of #1 singles in UK, Europe and of course Australia.

I wanted to include Agentha from Abba, but as she is mostly thought of as a pair with Frida, so this may muddy things a bit.

7. kingrommel

Sorry, fuzzy memory on my part :doh:

Jarleboy likes this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

I had Agnetha and Frida's two 80s solo albums too.

Jarleboy and kingrommel like this.
  9. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

I voted for Kate, although I don't really see her music as pop (or at least in the same sense as many of the others listed).

Jarleboy likes this.
  10. Bobby Morrow

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  11. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I picked Sade. Who says you can't be sophisticated and sexy at the same time?

12. Bobby Morrow

I know what you mean, but Babooshka, Sat In Your Lap and Running Up The Hill, to name but three, were fantastic pop songs, so she deserves to get on the list for those alone.

Jarleboy and Zach Johnson like this.
  13. Bobby Morrow

@Alan1074 will be as mad as f**k Miss Ross isn't on the list.:D

Jarleboy likes this.
  14. kingrommel

:D There was several artists i pondered over - some which were omitted for reasons like they were more big in the 70's and such like. Others because they lacked impact for a period of time also and also some 'rock' chicks which were a bit of pop/rock

Some which i long-listed but ommited (only for space) were:

Sheena Easton, Diana Ross :hide:, Barbra Streisand, Dionne Warrick, Joan Jett, Carol Decker :love:, Suzi Quattro..., Members of Bananarama, Abba chicks, etc

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  15. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

My gosh... Sheena Easton. I'd completely forgotten about her!

Wasn't she, like, huge for a year or something?

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  16. Bobby Morrow

Donna Summer is another!

I know what you mean, though. I've done my share of polls and 25 options just isn't enough...

DesertHermit, Jarleboy and kingrommel like this.
  17. Bobby Morrow

Her big album was 'A Private Heaven' from 1984.

Morning Train (9 To 5) was her top single.

Jarleboy and Khaki F like this.
  18. kingrommel

In the US - she was. she got a lot of bad press in the UK for turning her back on her roots and trying to be american like.

Bobby Morrow, Jarleboy and Khaki F like this.
  19. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

No Ms Ross?!!!!

Overlooking that terrible faux pas (!) this is REALLY difficult for me as I love my 80s divas and choosing only three is difficult. I do love Tina Turner, her 80s trio of albums are remarkable, so she's in, as is Madonna because, let's face it she was the template for 80s diva (although I prefer Kylie). I love Kate Bush but final place goes to Other. It has to be Sam Fox. I was a huge fan of hers in the 80s and my bedroom in 1987 was a shrine to her. She had a great run of UK hits and really deserves to be on the list. I'm currently working on new Sam Fox collection for Cherry Red.

20. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Would have liked to vote for Suzi Quatro, one of my all time favourite singers. Read her autobiography "Unzipped" and be entertained! Lovely woman.

Voted for ONJ - had no choice, really - and Kate Bush + Dusty Springfield. Would also have liked to have voted for Cyndi Lauper, Debbie Harry and Bonnie Tyler. Like them all. (Though I could do without Bonnie Tyler´s 90s glut of German hits. "Bitterblue" and the like. I don´t hate them, but she lost what made her special.)

kingrommel and Bobby Morrow like this.
  21. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

There is a lot to be said for avoiding being american like, and I am one. It's a daily struggle, let me tell ya...

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  22. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Not too difficult: Madonna, Janet and Whitney. I like a lot of the artists on the list, but they are the elite, the A list. Even if you'd asked me in the 1980s, I would have said them. I would have liked to vote for Cyndi Lauper too, but hey. And Belinda. And if it was 1989 and I was 16, I would have wanted to vote for Debbie Gibson too (umm, possibly). :o

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  23. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

No Pat Benatar either.

24. Bobby Morrow

@DesertHermit won't like that one bit.:D

DesertHermit, kingrommel and Jarleboy like this.
  25. jamiesjamies

jamiesjamies Forum Resident

I voted for Belinda Carlisle, Gloria Estefan and other... That being Basia, formerly of Matt Bianco. She is probably my favourite female singer, though it is a close call with Selena, who I think of as a 90s singer but who was releasing music since the mid 80s, and Sonia, a Stock, Aitken and Waterman singer. Totally spoiled for choice, in contrast to if you asked me to choose acts since 2000!

I could also have listed Agnetha Faltskog, Kim Wilde, Sam Fox, Madonna, Kylie and others!! The 80s truly were the greatest!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.