Why Are Some CD's Very Noisy In The Player and Others Quiet?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rockin_since_58, Feb 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I use an Emotiva ERC-3 CD Player/Transport and some CD's make a lot of mechanical noise like vibrations and rumbles while others are very quiet. What would cause this?

tmtomh likes this.
  2. MaxxMaxx4

MaxxMaxx4 Forum Resident In Memoriam

I personally haven't had that happen but if a CD center hole is not completely center some transports will make noise trying to track the groves.

PhantomStranger and Tim 2 like this.
  3. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

I owned an expensive Linn Majik player and had the same issue.

Some CDs caused noticeable vibration. Do not know why, however this very finicky player did sound quite nice for the 2 years I owned it and the times it decided to actually function.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  4. vinylfilmaholic

vinylfilmaholic Forum Resident

Used to have a few CDs back in the day that did this, most noticeably Styx "Greatest Hits". Very weird feeling with my discman in my pocket. o_O

andrewskyDE and gregorya like this.
  5. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Probably it is due to the weight of the label side being unevenly distributed (more ink on one side of the disc). Also some discs have their outside edges less neatly trimmed and this can cause noise. I have a Stereophonics CD that goes whirrrrr when I play it in a tray player because the outside edge is ragged.

tmtomh likes this.
  6. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I've had a problem with some Blu Rays vibrating - but only while displaying the menu. And it only occurred with one particular player.

tmtomh likes this.
  7. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I notice this when I rip CDs on my laptop. Not in my SONY XA20ES though.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  8. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

All about them being centered and also being balanced.

9. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

Never had any noise from my vintage JVC CD player. I did (with certain CD's) on my former Oppo 83.

10. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

Not every disc is going to be totally precise...some are also bowled slightly, which can make for a noisy spin but otherwise perfect play.

My Fad Gadget - Gag won't load in one of my disc drives. Vibrates like crazy. Other drives are fine. Weird.

tmtomh likes this.
  11. rockin_since_58

I also use a slim external combo drive on my iMac and some of my CD's make it dance around the desktop.

tmtomh likes this.
  12. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

One of the area dealers started carrying that line. For S&G I popped a CD into your model and it starting making all kinds of racket before it started to play, so ok grab another CD, same noise. I looked at John and said looks like a real winner, he shrugged. My impression is they don't have a very good transport in it.

13. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Aha! That's why you kept playing that CD over and over... ;)

14. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

To the OP...good question! I have a NAD C516BEE player that spins a few discs very noisy. Otherwise, they play fine in my Naim CD5i. Meanwhile, some disc skip in the Naim and play fine in the NAD. Just goes to show CDs are more "like vinyl" that we realize.

tmtomh and rockin_since_58 like this.
  15. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Half of my CD collection do mechanical noises in my players. Was always wondering about that.

tmtomh likes this.
  16. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

It may have something to do with cheaply made CD presses. Roxette's their 20 Greatest Songs, a CD pressed in Rumania I think and Boston's Life, Love & Hope also pressed on an Eastern country, both of them look cheaply made, make noises on my Oppo BDP-93, some other cheaply made also but I don't recall the titles right now.

tmtomh likes this.
  17. TwoTone25

TwoTone25 Well-Known Member

I have always noticed this also, but I have also noticed that the noisier discs seem to be spinning faster at the time of hearing the noise. Not sure though, but it could also be the weight, some discs weigh more than others.

tmtomh likes this.
  18. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

If the CD / DVD player is several years old such noises can be indicative of impending failure of the player. The OP didn't specify how old the unit is or whether this has been an issue from the start.

19. rockin_since_58

The player was purchased in March of 2016 so is less than a year old.

20. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Given the imprecision the CD's are manufactured to it's actually surprising they don't vibrate more, could be one of the reasons the drives fail.

tmtomh likes this.
  21. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

It has to do something with some CDs being slightly warped or off-center, if that's possible. Some CDs really make those light slim-drives move around the desk while ripping. I used to rip those in my old heavy Toshiba notebook that was build like a tank. Now I put a mousepad under the drive and a book on it.

Back in the days when I was much more worried about what could go wrong with my CDs or player these noises really bugged me. I never found an explanation why some discs made noises in my CD-player and others did not. I'd hold two discs together to see if one was warped and if the holes were matching and usually both CDs looked perfect to me.

I remember a small thing that I never found an explanation for. When my CD-player stopped spinning at the end of a CD, sometimes it stopped without a sound, or with barely a sound. With some CDs though, it stopped with a sound like ssssssssssss-shshshshsh-shd. If you know what I mean.

tmtomh and Kristofa like this.
  22. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I think than spin down sound has something to do with how the data is on the CD, it causes the player to spin the disc at full speed and when shut down you hear it winding down from full speed spinning, I think....

23. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

That's interesting. It sounded like the drive was putting the brakes on. But does a regular CD player use different speeds? I thought the run through in one speed like a turntable.

24. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

No, all sorts of speeds at different points as far as I can tell anyhow.

25. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Yes the center hole being off-set slightly is the cause of most transport noise in many machines.

MaxxMaxx4 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.