Why are so many record stores still closing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by radickeyfan, Jul 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

In smaller cities and towns, the locally-owned record store is vanishing. If your only choice is F.Y.E., then you pay double the price (for new records) that Amazon retails for. And those mall record stores aren't local anyway. Typically, the staff is clueless about records, and when I've inquired about the lack of certain artists, they shrug and exclaim "If you want something, you can order it through us". Like a shady, overpriced back-alley deal gone bad, at double the cost of an online purchase.
    I guess that highlights the importance of getting to places where groovy record stores exist.

2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

$$$ out the door >> $$$ in the door, the formula is really simple.

Malina and GodShifter like this.
  3. Rudi

Rudi Forum Resident

I think the crux of the problem is these stores sell a physical product, and the public has spoken loudly that they are not interested in physical product anymore. That leaves a small niche of physical media die-hards and collectors to sell to. Not enough customers to keep the doors open, especially in the face of online competition and rising rents. Be happy your local record store made it this long! Most closed many years ago.

Scott6 and Purple like this.
  4. The Entertainer

The Entertainer Forum Resident

I think it honestly depends on the store, we have a record store here that's great and gets a lot of things the other stores don't and keeps them at reasonable prices. It's by far the busiest of the independent record stores in the area. The others seem like goodwill with inflated prices.

D.H., melstapler and lightbulb like this.
  5. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

Especially since Amazon is now offering same day delivery.

6. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Gramps Tom, Malina and Mark E. Moon like this.
  7. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

I don't find this to be the case at all. I'm 46 and although I still buy CDs for the car, in my home I listen to music exclusively through streaming FLAC files. A good friend of mine has a daughter who is 19 and her and all her friends are into vintage stereo equipment and vinyl. :shrug:

8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I have Amazon. I don't need a local music store anymore.

9. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

Prior posts offer some reasons for closing, but keep in mind the work needed to stay open and hopefully thrive. My local store seems to do great business selling mostly used vinyl and vintage audio gear (my perception as a frequent customer and talking with the owner). There is limited new vinyl and no new CD's for sale. There's a good selection of desirable used CD's priced to sell. The phone rings often with inquires and there's always people bringing in crates of used lp's and CD's. I often hear the owner saying "I'm going to pass" as he's very picky on what he buys and sells. A lot of times people just leave the stuff they couldn't trade and it's left by the front door as freebies (I just got two live McCartney DVD's and an early Thriller CD in very good shape for free, not sure why they weren't put out for sale).

The owner seeks out vinyl collections from all over the world and sometimes sends his son out of state to check them out. I see lots of boxes of used record shipments waiting to be put out and have the urge to break out my pocket knife to get first dibs. He also sells a little on Ebay, but prefers to offer everything in the store. Not exactly sure where I'm going here, but this business model does well. Obviously overhead expenses play a big part & location can be huge (traffic of customers buying and trading in).

I'll also add that used vinyl for sale is always at least VG+ and prices are reasonable. For example, I've bought excellent condition Zeppelin albums for $10 each. Local competitors have them for around $25 waiting for the "right customer" (plus they have several in excess stock they don't put out until the ones in the bins sell). LONG LIVE RECORD STORES!

Tree of Life, Mr. Explorer and ramdom like this.
  10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

It's a bit of a Catch-22. I can go on Amazon or elsewhere, and I have the exact LP I'm looking for delivered to me with <30 seconds of effort, without leaving my couch. But when I go into the store (rare), I'm more likely to pick up/try something new, that I wouldn't have been exposed to if I'm just browsing a thousand titles online.

I'm just sad my local Half Price Books marks up very common, average used LPs to $9.99-$14.99. These same LPs were $3.99 just a few years ago. I guess people are buying them at these prices? Surely they're not paying more to acquire them.

BEAThoven likes this.
  11. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I thought LP's were being snatched up by millennials and hipsters. As per this forum anyway.

12. lightbulb, melstapler and segue like this.
  13. Marshman96

Marshman96 Forum Resident

what store in PA want to make sure I don't waste time if its one I go to.

14. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

Gotta ask, being a reasonably local and in Austin whenever I can - which store has bought a new place? Waterloo is the big / obvious (and increasingly expensive) one but I would love an expanded End of an Ear!

15. Potential Energy

Potential Energy Forum Resident

Haven't been but want to go some day. Place was opened by a longtime underground DJ that is very connected to record fiends of all kinds. I'm sure industry friends are sending him people looking to sell collections. I believe he opened another store in Kansas City as well, they are also on Discogs.

16. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Ol' Bob just can't quit the game.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  17. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I'm not sure how to quantify so many, but yes you do hear about stores closing.

I think most of the reasons have already been stated.

Ultimately, regardless of any revival at play, record stores face the same issues that a lot of B&M stores do: high rents, competition online and from other stores.

When you hear that record stores in Manhattan, and other cities, are closing it shouldn't really be that much of a surprise because a lot of business are closing in those areas and being replaced with ones that can afford the high running costs of those locations.

I think it's easy to get caught up in the vinyl revival and to wind up thinking that all stores will be just fine. They won't, unfortunately.

18. monotubevibe

monotubevibe Forum Resident

This.

Peachy likes this.
  19. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Sure is! "Slackerville" has been sold, so End of an Ear and all those little businesses around it have to move. EOAE bought a place about 5 minutes south

Tom B likes this.
  20. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

One very big problem is the lack of quality control concerning new pressings. Each time a customer returns a brand new, sealed album due to pressing defects, the record store loses money; they get no credit from the trashed album. I've actually NOT returned new poorly pressed albums to my favorite record shop for this very reason. I just absorb the 20 or so bucks and dump the album because I don't want to be a part of what's hurting their business.

21. zen

zen Senior Member

You must have great luck with your orders.

22. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

Except for one used store and a record store that only sales vinyl, we really don't have anything in my town unless you count Walmart and bestbuy which have no selection at all. I miss going out to the local stores.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  23. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Maybe this too....

Younger kids, ie: youth driven market types....are driving less and less these days (pun unintended ;) ), not getting licenses like my peers when we turned 16. I'd drive to the record store...and often time needed to drive to a more distant one to find what I was looking for.

If I didn't get access to the family car....I'd hitchhike to the store. Does any kid do this anymore ?

Just one of many reasons...but it could hold some validity.

Vinylfindco likes this.
  24. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

People buying music online.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.