Why did George Martin remix Rubber Soul for cd?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by peerke, Jan 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

As far as remixing from the same era, what does everyone think of Bob Irwin's Byrds and Raiders remixes?

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Start the thread, Paul, and we'll be there...:D

:ed:

3. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

OK

Transitioning... transitioning... we're almost there... :p

4. rubbersounds

rubbersounds Forum Resident

I haven't heard any of these, are they only available on the MMT video release?

5. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

IIRC the only place to ge them is on the on of the MMT VHS tapes (not sure of there is more than one VHS version). I'm not even sure what songs he remixed. I think it's Blue Jay Way, Your Mother Should Know and the title track. He posted here awhile back about how he synced up the pre-bounced tapes but I can't find the post..

6. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Yeah, I'm sure I'm listening to the RS remix and yes I'm aware it's the Beatles. My point was that the RS remix has this dated 80's digital reverb added to it that is inappropriate for an album from the mid 60's. Make sense?

7. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

So, the Revolver CD is NOT remixed?

Do this go for ALL PM mixes or just the Y&T songs?
    Thanks.

8. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Revolver was not remixed. And there is NO additional reverb added to any of the Past Masters tracks. Each one is the original UK mix, Steve says that for the most part flat tapes were used on PM. Several mixes on the Yesterday and Today LP were unique to that album...and they were all done by George Martin. Several tracks that ended up on the UK Revolver LP, and specifically the 45 We Can Work It Out/Day Tripper had alternate US mixes...some prefer them to the UK mixes....and some don't. Ron

9. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Thanks, Brain!

10. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

What I meant was that the vocals on the mix of "Day Tripper" that's on "Past Masters" are drenched in reverb compared to the mix that's on "Yesterday...and Today". There's just a slight amount of reverb on the vocals on the "Yesterday...and Today" mix. The mixes sounds so different they are like two different performances altogether.

11. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I believe that there are 2 unique mixes for those songs on Yesterday and Today, the stereo and mono version, which are both unique compared to the UK and current cd versions, is that correct?

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Aren't some RUBBER SOUL and REVOLVER mixes also unique to the USA versions wherever they showed up?

God, I used to know all of this but as I get older.....

"The Word", "I'm Only Sleeping", etc. Both mono and stereo mix differences from the British mixes..

13. Yes! I was just poking a little fun at your comment because I thought you meant it to be a little exaggerated. Agreed, the digital reverb sounds out of place (and bad).

14. child of nature

child of nature dreaming, more or less

Drifter--I totally agree with you. I just A/B'd these two tracks through headphones, and I couldn't believe the differences in the amount of reverb on the vocals. I definitely prefer the mix on Y&T.

15. Listen to the guitar intro, as well, for marked differences between the two. Of course, we also have the 1 remastered version, with the "fixed" drop out.

16. Yeah, "I'm Only Sleeping" has almost too many variant mixes to name . . . I think the UK stereo, UK mono, US stereo, UK mono, and French stero & mono all have differences, mostly in the placement and amount of the backwards guitar effects. Somewhere, it's claimed that the verses in the US mixes are rearranged compared to the UK, but I think this is not trua as I compared them once and found the verses to be in the same order.

The Word US mix is different (some say "noisier"). I'm Looking Through you has a false start on the US version, but otherwise I believe the mix is the same.

Also, the "East Coast" US mastering of Rubber Soul has a thin layer of reverb, compliments of Mr. David Dexter, I believe.

There are probably tons of other mix differences that aren't coming to mind.

17. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Two false starts to be precise. :)
    Yes, I've always loved the way the 2nd guitar comes in on the right channel after the first riff plays on the left channel on the "Yesterday...and Today" mix. :love::thumbsup:

:sigh:

18. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Were you listening to a stereo or mono Y & T? Are there reverb differences between the stereo and the mono?

19. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

STEREO. The monos should be the same on "Day Tripper" and "We Can Work it Out". The differences in the stereo mixes, "Day Tripper" especially, are beyond more echo on one than the other - better balances, etc. "Day Tripper" ROCKS in the original stereo mix, while the remix sounds like a Pat Boone "cover" in comparison. :sigh:

20. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

The vocals seem to perhaps be even a tiny bit drier on the mono mix (which is a different mix than the stereo) but it's likely due to the fact that there's no separation (d'uh) in mono. The doubled guitars start from the beginning on the mono mix and the dropout after the solo is longer (2 tambourine hits are absent compared to 1 on the stereo mix).

21. brainwashed

Here's a few more:

The US stereo mix of The Word has all vocals on one channel, presumably RS1.

The US mono mix of Michelle has louder percussion, both UK and US mono mixes are longer than the stereo mixes.

The US mono mix of I'm Looking Through You is longer. The stereo as noted, has the fasle starts due to some banding error.

The US mono mix of Taxman runs slightly slower than the UK mix and all stereo mixes.

I'm Only Sleeping....There are four distinct mixes...UK RM2 and RS2, US, RM5 and RS1. The ONLY differences are the placements of George's backwards guitar fills. The French EP does not feature a different mix and the US mix does not re-arrange the verses.

And Your Bird Can Sing....US stereo has the guitars mixed lower...or the percussion mixed louder.

Dr. Robert....US mono has a louder fade, you can actually hear the song end...and John says something like "Ok, Herb". The UK stereo mix has some effect on John's vocal making it edgier.

Most of the other songs have differences in the mono and stereo mixes, but they are identical in the UK and US....whewww

22. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Yeah, it sounds like they applied reverb to everything on the stereo mix found on "Past Masters", "1", etc... :shake:

Is the stereo "Day Tripper" perhaps the only example of a Dave Dexter Jr. version of a song that is much drier than the widely available mix? :eek::thumbsup:

23. brainwashed

Just to be clear, the stereo mix of Day Tripper, as heard on Past Masters is the exact same mix as originally released on the UK A Collection Of Beatle Oldies LP in 1966. Dave Dexter didn't remix or do anything to Day Tripper or We Can Work It Out...those mixes were prepared by George Martin...for whatever reason Sir George tried improving the mixes for the UK and yes indeed, he added a lot of reverb to the stereo mixes. It's really inaccurate to say Dave Dexter aded reverb to everything....quite clearly he did not. Though that rare version of Rubber Soul with an extra layer of reverb on top of EVERYTHING belies that somewhat. After the 1964 release of the echo-laden I Feel Fine/She's A Woman single, I can't recall another US mix which has more reverb than it's UK counterpart. Though, strangely enough several stereo UK mixes had more reverb than the mixes sent to Capitol. Ron

24. THANKS. I know. :laugh:

25. That's RARE? I scored a VG+ copy of it about ten years ago for $8.00.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.