Whose ego is bigger? Axl Rose or Ryan Adams

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by quentincollins, Dec 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quentincollins

quentincollins Forum Word Nerd Thread Starter

Reading the thread about how Ryan Adams lost it onstage recently, I recalled how Axl would often make an ass out of himself on stage, too.

In that case, whose ego do YOU think is bigger, and why?

2. quentincollins

quentincollins Forum Word Nerd Thread Starter

For the record, I vote Axl. He hasn't put out any new, original material since 1991 with the Use Your Illusion albums and still seems to think he's on top and whatnot (or at least that's how he comes off as I see it), whereas Adams, though I haven't heard much of his music and thus can't judge anything on quality, is at least still releasing albums on a regular basis.

3. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Suddenly, I feel old (or young). Who is Ryan Adams?

4. How about a couple additional choices:

*Its a tie

*Who gives a ****!

I think they would be great candidates for the next celebrity death match. Having said that, I really like GNR, and having just been exposed to Ryan Adams (RnR), I have to wonder what all the fuss is about. 100% totally derivative. If I want to listen to U2, I will cue up some U2.

BGL

5. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

Javier, don't. I don't know who he is either, and I like to believe I'm still young (24).

One thing I know, he's NOT the guy who sang Summer Of '69.

6. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

:laugh:

7. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Strange. I really hate U2, so you'd think I would hear what you are hearing....but from what I have heard from the Rock and Roll disc....I like it. Maybe I need to hear more?

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I don't think he sounds anything like U2.

As far as egos go, I think RA is just a case of too much, too fast. The guy's obviously a proficient songwriter, and has got a taste for melodies/hits, give him a break. We act like we've ever needed to go on stage and perform night after night to a crowd. Or gone from a nobody to a somebody in no time flat.

Now Axl Rose, that's a whole 'nother story...

9. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

maybe the better poll would be, who has the biggest ego:

Ryan Adams
    Axl Rose
    Bono

it's hard to argue that Ryan isn't a jerk, but in his defense, his habits of releasing albums every year, mimicking every band he's ever loved (Dylan, U2, Cure, Smiths, Replacements ... to name a few) and being a complete ***hole onstage suggest that he's about as insecure as they come. I don't know if that's an extension of ego, but it makes for some decent music.

10. levi

and btw, Quentin, Marshall Crenshaw's first album is one of the coolest things this side of Buddy Holly. nice avatar :cheers:

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Man, I hope this is a joke. To put someone who seems to be as genuinely nice and caring as Bono in with those two divas is absurd. I think anyone whose name comes up in serious consideration for a frigging Nobel prize deserves an exemption from being compared to Axl!

And Axl's EASILY my pick. I get the feeling Ryan play-acts at being a moody rock star, whereas Axl really IS one. Once Adams single-handedly crushes his own attempts at a comeback with prima donna behavior, then we'll talk...

12. levi

it's no joke. I like U2 quite a bit (Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby could make my Top 10 or 20 almost any week) but Bono's "earnestness" is too much to bear.

Dylan's name comes up quite often for a friggin Nobel also. god help us if Bono wins it before he does.

13. As for my comment about Ryan Adams sounding like U2, like me clarify that.

My only extended exposure is RnR, so I am in no way an authority on the man or his music.

But, on RnR, there are at least 2 or 3 cuts (don't have the disc handy at the moment) that are clearly repackaged U2. Trust me, you will hear what I mean.

And most of the rest of the tracks are rips of various other artists.

I guess I have reached an age (43) where I find it much harder to tolerate bands that bring nothing new to the table, but just re-record what has come before for a younger audience that has not heard or has no desire to hear the original.

However, I am perfectly OK with covers. In fact, to get back closer to the topic at hand, I really like the GnR Spaghetti Incident disc. If you want to do a homage to bands that influenced you, go ahead, record some covers.

A few of the newer bands I have bought lately are The Donnas, Jett, and Ryan. To these ears, there is absolutely NOTHING new on any of those three discs. Sure they are an OK listen, but they might as well all be well polished garage bands playing covers at a high school dance, circa 1976.

Rant now concluded.....

BGL

14. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Shoot...I would have called it a two-way tie between Sting and Bono. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Don't get me wrong--I liked Sting years ago, and Bono (esp. Joshua Tree)...but lately they just seem to be above themselves, and the rest of us mere mortals. I don't even know what a Ryan Adams is, and Axl Rose is irrelevant other than being fodder for a VH1 series. ;)

Ozzy said it best:

http://www.thewebshite.co.uk/ozzy.htm

:D

15. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

Axel needs a hudge ego to compensate for his tiny career.

16. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Here here!:thumbsup:

And I also agree with Levi about Adams. He seems full of insecurities and doesn't seem he can handle the stress and worship. In that essay he wrote for the premier edition of "Tracks" he talks about his stick stomach and insane nerves before a show. Conflicted. Still though, he's an ass. A fairly talented one however.

Dan C

17. levi

I hear ya, BG. So Alive definitely sounds like October-era U2 -- from vocal to guitar to rhythm section. I'd recommend some of his other stuff -- Heartbreaker, Whiskeytown's Pneumonia -- to offer a little more originality.

I haven't heard the Donnas. I like the Jett album. to me, it's just great to hear someone who sounds carried away and envigorated by the music, no matter how derivative it might be.

I'm 45, fwiw. having teenagers tends to keep things fresh. I can send ya one if you'd like. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.