Why are so many record stores still closing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by radickeyfan, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

They're now all Chase banks and Duane Reade drug stores -not really, but that's how Manhattan is going. Most of the Jewish delis and about half of the old school coffee shops have gone too. A few record stores have opened in Brooklyn in recent years, but it's far from a thriving scene.

jhm and elgoodo like this.
  2. I agree that for whatever reason, Amoeba, at least in SF is not a great used vinyl store.

3. tspit74

tspit74 Forum Resident

4. roughdiamondnickel

roughdiamondnickel Well-Known Member

BluesOvertookMe and tspit74 like this.
  5. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Forum Resident

None really, I went to Rough Trade in Brooklyn recently, and it was OK...I just can't stop recalling what we had here in NYC , when we had huge Tower, HMV, and Virgin stores, my favorite place J&R Music World, and tons of little shops in the East and West Village...alamost all gone now

broshfab4 and jhm like this.
  6. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Forum Resident

Not even that many of those left. And the few I've been in I found underwhelming

7. Marc Perman

Saint Mark's Place between 2nd and 3rd alone had several good record stores. I come across used vinyl in LA with "Sounds" pink stickers from time to time. J&R was my favorite place too, I shopped there for decades.

8. dkurtis

dkurtis sonofthefather

The signature of a declining record market (as observed in the 1990's) is that the collectable records hold their value with select bands and titles increasing in value and the common records fall out. Each month, more and more titles get put in the 'common' category. In an increasing market, as JFK said - a rising tide lifts all boats. I believe that I am seeing the beginning of a declining 'used' record market. It is obvious that the consumer drives this market, but is also fair to conclude that there is a direct relationship between records sold and the offers that buyers make. It is a lagging relationship, but I believe that I am seeing buyer’s offers become less aggressive and far more selective. I took 20 records in to two different stores to sell today. These are the results: Store one has become more selective of titles and purchased 10 titles for $80. This offer was substantially more conservative given the titles than the previous 4 years. I then took the remaining 10 to Half Price Books. I am fully aware that they offer very, very, very little; however, they have become much more aggressive in their purchasing over the last 2 years due to higher sales and competition for the product. In the past, the remaining 10 would have been sold for $10-$20 to this Half Price Books - they offered $4. My answer was a very curt - NO. As I was browsing their used bins while waiting for my ridiculous offer, I noticed that their recent prices were about 50% of their earlier norms. In fact, I all but quit buying there because of the higher prices put on poor condition or common titles. Now this was not just the wrong buyer on the wrong day because they use nationwide computer pricing and companywide directives to make offers. Nor was this the wrong stack of records in bad condition. This is a trend that I have seen consistently developing over the last few months. I have seen the wide-open window of opportunity to thin my collection for the past 6-8 years, but I fear that window is beginning to close. It has made me move up my inventorying and thinning time deadline. What started five years ago, I now see needing to be complete this year. Sales prices have steadily fallen for most titles over these past 5 years and now seem to be picking up pace. This is just not my limited observation from Dallas, Texas as I have seen decreasing prices on Discogs also. As I inventory my collection, I research Discogs values in the event of calamity.

9. Muggles

Muggles Forum Resident

Less record stores, more Starbucks is what we need.

10. dkurtis

dkurtis sonofthefather

$5 coffee and lines out the door speaks volumes.

Fullbug and broshfab4 like this.
  11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Forum Resident

in Canada it's more Tim Hortons

Fullbug and Jimbo912 like this.
  12. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

This has nothing to do with buying. If a record store has no presence of these superstar artists,unless they come and go so fast the store is always out of stock,this is probably not the store one would want to be in. And as for desirability 1/30/2017,I would suspect these artists are the most desirable in a store. I have no idea when you got out of junior high(I suspect a while since most places call these years "middle school" for 30+ years)but know that millions of folk are either just entering the market,returning to the market and to vinyl or replacing titles due to wear,upgrading,nostalgia,etc. Millions. But not me.I have no desire for any of these bands but find myself in record stores more than twice a week. And if the store is ignorant of these acts,I would leave and not return until they got their act together.

broshfab4 likes this.
  13. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Millions? You really think "millions"? All righty then.

