Why are the Hudson Brothers so unloved?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by robroyfingerhead, Aug 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

2. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident

A lot of us thought it was pretty damn funny. You and I both are entitled to our opinions.

3. Reader

Reader Senior Member

As post #19 states, so many labels and releases over a number of years. They were lost in the crowd and then had the tv show that caused them more problems than any help exposing people to their music. As also stated above, if a box set of their work was released by someone like Sundazed, Now Sounds, or Ace they would get some deserved respect.

Just enjoy their music, ignore the video stuff and know you are enjoying some fine music that most want to ignore or don't know about. Their day may still come.

robroyfingerhead likes this.
  4. ForeverHudsonLover

ForeverHudsonLover New Member

Being a longtime Hudson Brothers admirer since my teens I fortunately got the opportunity to meet them and see many of their concerts. In my teens, in the 70's, I enjoyed all they had to offer - music, comedy, acting and good looks. However, as I've gotten older and was able to be slightly more objective, I see now what all of you have said. Unfortunately, though a lot of their music was appealing, it was clouded by their attempt to be all round entertainers. Knowing them personally, I also know they never appreciated their teen and pre-teen audience back in the 70's - the ones buying their records. So I would ask them this - why did they ever do a Saturday morning kid show?
    Seeing Mark at BeatleFests for the past several years, I continue to see his dismissiveness of fans who still love The Hudson Brothers and would still love to see them for a reunion. This continues to puzzle me. Why oh why did they market themselves toward a teen audience, do comedy and music, attempt to be actors ta-boot, but now only want to be remembered as musicians? And most importantly resent their true fans, the ones from the 70's, and I might add the only ones buying their music and attending their concerts. This will never make any sense to me - never will.

5. Rick B.

Rick B. Senior Member

I love the Hudson Brothers, and own 6 of their albums, including the less-known "Hudson" and "Damn Those Kids" releases. Also have the Best Of CD.

The album "Totally Out Of Control" is the greatest Beatles album ever recorded by non-Beatles. A sing-a-long record from start to finish.

6. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Sweaters and moustaches.

7. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

Doesnt he have and unreleased Nilsson album in his possesion?

8. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

My theory is they took every offer they got in the hopes to be discovered. It never occurred to them that they might get typed cast, such as by a Saturday morning cartoon show. Their other problem is they never decided what their main identity was, thus confusing their brand: Comic trio? Rock band? TV stars? Kiddie stars? Movies? They were all over the place. The closest comparison to them is Rick Springfield. He did a soap opera, a kid show and eventually top 40 pop. The difference for him is he seemed focused on making it in the record biz and made that his priority. The Hudsons wanted success in anything and weren't as focused at to what they were aiming for.

9. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I haven't seen any mention of their 60's work here yet. They put out some really decent singles as The New Yorkers. It's very Bee Gees/Beatles sounding. "Mr Kirby" is a nice slice of psych garage. "Adrianne" too is a good one to hear. I found an album of these singles that looks like it was released during their TV show period to cash in on the name. Anyone interested in more obscure 60's pop should definitely check out this early material.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.