Why did Kubrick cut down "The Shining" for international release?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by C6H12O6, Oct 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. As I recall, they are in the hospital being visited by the hotel manager who brings Danny the ball that was seen rolling down the hallway. I'm pretty sure Scatman's character was dead as he got an ax in the chest.

2. A sick, twisted but classy party. Sounds interesting to me.

Ghostworld and genesim like this.
  3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

The only shot I don't really think is great is of the skeletons in chair. Kinda weak. Kinda of a cheap spook house effect. I'm really surprised Kubrick used it and didn't insist on something better.

4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

That's my kinda bash.

genesim likes this.
  5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Spread across and entire continent and I still haven't seen that version! I bet it does feel snappier, but I also like the US cut.

6. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

There other earlier scenes that hint at the possibility of it. But then there are a lot of things in the film that hint at many possible sub texts. Which is part of what is so good about the movie.

7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Sexual abuse? I don't think so, either. Where are there hints on that in the film?

8. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I didn't say it, but I felt it was alluded to in previous posts, so I say out with it people. Who believes this and where is the evidence. I am all ears because I am intrigued.

9. Don't bother, there is no evidence.

10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

If you’ve never heard any of the music that Wendy Carlos wrote for “the shining“ which Kubrick discarded and was later put on a very limited release cd called “rediscovering lost scores volume one“ here’s your chance to hear some of it. I went to visit a “haunted house“ and shot some video (you get To hear me chatting nice to hotel staff as I do my gorilla filmmaking I was in there for a total of 20 minutes)

but when it came to music I remembered YouTube now doesn’t have a problem with you using copyrighted music as long as you don’t make money from it. So why not just use copyrighted music? And what’s really funny is that maybe Wendy’s music is so obscure hear that YouTube’s copyright searching machine hasn’t figured it out yet from the screams in bells.

Anyway it’s not much of a movie it’s just me wandering around with the camera but I didn’t alter the score is it all except one or two jump effects and a possible overlapping of tracks. Psrt of the music was Also used in the movie. You’ll recognize it.

This is just some strange old Hollywood hang out saloon brothel hotel that apparently has a few specters but I didn’t see anything. I was too busy filming! You think in a hotel filled with Hollywood specters the ghosts would come flying out for the cameras. Anyway my version of a ghost hunters” blissfully free up quick cuts and chat, again, except when I am trying to keep from getting tossed out. And a very interesting talk with the desk clerk.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    SRC and yesstiles like this.
  11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

How many book adaptions sway FAR away from the original novel?

12. FatherMcKenzie

FatherMcKenzie Forum Resident

I just saw your post, Ghostworld. In my opinion, the usual degree in which filmmakers sway details from the source material is pretty far and wide (leaving out characters and sections, compiling various written characters into one for a film), even while keeping to the main themes of said source material. In the end I suppose, it's whether the reader/viewer is aware of the differences in an immediate sense of reading and viewing, and, it ruins the experience for them. Amongst other instances in Tolkien's books, it's like Peter Jackson deciding to leave out Tom Bombadil and the fate of Saruman as written.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.