Why did the Beatles dislike "Help!" the film?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by CMcGeek, Sep 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

That may be one of the best scenes of the entire film. "Even the Royal House of Hanover (?) had the wheel, sir..."

CMcGeek likes this.
  2. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

"Not a bit like Cagney."

CMcGeek and dangiedr like this.
  3. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

That was the the whole point of the movie, was it not?

CMcGeek, Vidiot, numer9 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

When first released, the darts thrown at the screen had half the audience looking back to see who was throwing them. A great effect at the theater!

Superintendent: So this is the famous ring?

Ringo: I'm in fear of me life, you know!

Superintendent: And these are the famous Beatles?

John: So this is the famous Scotland Yard, eh?

Superintendent: And how long do you think you'll last?

John: Can't say fairer than that. The Great Train Robbery, eh? How's that going?

CMcGeek likes this.
  5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Regularly quote "it's a fiendish thingy" myself

CMcGeek likes this.
  6. I bought the Blu-ray, and watched the movie once. That's enough for a couple of years. But I still put it in the Oppo and just listen to the songs every few weeks. The SQ on that thing is amazing.

7. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

For some reason, the whole sequence where they're trying to get the ring back by sabotaging them cracks me up, like being in the elevator with the magnet, and getting their clothes ripped off by the hand dryer in the bathroom.

The whole movie really does seem to be 'The Beatles On Pot', just because even in the 'funny' scenes they seem lethargic.

8. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

People think I have lost my mind, but I find this film more enjoyable than A Hard Day's Night (gasp!), and I always have. Perhaps it was when I discovered it, as a 6th grader who enjoyed cartoons and Monty Python, that had an effect. It really was a cartoon, shot as live action, and I really enjoyed it. Like AHDN, it is chock full of quotable lines.

My blood group is very unusual.

Dan

CMcGeek and dangiedr like this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And let's not forget the frequent John Barry-esque quotes in the orchestral soundtrack...

10. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

As a movie buff I recognize AHDN as the superior movie on a cinematic/technical level, but I love watching HELP!... it's just a good and zany time, lots of colorful fun, and with some clever dialogue. Oh - and some great music. I really don't care what the Beatles themselves liked or didn't like about it. I enjoy it. Not everything need be CITIZEN KANE. With the first two Beatles films you've got two different approaches. Both can be enjoyed for what they are.

CMcGeek likes this.
  11. thestereofan

thestereofan Senior Member

I like any and all Beatle movies. They fit the times that they were made in. Everyone is great.

CMcGeek likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.