Why did Steve Buscemi stop appearing in Adam Sandler films?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Baba Oh Really, Mar 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

IMO, Sandler's best film is Punch Drunk Love. It's an above-average film at best, but nothing else he's done that I've seen even comes close.

2. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite" Thread Starter

My friend, no need to analize everything so closely. The fact is that Steve Buscemi made many appearances in many of Adam Sandler's finest films, and then for a long time, Sandler made films without Steve's obligitory slot, and the quality of his films has gone downhill ever since. Obviously, others responding to this thread know exactly what I'm talking about and are experiencing this the same way.

There is no need to say "what you're saying isn't quite technically correct" in response to everything. Just enjoy the ride...

3. Pibroch

Pibroch Active Member

It's really creepy how you keep describing Sandler's films as if they are cinematic high watermarks. Seriously, they're pretty much garbage, save for maybe 50% of "50 First Dates", which was a fairly sweet (if dumb) movie. And I laughed my fool *** off at "Happy Gilmore".

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

But I LOVE to tell people they're technically incorrect!!! :laugh:

Which I don't feel I'm doing here. I think the thread works from an assumption that Buscemi was in lots and lots of Sandler movies and then stopped entirely. Neither of those are correct - Sandler starred in made 23 movies since/including "Airheads", and Buscemi was only in about 30% of them.

Even if you look at 1994-99 when they did the most together, Buscemi still skipped three Sandler vehicles: "Happy Gilmore", "Bulletproof" and "Waterboy".

("Airheads" isn't even really a "Sandler movie" - he wasn't a star then, and was third on the billing AFTER the better-known Buscemi.)

So accuse me of being pedantic if you like, but your thread exists based on an incorrect belief that a) Buscemi was "always" in Sandler movies, and b) now he's never in them.

Falling out? Other issues? Doubt it. I think they're just busy guys and Buscemi can't always make it onto the Sandler set. Don't see what the fuss is.

And don't agree there's any correlation between Buscemi's appearance and the quality of the films. Some S/B flicks are good, some aren't. Some S/no B movies are good, some aren't. Sandler's about as hit or miss as they come...

5. Oatsdad

So you liked 25 of the dates? :D

I don't agree that they're "pretty much garbage", but as I just mentioned, Sandler is insanely hit or miss. He can make very funny movies or he can make totally terrible movies.

BTW, in my estimation, the Sandler/Buscemi track record isn't better than Sandler solo's track record:

1994: Airheads - Mediocre
    1995: Billy Madison - Very Good
    1998: Wedding Singer - Pretty Good
    1999: Big Daddy - AWFUL
    2002: Mr. Deeds - Pretty Good
    2007: I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry - AWFUL
    2010: Grown Ups - EVEN MORE AWFUL!

6. appledan

appledan Resident Rockist

None of those are as bad as Funny People. My first time ever walking out on a movie.

7. Oatsdad

To each his own - I thought "Funny People" was good. Not great, but good, and infinitely better than puerile crap like "Grown Ups" or "Chuck and Larry"...

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...any true fan of Steve must see ED AND HIS DEAD MOTHER! :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.