Why are some music official videos that were on VHS not on DVD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Lux, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd Thread Starter

This is perplexing to me. I have official VHS tapes of some great stuff that I would love to have on official DVD and do not appear to be available. Any ideas as to why that is?

Some examples:

Neil Young and Crazy Horse, "Complex Sessions"
    " " "Year of the Horse"
    " " "Weld"
    Lou Reed, "The New York Album"

2. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

I think with YouTube and the sort, a lot of music collections were seen as useless to release. I remember Fred Schneider once commented that there was a point they were considering putting the B-52's video collection out on DVD, but "who would buy a set when they can watch all the videos on YouTube?"

John Adam and c-eling like this.
  3. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

"Year of the Horse" is on DVD, I have it.

ARK, davers, Brian Lux and 1 other person like this.
  4. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I have a local who does transfers
    A couple I'd probably get done are
    Front 242's Integration 8x10 and Wax Trax! Black Box x2

5. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

same here.

it needs to be upgraded to blu-ray imho.

great film. saw it on the big screen at the toronto film festival as well …..

i have a vhs of neil young - freedom … which was like an 'ep' vhs … not many songs maybe 30 min. …. haven't seen that on dvd either …..

davers likes this.
  6. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

It's very simple. The copyright holders can spend 10 dollars to make 20 dollars or spend 10 dollars to make 50 dollars. It's a matter of allocation of resources.

7. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Certainly some promo vids, like labels would include with disc they wanted you to know about. I have Paula Abdul & MC Skat, for instance, and one by Jane Siberry. Also, a complete long-form vid of the Eno-Cale album. I bet I have more than a few commercially-available VHS vids not re-released on DVD. Joe Jackson's Big World sessions, where they recorded in front of a live audience, but instructed them to zip it. And a short tape of Swing Out Sister videos, and a Capercaillie pro-shot show I bought from England.[/I]

9. TheSeldomSeenKid

Also, I own this PULP VHS, but think it is available on DVD in Europe, but is Region Code Restricted and never released for the US DVD Region Code, and I do not own a multi region DVD Player.

[​IMG]

10. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

The The: Infected (one of the first true long-form videos; absolutely brilliant)

Neil Young: Trans (directed by Hal Ashby!)

Sub Pop used to have a video club during the early 90's that feature a lot of promos from their roster at the time.

Laurie Anderson: Home of the Brave (35mm release and home video)

Gift (1993 Jane's Addiction film; played in a single theatre before going to VHS)

bleachershane likes this.
  11. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Richard Thompson – Across a Crowded Room (live at Barrymore's, Ottawa, Canada, April 1985)
    Rosanne Cash – Interiors Live (ca. 1991)
    There's also a little film by the name of Let It Be. :tiphat:

12. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Kate Bush: The Line, The Cross and The Curve. Worth noting that her video for "Experiment IV" actually screened as a short film before several features in the U.K.

13. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

The Cure in Orange (L'Orange). Original camera negatives recently rediscovered, so a Blu Ray may be on the horizon

14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I used to love this on VHS.

[​IMG]

davers likes this.
  15. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd Thread Starter

Not a bootleg? I'll have to look for it again.

16. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Either keep a video tape player around or learn to transfer from tape to DVD-R.

17. davers

davers Forum Resident

Neil's "Year Of The Horse" was definitely an official DVD release, in print for at least a few years. I noticed that "In Berlin" has gone out of print too BTW...that's another good one.

I concur with you regarding "Weld"...that's one I'd love to see on DVD.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    Brian Lux likes this.
  18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Stone me no 25x25 on DVD yet.

19. davers

davers Forum Resident

A really good, well-paced Rolling Stones documentary from the late '80s. That would be a top-lister for me as well.

20. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

In the case of Van Morrison at the Beacon Theater (1989) the reason it wasn't released on dvd is simple sadism, so far as I can tell.

21. Mark_TB

Mark_TB Forum Resident

Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814. Not the video compilation, but the full mini-movie.

Beamish13 likes this.
  22. TheSeldomSeenKid

I made a mistake on the Joe Jackson Live in Tokyo selection as it is actually the DVD that I own But as far as I know the other Joe Jackson title I listed has never gotten a DVD version and only VHS

23. TheSeldomSeenKid

Was this title only released on VHS, or is it also on DVD?

[​IMG]

24. TheSeldomSeenKid

This is on DVD but cost a fortune-$125 Used and $156 Near New Condition on Amazon Secondary Sellers last time I checked. I had it on VHS. Their Final Concert and included some great songs from their last album when they just went by the name, 'Boingo'

[​IMG]

MarilynsPickle likes this.
  25. MarilynsPickle

MarilynsPickle Forum Resident

I'd buy it! I'd rather watch someone's videos on a DVD than have to be interrupted and bombarded with pop-up ads all the time, like on YouTube.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.