Dennis Metz likes this.
  14. jimac51

While I've never been in a Canadian version of an HMV,a Philadelphia based one of years ago(late '90s) was out of sync the first time I was in. Jazz CDs on the second floor at the everyday high,high prices one found at Tower or Borders with the distinction of having a crappy selection,MOR artists that did not belong there,not very bright staff(knew nothing about Blue Note even though there was a huge co-op sign for a current hot Blue Note artist(maybe Norah Jones first album? So one had to go up an extra flight of stairs for less selection,high prices and idiots behind the desk. I smiled when they bellied up.
    I don't see the demise of HMV Anywhere as necessarily proof that "so many record are stores are closing" as this seemed to be a chain well past its due date. Once again,like the current dumping of department stores that tried to sell lots of different stuff and still get the customer to pay for the rent,this farce has to end sometime and 2017 may be the year. People will still buy the kind of stuff they offer,but no one wants it at Macys, Penneys,Sears,Kmart,etc.

15. jimac51

No question.

broshfab4 likes this.
  16. Marc Perman

17. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

I'd say if you read up on Ricardo's law of rent you would begin to understand why brick and mortar stores are struggling while corporate behemoths are thriving, and get an idea of how to fix the economy so that markets are actually freed to enable the little guy to sustain himself.

tspit74 and reverberationmusic like this.
  18. jimac51

Very unlikely Walgreen's Boots Alliance will ever open up another Duane Reade. Walgreen's seemed to suck them up because if they didn't CVS was gonna do it. Walgreen's currently has the massive headache they created by trying to absorb Rite Aid , lowering the 2015 bid and having to close 1200,not 800, Rite Aids to placate the government. Those few Duane Reades are just grains of sand on the beach of despair known as Walgreen's Boots Alliance.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  19. dkurtis

dkurtis sonofthefather

I have found over the last 34 years that the timeless seven are:

The Beatles
    Rolling Stones
    Led Zeppelin
    Black Sabbath
    The Doors
    Pink Floyd
    King Crimson

broshfab4 likes this.
  20. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

$5 coffees, $700 phones, the latest useless apps and streaming. What will people have in a decades time to show for all this? Nothing. In the meantime I still thoroughly enjoy my old Discman that still works and is used daily, and my physical media from decades ago. Now THAT was money well spent.

Duophonic, Fullbug, 905 and 5 others like this.
  21. Eobard Thawne

Eobard Thawne Forum Resident

Only 2 local record shops closed up n last 2 years

Since then more vinyl has popped up n pawn shops, used book stores, flea markets

Even super flea markets , trade shows, and old malls/warehouses/grocery stores have been retro-fitted n 2 flea market/malls that carry vinyl & open everyday . So not is all lost

reverberationmusic likes this.
  22. Scott Sheagren

Scott Sheagren I’m a Metal,Rock,Jazz Fusion,Gaga type of guy.

My opinion is since illegal copying and iTunes and streaming services are destroying music stores.everyone I know says you still by cds?.
    if I go into Barnes and noble and look at the vinyl they are way overpriced to me.no way would I spend 30 dollars for one album.also I know people who just listen to YouTube.most people don’t care about quality.

Matthew Tate and alexpop like this.
  23. Scott Sheagren

Scott Sheagren I’m a Metal,Rock,Jazz Fusion,Gaga type of guy.

My cds ripped lossless through jriver using my dac sound better then my vinyl ever did.but again physical mediums are a dying breed.i have no music store to go to in my area

Galley likes this.
  24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Record stores are going the way of the dodo..if they can't get fresh titles ( used ) their just keeping their head above the water till the rent is increased then hasta la vista baby. Sad times for hands on consumers.

Matthew Tate and Scott Sheagren like this.
  25. rjp

rjp Forum Resident

my 2 cents:

you can buy just about anything you want to buy now on line and have it delivered to your door. usually for a better price than a store would have to charger to make any money.

the used stores are also pricing themselves right out of business by offering pennies for trade-ins (both CD and vinyl) and then re-selling those same trade-ins for 5 - 10 times what they paid for them, and i get it, they have to do this to stay in business, but the customer is getting tired of the practice and consequently has quit going to the sores opting for the online experience instead.

is it worth it for me to bag up 10 CD's and drive to a store to be offered less than $1 a disc? and then seeing something i want and not having enough in trade to get it?

it is a mess, and it isn't going to change anytime soon.