Why are people COMPLAINING about the new U2 album!?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bcaulf, Sep 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I'm not following you. Nothing is revealed in that article, it's just saying the album is bland and boring and blah blah and apparently they've been phoning it in since Pop. Just another reviewer trying to grasp for a unique angle in describing How Terribly Bad this album is.

2. serge

serge Forum Resident

ok i just want to throw it out there that U2 arouses a lot of hatred.....there's just something about them.. not saying they deserve it....

but...taking that into account I don't think they were the best choice for Apple to implement this strategy/music delivery.. how about picking a band or artist who is generally well liked?

U2 has a lot of fans but they are very polarizing...

btw I was listening to Cash's "one" version in the car today...exemplary.... with cash singing though it seems so much more christian to me..which is fine..

3. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

Yes, i was refering to a prior independent news article which was deleted:
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/u2-quash-iphone6-rumours-30561793.html

Sorry my bad, too many news, the independent newspaper denied the Internet rumours only, then those news were deleted by them but that was all.
    http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/03/u2-iphone-6-launch-rumors/

BTW guys any of you give a penny about a certain Paul Brady?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  4. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

5. K. Jones

K. Jones Forum Resident

6. Smiths22

7. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I know he's been bashing U2 for doing the same thing he did.

8. Smiths22

kk yes same here, i though he might have been more important than Sharon. I don't know him either.

9. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Irish folk singer who was big in the '70s, I think.

Smiths22 likes this.
  10. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

This has been a teaching moment. We'll have to wait and see what Apple and other cloud service providers learn from it. Given the benefit of hindsight, I would hope that Apple would have done things differently.

11. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Don't let em' win. Every time I play the record I find more to like and now I'm celebrating this album in that I know it will make my life better. Just played through it again after about 2 days and I'm starting to believe it's my favorite album this year and there has been some great music given to us this year. I wish I could somehow tell those guys that they did something very worthwhile and that people complaining about it are missing out. I hope I can see them this time round just to celebrate the album with them.

12. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

In other words... "Don't let the bastards grind you down"? :)

13. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

No! I'm just against free music.

14. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Sharon Osbourne shouldn't throw stones. I wouldn't take anything she says seriously, after all, she allowed the exploitation of her teenage children and her overly medicated husband, by MTV.

Tuco and Moshe like this.
  15. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

I think it is hilarious as I scroll through instagram and check out the #u2 hashtag and see responses from people about privacy being invaded because Apple put an album in their playlist. The hypocrisy of it all his just funny. You complain about your privacy yet you use instagram and photograph every aspect of your life, what you're wearing, what you're eating, where you live, what you're doing. Documenting it all on your apple device.

In all honesty what Apple did with the release of the U2 album has to be one big social experiment.

Phil147, Tuco, Oliver and 5 others like this.
  16. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I can't imagine U2 didn't know that a backlash like this was going to happen. Nonetheless at some point last Thursday it was reported that 26 U2 albums hit the top iTunes 200 albums and currently 8 as I type this... U2 is obviously doing something right.

Moshe likes this.
  17. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

I think of this as an incredible social expirement.

Moshe likes this.
  18. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

This from the woman who had other musicians re-record the drum and bass parts to Blizzard Of Ozz and Diary of a Madman, I think so she wouldn't have to pay the original musicians further royalties. She ain't no prize herself. (Word to the wise, avoid the '02 reissues.)

Stuart S likes this.
  19. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

http://www.abendblatt.de/vermischte...nemeyer-kritisiert-U2-Das-ist-respektlos.html

One of Germany's leading artists Herbert Grönemeyer has also publically critisized U2 for giving away an album for free as "disrespectful".
    Quote: "Ich kenne Bono ziemlich gut. Aber ich muss sagen, als ich das gehört habe, war ich geschockt", sagte er am Donnerstag auf dem Reeperbahnfestival. "So eine Aktion von einer so großen Band, die alle Millionäre sind, ist respektlos gegenüber den hart arbeitenden Kollegen." Dies gelte gerade in heutigen Zeiten, in denen es darum gehe, der Musik wieder einen Wert zu geben.
    Translation: "I know Bono quite well. But I have to say I was shocked when I heard about that. A campaign like that from such a huge band, whose members are all millionairs, is disrespectful towards hard working fellows". Especially in times like these, where it's about making music valuable again.

20. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Without a doubt this has been the strangest, most bruising week I've ever experienced in my 33 years of being a U2 fan.

Tuco and dkmonroe like this.
  21. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

I would bet on it - Apple obviously mishandled this, but I'm sure they won't make this mistake again. They'll probably make other mistakes that outrage those prone to being outraged, but that's unavoidable.

22. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

http://www.salon.com/2014/09/18/how_u2_became_the_most_hated_band_in_america_partner/

Here's a piece from Salon about the U2 backlash. I don't agree with everything here, but I think it gets at the nub of the issue: U2 still very much wants to be the "biggest band in the world" but such grandiose aspirations seem pretty old fashioned in today's increasingly fragmented music marketplace. By trying to please everybody, they come across seeming uncool and maybe a little desperate at this point. These days, a lot of young music fans want to at least feel like they're doing their own unique thing. For an aging rock band to forcibly disperse their music to all iTunes users whether they want it or not (as opposed to a "opt in" offer) smacks a bit of hubris.

I'm not trying to jump on the "hater" bandwagon here--I would call myself a moderate U2 fan, though I've generally lost interest in their more recent work--but while the outrage has certainly been overheated, it does seem like this has become a bit of a PR fiasco. It's gotten them attention but probably not the kind they were looking for (and I imagine this is the point where someone will remind me of the uptick in sales on U2's back catalog, so maybe it all evens out). All of the hubbub surrounding this giveaway appears to have drowned out the music itself to some extent.

23. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Which is unfortunate. The irony is that by giving the album away for free to 500 million people, they've somehow guaranteed that it won't get the attention it deserves.

24. Maybe some people will complain about ANYTHING. Has to do with too much time on their hands, or like my dog and can't keep their noses out of other people's business

25. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Sure, but when U2 pushes their business into everyone's faces, people are going to have a reaction, maybe positive, maybe not.

Stuart S and Smiths22 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.