Why are 70's movies soooo depressing?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ricebear, May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricebear

ricebear Forum Resident Thread Starter

:confused:

I don't get it. I love the 70's as an idea, I mean I was a kid during it and pretty sheltered...It seems to me the 70's were fun. The music certainly was a lot of fun, with Disco and Osmonds, etc. etc. I understand that the 70's were hard on families- the economy was bad (like now!). On TV, there was the whole "gritty realism"- everything seemed drab and dirty on sitcoms even (the difference between "Good Times" and "The Cosby Show"....but...Why are 70's movies in particular always SO DEPRESSING?!? I was watching that movie "Aloha Bobby And Rose", and those scenes of L.A. in late '73 are AWESOME! But the movie itself is sad...I couldn't even get through it. Movies that were big, crowd pleasers were depressing. "Saturday Night Fever". Looks like fun, disco, party! from the clips they showed on TV of the dancing, but the movie itself is SOOO awful and depressing and the characters are horrible people. "Looking For Mr. Goodbar", good gravy!! I know every decade has dark and light movies, but the 70's (except for maybe "Star Wars") movies all seem so "gritty" and depressing. Even the Disney films were not all colorful and fun. The cartoons- "Watership Down"- :shake:

Is it just me? Were the 70's really that dark?? Weren't there light entertainment flicks back then????

Annette

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Sure, there was plenty of light entertainment, but the decade lent itself toward grittier films. The US dealt with Vietnam and Watergate and oil shortages and recessions and all sorts of crap - these influenced the national mood and made filmmakers "go dark".

Also, toward the end of the 60s, independent filmmakers started to push the envelope more than they'd been able to do so under the studio system, so a broader range of voices got heard, and a lot of them wanted to take advantage of new freedoms...

3. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I totally agree with 70s films being very depressing. Kramer Vs Kramer, Taxi Driver, French Connection, Dog Day Afternoon, and many others were very dark and depressing. Films were portrayed as gritty and realistic. A lot of it had to do with the New Hollywood directors like Friedkin, Scorsese, and Lumet releasing a bulk of quality critic favorite films. It wasn't until 1977 and the release of Star Wars when the Hollywood Blockbuster came to form. By 1984, the majority of films were all blockbusters and more or less family friendly.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

speaking music and movies...I loved the early 70's before disco! it even influenced the dress code! :laugh: later in life I learned to enjoy it as well...life goes on...it's not the era it's the person living in the era...:)

5. Jayski

Jayski Forum Resident

I enjoy many of the movies from the 70's. Godfather, Jaws, Animal House, Deer Hunter, Dirty Harry are all great flicks. I don't find these to be depressing at all.

Sure there are some, Kramer vs Kramer, Norma Rae, Midnight Express (that was great movie!) that were depressing but there are depressing movies in every decade.

And what other decade had Rocky Horror Picture Show!

6. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Add Rocky and any Mel Brooks film to the "not depressing" list.

Plenty of fun to be found in '70s flicks.

7. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

First one that came to mind was Carnal Knowledge.

8. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

One of my all-time favorites

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

was SOOoooo Funny......but in the end

VERY DEPRESSING !!! :cry:

9. Michael

I love the 70's American International Pictures movies! I wish they would turn up on DVD as the many Crown International movies from the 70's turned up on BCI/Brentwood followed by Mill Creek.

10. Michael

yes, but a classic! fabulous!

11. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

Harold and Maude is good film!
    smokey & the bandit !
    Bananas (very depressing film!)
    the jerk
    American Graffiti
    monty python's Life Of Brian( realism killed this film for me)

12. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I bet you have some vintage bell bottoms:shh:m still.

13. Michael

wish I did! I'd sell them!:thumbsdn:

14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

No wonder I like 70s films.

15. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

Err.. I loves me some Star Wars but I think Jaws really set that bar.

16. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Depressing or thought provoking? In comparison to the films of this century where CGI is a requirement and plot and character development is gratuitous.

17. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Yeah, there are many, many '70s films that aren't depressing, dark, etc. Sleeper? High Anxiety? The Jerk? TONS of great, warm, funny, light movies from that decade.

Matt

18. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

Many of the AIP films found their way to DVD via the MGM "Midnite Movies" line of single and double features, and can be had for chump change now. Additional titles are now being released through the studio's manufacture-on-demand service.

Fun stuff!

19. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I don't find 70s movies any more depressing than any other decade. But then I don't consider "Saturday Night Fever" depressing. :confused:

Maybe try to find "The Kentucky Fried Movie" or "The Groove Tube" as an antidote?

20. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

A few 70's films that aren't depressing:

What's Up, Doc?
    Up In Smoke
    Animal House
    Meatballs

21. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Two words: Easy Rider.

22. Oatsdad

Not sure if you're citing "Easy Rider" as an influence on the darker films of the 70s or as a light film of the 70s.

Assume it's the former - amused if it's the latter! :D

23. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Seriously. I find a lot of the formulaic mainstream Hollywood blockbusters today to be depressing, whereas a lot of the more naturalistic, character driven movies of the 70's hold up well.

24. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

Couldn't be the latter, since it came out in '69.

25. Oatsdad

Yup - which is part of the reason it'd be amusing if that's what Robin meant! :D

I'm 99.99% sure Robin meant that "Easy Rider" was the film that broke open the styles that became big in the 70s - I just thought it was funny that his post could be viewed either way and I wanted to crack wise about it! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.