Why are these 12AX7WA Teles so expensive?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Monsieur Gadbois, Jun 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

That's just a rare 12AX7 variant. Not a real ECC83. For collectors.

FORGET IT!

3. Monsieur Gadbois

Thanks Steve.

4. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

I have to disagree with Steve. The ECC803S is the upgraded version of the ECC83 and it is most sought after by audiophiles. Upgraded means: Lower noise, lower microphonic effect, longer life. I understand that this tube was designed specifically for audio, and it was used in professional tube audio equipment, for example mixing consoles, by Telefunken.

The S in ECC803S stands for "Spanngitter", it refers to a special construction where the grid is formed by a very very thin wire which is wound over a frame with some tension. It is more costly to produce, but results in a less microphonic tube.

Many tube experts agree that this was the best ECC83/12AX7 ever produced, but it has become quite rare and you have to feel serious tube guilt if you dare using it :D

5. MARKM

MARKM Member

Sorry Petzi, I know these were made to a very high spec by Telefunken, without doubt, but they are not worth the money advertised. They're 'avin a giraffe mate.

Go for a 1/2 decent JJ Tesla modern remake or at least (possibly) a Mullard if you really want NOS.

If the system is using a sensitive back-end where noise can be an issue, i.e. Lowthers/horns etc. and/or the power stage is quite high-gain a la Leak Stereo 20, go for some ex-military/JAN 5751's - the GE ones are good. These are an excellent tube with slightly less gain, a slightly thicker glass envelope, made to a high spec and a direct swap for an ECC83. You can't go wrong.

Take me outside, give me a whipping and call me Doris, but in this particular instance, I am speaking from experience.

OK mate?

Enjoy,

Cheers,
    Mark.

6. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Maybe the touch of microphonics is what gives the regular old Tele it's midrange magic...

7. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

You got me wrong, I never said they are worth $700 a pair. But that's the current rate on eBay. I know there are decent other tubes, and I would never buy this tube at this price...

8. Steve Hoffman

That's why I said FORGET IT in the first place.:)

9. MARKM

MARKM Member

Sorry Petzi - did not mean to misconstrue.

I just cannot believe these crazy eBay prices........

Cheers,
    Markm

10. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

For people who spend $50,000 on their hi-fi system, it doesn't really matter if they spend another $700 on a pair of tubes. They'd pay almost any price if they knew the got the very best for it.

11. Steve Hoffman

I have about 30 of them (from old radar units, etc.) and never use them. They just don't have the "sound" of the regular issue. Some times things can be regulated to death losing the essential musicality that is inherent in the lesser model. Same goes for the "special" RCA octal red base tubes as well....

12. Monsieur Gadbois

30 of them!!!:eek: That's worth a whopping 15 X $710 = $10,600
    More than enough to put a down payment on a mastering console for junior:D

13. millerdog

millerdog New Member

Third time back to this thread! I just can't believe it!
    Steve, if you don't like the sound of the ECC803s, what the hell are you doing sitting on 30 of em?
    I'd liquidate and buy myself a **** load of tele AX7 smoothies and ribbies! Hell toss in about 200 tele AT7s too!:)
    Go bulk and buy like 5000 sovtek long plates!
    Sorry, nuff said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.