Why buy the DCC Gold 'Hotel California'?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chip Stylus, Aug 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chip Stylus

Chip Stylus I buy music! Thread Starter

Help me, all of you who have purchased this gold disc on DCC:

I have a chance to buy the DCC for a few bucks above the original list price of $30, but I am not an all-out fan of the Eagles. I have heard the singles off this lp so many times that I never felt the need to purchase the vinyl (maybe I am burned out on american seventies rock too, unless it is of the Ramones/Television/Feelies variety). so am havve to be sold on the music too, I guess.

So tell me in plain english, point by point, why this disc is a "must have".

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

It stinks. Don't buy it.

3. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

BUY THIS IMMEDIATELY!!! HAVE YOU EVER SEEN THE FORUM POLL ON WHICH DCC BENEFITTED THE MOST FROM THE HOFFMAN TREATMENT? THIS GOT # 3.

BUY IT! I'M TELLING YOU!!!

IT'S NIGHT & DAY!

sorry to shout!

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Buy It NOW! before you regret it later...It's THAT good!:)

5. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

BUY IT!! and if you don't like it I'll buy it from you. :D

6. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Don't believe this guy. He has no idea what he's talking about. ;)

Seriously, I sat in front of Krell electronics, really expensive Wilson (something or the other) speakers, fancy-dandy cables, the whole shu-bang.

The store guy audiophile said that the DVD-A was amazing and it would be hard to beat.

Then we played the DCC.

Beat! :D

He did tend to like the louder songs a bit better than the DVD-A, but not by much. What blew him away was the quieter songs where Steve's mastering really shone on the vocals. He looked pale.... :cool:

I should lend him the CD to play at home - that'll shake him to his roots! :D

Man, you'd better pick this one up! I'm actually getting a second copy soon....

Gary

(PS: Just kidding, Steve.... )

7. bartels76

$ 30 is cheap. That's what you would pay new.

8. ascot

ascot Senior Member

The stink Steve is referring to is the smell of burning master tapes in the Easy Bake oven. :D

If you have no clue what I'm talking about, stop trying to figure it out and go buy the darn disc. You won't regret it! :thumbsup:

9. chaz

chaz Senior Member

I guess it's a must have IF:
    1) you're an Eagles fan
    2) you love the songs, no matter how many times you've heard them
    3) you want THE best sound these songs have ever been heard in, on any format to date
    :D

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

:laugh: :laugh:

11. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

Whether you want this album will of course depend on your personal tastes. To me, this is the Eagles at their best.

If you do decide you want it, the answer to which version to get is a no brainer. The DVD-A has gotten mixed reviews. The DCC version is loved by everyone, who's heard it, including me. It's the best version out there.

12. Chip Stylus

Steve, if you told me that you were personally not a fan and the remastering of this lp made you into one, I'd buy it on your recommendation. I've read that you recommended ELO's Eldorado, if you think this lp is as startling as that ELO you recommended, that would mean something to me.

I know that some of you think this is a joke thread, but it is not. And the cd I was offered was for $35, I was saying that I saw it for a 'little above the original $30 price".

13. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

No, Thom, it's not a "joke" thread.

This disc is so seriously good that it's an easy buying decision for me. Heck, if almost anything says "Mastered by STEVE HOFFMAN", it's an easy buying decision for me!

14. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Steve said:

Yeah, Steve, it stinks. If only you had put time into this mastering job! ;)

Thom,

There are some things in this world that you just don't question. Buying the DCC gold version of Hotel California is one of them. Get this disc!

15. Chip Stylus

Your avatar reminds me of one of my favourite lp's, Gary. If this DCC disc was the 'Phantom Of The Paradise' soundtrack, I would have brought it home. If it were Ringo or Pet Sounds or Wes Montgomery or Sonny Rollins, it'd be mine. I just don't know about the Eagles. It would have to sound really 3-d, really "eye popping".

16. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

For $35? Heck, buy it!

Even if by now you're just barely tolerating the Eagles...GET IT!!!

17. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Hey if you buy it and don't like it there is always the classified section in this forum. It may take a minute or two for one of us to scarf it up......

18. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Don't be foolish. If you're lucky to find this or any other DCC Gold titles floating around(especially Pop and Rock titles), grab them immediately!!!!

19. Tim Casey

Tim Casey Active Member

Why should you not buy it? Because you may, like me, roll your eyes whenever someone mentions The Eagles.

Why should you buy it? Because the song "Hotel California" is much, much better than the rest of their catalog, and I'm sure it won't ever sound better than it does on the DCC disc.

20. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Thom,

Buy it - NOW!

Steve did a super job with mastering those fragile tapes. Capture one while you can!

Bob:)

21. bartels76

Buy it! You'll get at least $ 40 for it if you want to resell it.

22. Evan

Evan Senior Member

If you don't by it, you will regret it. Steve's version is great. For me, it was like hearing the album for the first time all over again. Much better than the regular version.

23. GabeG

GabeG New Member

Personally, I don't understand why you're even wondering since your not a fan of the Eagles. No matter how good the mastering is, if the music isn't your taste it makes no sense. Isn't it about the music??

That said however, I agree with the above post. You can't lose if you do buy it and don't like it.

24. Mike

Mike New Member

Agreed. This is bizarre. :confused:

25. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

What he said. Also, this is a good disc for demonstrating the difference between regular and audiophile remasterings. One of the more profound DCC vs. regular issue titles.

Apparently these tapes are in bad shape, and required a ridiculous amount of work by Steve to decipher their EQ, so I suspect the DCC issue will remain the definitive version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.