Why did Kenney Jones leave the Who?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by appledan, Nov 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nojasa

nojasa Forum Resident

2. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

That comment is rediculous.

3. Not sure where...Mojo or Uncut probably;but I read an interview with Kenney Jones sometime where he stated his annoyance at the Who not recording new music and just releasing compilations which restricted his income from the band.
    Apparently he joined on the proviso that they would continue to record new music and he'd receive income from recordings as well as whatever salary he was on.
    The other three of course got income from the many compilations they released and they're live work slowed also reducing his income.
    Whether he jumped or was pushed he gave the impression of being dissatisfied.
    Cheers,
    Humanbeing.

4. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Jones did play with the group when they re-formed in 1988 for a British music awards show. I remember reading at the time of 1989 reunion that Jones was indeed asked to participate but he declined because he and Paul Rodgers were working on a project together. Whether this is/was the truth or whether it was a way for Jones to save face I don't know.

5. dotwacky

dotwacky Forum Resident

I guess he was used to it from his experiences with Rod Stewart.

duggan likes this.
  6. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Kenney probably said that to save face, as his project with Rodgers, The Law, came a few years after that 1989 tour. It is a fact that Roger Daltrey did not want Kenney on that tour.

Evan

7. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Well, doing copious amounts of drugs and alcohol is not conducive to maintaining a steady tempo. That made things very hard for Entwhistle to hold things together, especially while Townsend was soloing.

8. RonInCRIA

RonInCRIA New Member

I think the guy who would have worked the best was Clem Burke, whom I consider a better drummer than Moon himself. but at this point I could care less what "The Who" does. After they went out on tour after Entwistle died the way they did, they, like "The Pretenders" are dead to me.

24voltsdc and stevepafford like this.
  9. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Raphael Rudd's album "The Awakening". I believe Raphael (the late, great) was a fellow follower of Meher Baba. He also arranged the brass on "Rough Boys". Phil's drumming on the album is absolutely spellbinding. You can still get it, pretty cheap, last time I checked at CD Universe. Pete produced it - or at least the bed tracks, it also has Annie Haslam. I think Pete sings a duet with her.

dee likes this.
  10. joefont

joefont Senior Member

I'm sure it was. But when you think about it, Entwistle must have had to stay on his toes to play with Moon which ultimately made him a better bassist. It must have been mighty challenging for him because he turned out to be one supremely talented bassist!

Dave Hoos likes this.
  11. serge

serge Forum Resident

man let me say i have to say that i love kenney jones.. just love him.. heck i love faces more than the who and kenney jones is all over the faces.. heck i spent today listening to a nod is as .... kenney kicks ***... sorry he didnt work out with the who..but they acted like such has beens the entire time he was with them... i mean really

12. butch

butch Senior Member

point well taken.Kenney was a good choice on paper to replace Moony,but you can't replace Moony.Pete DID save his best work for his solo albums BUT so what!Can you see the Who doing "People Stop Hurting People"?The production on Face Dances was weak and the songs were not that bad.KJ is a kick butt drummer but he never got his chance to shine on the Who ,too bad.

13. FranzD

FranzD Forum Resident

Exactly. Another recommended listen is Tin Soldier. In those days I thought Kenny Jones with the Who would work. Bad luck that he joined the band in a period of artistic decline.

14. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Kenney actually did some quite inspired drum work with the Who onstage. Listen to the end flourishes on the live Kampuchea version of "Sister Disco". And his drumming worked well with "Behind Blue Eyes" from that same concert.

Evan

15. FranzD

FranzD Forum Resident

Golden Earring? I saw them opening for the Who in 1972. Some of my pals preferred them to the Who on that day. Not me.

16. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Kenney was never their problem. The problem was that Pete lost his way and then lost interest in the Who. They did good stuff with Jones. The 80's was a lot different than the 70's. The egos of the the 3 original members, mixed with substances, lack of direction, and lack of interest was the big problem.

Had Pete wanted to continue, they would have continued to rival the Stones for the greatest surviving band honor. Ticket buyers and cd shoppers don't care that Bill Wyman's gone or that Ron Wood is a replacement for a replacement of an original member. Had Pete kept The Who a priority in his life, it wouldn't matter who played the drums. I personally thought Kenney fit fine. Listen to Joker James on the Quad soundtrack as well as his playing on Face Dances and It's Hard. Keith played a lot more like Kenney towards the end of his life. The Who Are You album had considerably more econmical drumming than previous efforts, and I thought it served the songs well.

After 20 years, the band hated each other and threw it all away. Their scapegoat is Kenney Jones. I don't buy it.

17. jblock

jblock Senior Member

I think Kenney had some great moments with the Who. On It's Hard he seemed to make a concerted effort to be more Moon like with his flourishes, although Don't Let Go the Coat from Face Dances is my favorite moment of his with the Who.

18. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Thanks, I'll check that out!

19. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Phil:
    Dave Thompson, Genesis: Chapter and Verse (2007), p. 282

20. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

Remember that it's Kenney Jones on the released take of "It's Only Rock 'n Roll". Richards and Taylor overdubbed the original guitar parts but Charlie Watts declined to replace the drums track as he felt that he couldn't do better than Jones.

Of course, if you think that Watts is an entry-level drummer...

24voltsdc, duggan and Dave Hoos like this.
  21. robert david white

robert david white New Member

Hi guys , I watched the concert for campuchia the other night , now nobody would ever be in danger of replacing moony , God bless him x.i have been playing drums for a very long sometime , professionally some of the time,after seeing that gig , I thought Kennedy done a fantastic job, there was magic , excitement , like the old days . I adored the job that Simon Phillips done with them , he was amazing , and I've stuck with that for ages , to add I've been forever a Kennedy fan , bout I'm sorry I've see zac who oh my god is a great player of course , but when I've seen clips they all look bored stiff , very clinical , let's dish it out and go home , but Kennedy is an amazing strong reliable solid drummer , he always has been, and the campuchia gig was the last gig the who had magic charisma , just a vibrant vibe like the old who in the old days, his playing didn't intrude , he created space for every body , just a reall pro unflashy job , but oh so strong , maybe because it was a while ago but , if roger dal trey knocks my door tonight , I would say how much I disagree with him , a drummer friend of mine met Kennedy and he openly admitted him and dal trey had differences , or dal trey wasn't happy with his playing, it was so bad he was in the frame for ten years , correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not sure on that , but Kennedy Jones done a great job , Simon was colossal, but kennels heritage won through for me , a hero was on the throne for the who for ten years , I rest my case , lol ruff drummer xxxx

22. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

His playing became very stiff. Maybe it was his back.

23. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

If that's what you hear in Kenneys dumming? I hear slow, mechanical, stiff, lacking any power and explosion, simple and just down right horrible playing. And it only got worst in the 80s.

24. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I find it hard to beleive Kenney Jones was asked to play with then band in 1989. Anyone have the article?

25. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

Roger and Pete should do one last record/tour with Mike Watt on bass and Clem Burke on drums and really be The Who one more time

stevepafford likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.