Who's your favourite POP Diva from the 80's?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kingrommel, Jul 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Don't even recall if it was released as a single here, but I know the song well and I think it's pretty decent. Her stuff sure was recorded lousy though, like there was a veil behind everything. Don't know if it is just here in the US as I think she recorded in the UK. I sure noticed a difference with all the ONJ albums when I bought them as imports recently. Referring to vinyl.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I have her CDs and they aren't amazing soundwise. A Japanese edition of her debut album sounds nice, though.

3. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

A great album, but I do like Agnetha's debut a lot as well. Both of them fell off the rails fast after their debuts though.

4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

In the US that one is absolutely terrible...just no fidelity at all, no treble....a shame given her voice and range. They got slightly better after that one, and by the time Strut came out they were fairly good.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Sheena wasn't too shaby either!

kingrommel and Bobby Morrow like this.
  6. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

She was good at those loud bombastic songs, going all the way back to The Way of Love on her debut. Really enjoy Turn Back Time.

7. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Time plays funny tricks.

I could have voted for 10, but went with Sade, Kate Bush and Stevie Nicks because I think time has been kinder to their music and it still stands up nicely today e.g. Albums like Promise, Hounds of Love, and Bella Donna.

Back in the day I might have gone for Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston and Tina Turner, each of whom I really like, but they've just been so overplayed during the last 30 years or so, and they just don't have the same spark any more, great though they are. I find it hard to play the likes of Control, Whitney I and II, and Private Dancer any more.

Also still like the early Madonna (first up to True Blue, Ray of Light and Confessions) and Plastic Letters/Parallel Lines by Blondie.

8. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

Yes, no love for Gloria either! And I did know they were Gloria songs but as I had absolutely no real opinion on her, I commented on Paula instead. Gloria Estefan really only had the one or two hits from the 'Cuts Both Ways' album here, I think! I remember the TV ad for the album being everywhere but I never really investigated her beyond that...always found her really boring :sigh:.

Jrr and Thom like this.
  9. DesertHermit

I always had, and still have, a soft spot for 'The Lover In Me' album from 1988 and also the 'Private Heaven' album too. Not a huge fan of her earlier stuff. She had a big hit in Australia in 1991 (I think) with 'What Comes Naturally' and I liked that single but think I only ever played the album once - it was pretty bad!

10. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Yeah, I think that describes her. But I own up to liking "Words Get In The Way" and also "Coming Out Of The Dark". I used to love "Conga" when it was a hit, but that's because I was 12 and the Latin rhythms seemed really cool. :o

DesertHermit likes this.
  11. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

I like the song "The Lover In Me". Sheena was also on Prince's 1987 hit "U Got The Look". That song (and video) had a lot of airplay in NZ then.

Jrr and Bobby Morrow like this.
  12. DesertHermit

Yes, here too. Great song! Loved the video too- one of my favourite tracks from 'Sign Of The Times'. My favourite track from TLIM was always '101'. I still listen to that LP pretty regularly actually.

Jrr, Bobby Morrow and Thom like this.
  13. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

About Sheena Easton, she had a great run, in the early '80s and then again in some of the later part of the decade. I've got a copy of that 1985 flop she made with Nile Rodgers, now that was a big failure...

Jrr, Bobby Morrow and DesertHermit like this.
  14. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Olivia, Kylie and Belinda

kingrommel likes this.
  15. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

Two things on Gloria, because the subject's come up. Not very taken with most of what she's done, but I have to tell ya, I think the Shep Pettibone Remix of Bad Boy has got to be one of my favorite singles of all time. Insanely good.

Alan1074 likes this.
  16. edvj

edvj Forum Resident

Debbie Harry
    Dodo Gad from Dodo & The Dodos

17. MadamAdam

MadamAdam Forum Resident

I think it's a shame Marilyn isn't doing better.

18. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

I dont like much of Aggie's 80s stuff. Nor did I like Shine by Frida... for much the same reason... they sound like 80s albums. The awful gated reverb trashcan drums, stitled and stiff synthi-pop stuff, electric guitars full of chorus and other horrible effects... I dont like that sound. Somethings Going On had a bit of that, but it wasnt too bad.. it sounded a lot more natural than anything Aggie did.

Jrr likes this.
  19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Interesting thoughts. I actually thought Frida's album, producd by Phil Collins with his strong gated drum sound, sounded far more 80's and Agnetha's sounded more like an ABBA album. If memory serves hers was also recorded at the same studio as well. Talking just about their debut albums. I really don't play Frida's anymore, but sometimes I spin Agnetha's. I love Michael Chapman, her producer, as well so maybe that is why I prefer her album. I wish Agnetha would write an album. Among her best songs are the ones she wrote, imo.

20. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I just don't get the love for Kate Bush. Because so many people around here like her work, I bought a used vinyl copy of her hits album. Clearly I need to give it more tries....I just didn't care for it. Will try again. Maybe someone can explain the love for her...kinda like Dylan. So loved and for some reason I just can't get into him.

21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, I thought her stuff was great, and well produced. I got back into her recently. I bought all her vinyl, inc Miami Sound Machine. All was good to my ears except her later stuff, which is kind of typical. They almost always run out of ideas after a few albums.

kingrommel likes this.
  22. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Went with ONJ.

Great decade for female artists.

Jrr and kingrommel like this.
  23. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

You know, now that you mention it she was the rare artist who got better over time imo. Those are great songs...much better than her early titles imo.

24. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

I'm aware you're joking but I'd like to say that Marilyn was a GREAT and very underrated artist. All five of his singles were such high quality and his only album, Despite Straight Lines, is a bona fide 80s Classic. It absolutely blows every Culture Club album out of the water.

25. kingrommel

kingrommel Forum Resident Thread Starter

Erm.. Are we talking about Marylin - A.K.A.- Peter Robinson?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.