Why did George Harrison walk out during Let it Be?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by helter, Apr 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

One of my favourite McCartney albums. As Is 'Wild Life' and 'Ram' and 'Back To The Egg'. Go figure.

funkydrummer and theMess like this.
  2. stevepafford

stevepafford Well-Known Member

Er, I've got news for you. We are. The thread is essentially about the (ex) Beatles and what they're like to work with in the studio. It's not about one person who was never there and their grudge against a producer of a little remembered inconsequential album from the 80s.

3. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Well so this Padgham is the reason that George left out during Get Back?

4. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

Actually this thread is about why George left, and his relationships with Paul and John.

I was merely responding to a tired anecdote. Funny how Paul gets ripped to shreds here and no one has any problem with that. But I propose that Padgham's self-serving comments about Paul revealed a lot about Padgham and suddenly I have a "grudge." Okaaayy.

Back to George and his grudges. And Paul and his controlling ways.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  5. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

I guess it depends on your definition of a "hit". Only Press and My Brave Face cracked the top 40 in US. He did have several top 40 hits in the UK (one top 10) and New hit 3 in Japan (should have been higher elsewhere IMO).

Obviously he still had success with albums and pretty good but not great charting with the two Beatle singles.

Nothing would please me more than to say otherwise. I actually thought New would crack the top ten in the US.

I just call it as I see it...and it does tie back into the George thread. I think the two of them collaborating could have produced excellent studio magic, but Paul would have had to treat George as an equal starting with the I Me Mine sessions, where at that point George had great great material in the can.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  6. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I think tracks like "My Brave Face" and "Your Loving Flame" and "New," to name several that spring to mind right away, were worthy of being hits. At some point, though, times changed, Paul got old, and radio wasn't going to get behind him, no matter how good or bad the songs were. We'll never know, but he could have saved "Hey Jude" for Off the Ground and I doubt it would have been a top ten hit in the 90s.

theMess, vitorbastos123 and Rfreeman like this.
  7. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Sometimes when a thread drifts it is because everything that can be said about the original topic has been said. Of course most of it has been forgotten over the course of 49 pages, so those itching for more will probably find it refreshing to reread from page 1.

8. stevepafford

stevepafford Well-Known Member

Surely after 49 pages you've got your answer?

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Or as I think George would say: EIGHT months younger! :D

Paul is 8 months, 7 days older. Paul liked to round up, George rounded down... :)

theMess likes this.
  10. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

:D bizarre last couple of pages, but, yep...the answer, if any, was discussed a long, long time ago in the thread.

11. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

I generally agree. I think "New" would have been number one if it were on London Town. Not all were good though. I think he was looking for a big hit with Freedom, and, well, there have been long threads on that topic. Now there is a Townshend video on that going around, as painful to watch as the Clapton piece.

12. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

He certainly had his ups and downs in the 80s and 90s, but there were songs scattered throughout that output that would have been hits had they been released in the 70s, I agree.

theMess likes this.
  13. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

If this topic is exhausted, perhaps we can discuss why Stig walked out in the middle of the "Get Up And Go" sessions. I think after Barry quit in 1968, Stig may have wanted to start a "Stig has also quit" rumor. Or perhaps it was just bad tax advice.

14. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.