Why all the hate for the Monkees' Justus?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Folknik, Jun 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Here it is:

Mike's thoughts on The Monkees and his career in 1978 »

2. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

Folknik likes this.
  3. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident Thread Starter

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  4. Dexter

Dexter Forum Resident

This is one album or theirs that I haven't gotten yet. Now I'm anxious to pick it up.

Grand_Ennui and Folknik like this.
  5. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

I'm going to guess it was because it sucked.

starduster likes this.
  6. Folknik

I could be wrong but this seems to imply that you haven't heard it. Give it a listen before you form an opinion. You definitely may or may not like it.

Grand_Ennui and MarkTheShark like this.
  7. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

You could be wrong and you are. Huge fan here.

Folknik likes this.
  8. peteham

peteham Senior Member

This thread had me go back to Justus and listen to it on headphones. Just a great listen.

9. Folknik

Cool! (Huge fan of Justus or just of the Monkees?)

10. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I'm a long time fan who bought Justus when it was released. I thought it was terrible then and I think it is terrible now. I certainly respect the fact that there are many (or at least some) people on this forum who disagree with me.

Folknik likes this.
  11. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

And I for one am glad "Justus" was recorded... Wish it had done better chart-wise/sales-wise, but neither one of those detracts from my enjoyment of the album...

12. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

He's saying he's a huge fan of the Monkees in general, but thinks Justus sucks.

starduster likes this.
  13. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

The Monkees.

Folknik likes this.
  14. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

Re-listened again. And while I'll never love it as a whole - poor execution of the "Circle Sky" remake, "Unlucky Stars" a good hook for a song if tepid, "Admiral Mike" nuff said, "It's My Life" see "Unlucky Stars" - I'm glad they attempted it. Worth it to hear Peter playing bass and Nez playing lead. His leads on "Never Enough," "Oh What A Night," "You & I," "Dying Of A Broken Heart," and "It's Not Too Late" are very tastefully done.

Totally think the fortunes of this album - at least to the fanbase - would be day-and-night different if you took off "Admiral Mike" and added one or two Nez songs with a hint of country.

Oh well - they tried.

agundy, Hep Alien and Folknik like this.
  15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Best quote from that article is from the interviewer:

"I honestly regard the Monkees' on-stage performance of 'Circle sky' in the Head film as the greatest live performance ever made by any rock band at any time. You can feel the intensity by the way Micky attacks his drums and by the way you and Pete build on each other's licks; you with the bar chords on lead and Pete with his characteristic sliding bass riffs."

Kind of reminds me of some of the comments in the Monkees threads around here...only on steroids...

Hep Alien, MarkTheShark and Folknik like this.
  16. Folknik

Peter's dissonant jazzy piano licks near the end of "I Believe You" are subtle and a little bit creepy, but very effective.

Hep Alien, applejam101 and 905 like this.
  17. 905

905 Senior Member

What strikes me about Justus is that you clearly hear Monkees putting their soul into it, like Michael Jackson and Bad, while Good Times is simply a good album and Pool It is a good EPs worth of tunes.

empirelvr, Hep Alien and cwitt1980 like this.
  18. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

I love Justus. I like the harmonies in Circle Sky, makes for a fuller sound. It's my preferred version. Remember, Davy and Micky are only average song writers, but what they contributed to the album sound great. I don't think there is a dud on the album. And for the record, I love "I believe you". I mean Tork sings "escape velocity " What's not to love?

Off subject, I have only started listening to Changes and Pool It, and I quite enjoy them.

Hep Alien and Grand_Ennui like this.
  19. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident

Bought it back in the day - just thought it was so so. I listened to it last night, felt about the same. I also did not like the sound of the CD and still much prefer the original Circle Sky, especially the live version.

20. MarkTheShark

The interviewer does come off "over the top." I haven't re-read the whole thing, but didn't he insist HEAD was better than "Magical Mystery Tour?"

21. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

Well...HEAD *is* better than "Magical Mystery Tour." To be brutally honest just about anything is better than "MMT."

And I say that as a Beatles fanatic as well as a past member in a Beatles' tribute band.

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. Beatlesque Pop

Beatlesque Pop Forum Resident

This album was the opportunity for the Monkees to did what they did years later with Good Times. I think if back then they had relesead an album full of power pop gems like Good Times they would have revitalized their career and would have been releasing more albums and doing more tours the four of them.

It is a pity that instead they decided to record another Headquarters which had no magic whatsoever. Perhaps Chip Douglas could have injected more stamina to the songs they recorded for Justus.

23. readr

readr Forum Resident

Yeah, not really even a contest. HEAD is a highly regarded art movie. Not a masterpiece by any measure, but a cool, innovative, late 60's film.
    My two cents on Justus, as a Monkees audio fan, is you can extract enough good tracks to make a pretty good 5 or 6 track highlight reel. Some of the tracks fall flat, but there's also some good moments. My highlight comp would include:
    Circle Sky
    You And I
    Oh, What A Night
    Regional Girl
    It's Not Too Late

Hep Alien and Grand_Ennui like this.
  24. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

The songs just aren't there, though '70's leftover "You and I" is rather nice, and for an act known for humor and fun, there's a mood of joylessness throughout. It's like catching up with the wacky class clown from high school 30 years later and all he does is talk about his divorce and prostate.

I do give high marks to the playing, particularly Tork and Dolenz.

Hep Alien and MagneticNorthpaw like this.
  25. MarkTheShark

I'm not sure about 1996. 1986, yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.