Why did the Magical Mystery Tour album become canon and Hey Jude didn't?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pizza, Feb 13, 2018.

1. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

And the inclusion of "Bad Boy" shows that 1962-1966 had supplanted Oldies.

2. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

But as I said, the Beatles were only a couple of months away from putting out a new Beatles album that was going to include Get Back and Across the Universe. They wouldn’t have wanted Capitol to put these songs on an album that was going to appear first, regardless of the mixes being different.

Putting on I’m Down and Inner Light would have made all the tracks new to LP, though you’d still have the conceptual problem of the wide timespan.... maybe they felt that was too many b-sides, but there would still have been four hit singles on there.

3. SJB

Not to mention, "Across the Universe" had been donated to a charity album. It would have been kind of a d**k move to put the exact same recording on a Beatles album just a few months later, and thereby reduce sales of the charity record. As it is, the World Wildlife Fund may have been none too pleased about the inclusion of a remix on Let It Be. Neither album says anything about the mixes being drastically different.
    [​IMG]

4. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

I take your point, but the WWF album was UK only wasn't it? And Hey Jude was US only (for the first ten years).

Pizza likes this.
  5. SJB

True, but imported copies of Beatles albums were moving around - hence MMT making the UK top 40 in 1968.

6. zen

zen Senior Member

I feel blessed that my Grandmother (from the U.K.) sent my brother and I the Beatles UK releases. We enjoyed the MMT EP; but admittedly...
    we were a little jealous seeing the LP version around town. With that being said, I didn't buy it, until '71.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    JamieC and musicfan37 like this.
  7. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I was only 3 in 1970 and remember hearing this album in the early '70s.

Not knowing much about the Beatles, or in the concept of compilations, there was a time when I thought the entire album was recorded at the same time. It wasn't explicity labeled as a greatest hits or a compilation, so how would that very young version of myself know?

It probably wasn't until 1975 that I understood the history (of this album, and of the entire 1960s) a little better.

8. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Beyond making it less confusing with cds, it was already canon as a tape or vinyl in 1976.
    The UK accepted it as an official album due to it's success in North America and that EPs were no longer as common if at all by then in the UK.
    But also, The Beatles are the ones who gave the go ahead to Capitol to allow it to be an album.

Library Eye and Changingman like this.
  9. BruceEder

BruceEder Forum Resident

Why no "I'm Down" or "The Inner Light," or "Misery" or "There's A Place"? Well, in the case of "The Inner Light," much as I love the song, even I have to admit that it just would not have fit with the rest of the album; regarding the others, as well as "The Inner Light," you have to realize that each Beatles song, in each format, represented a multi-million dollar property over time, not even necessarily in terms of its own value but in terms of what its presence and existence, as a previously unexploited Beatles track on LP, could represent, should the need and occasion arise for yet another long-player -- you don't want to pull the trigger on an opportunity, unless it's the right opportunity, and I expect that Klein and company guessed that there might be compilations to come, and other tracks, besides, to consider. (Klein might also have had in mind the near-over-exploitation of "Let's Spend The Night Together" and "Ruby Tuesday," which by the fall of 1969 had graced three separate Rolling Stones long-players in America -- using them each time was a good decision, under the circumstances on each occasion, but they had also neared the upper limit of what could be done with them in a meaningful way, that limit finally reached on Hot Rocks).

10. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

It was rhetorical. They didn't include I'm Down or the Inner Light because Klein didn't have access to stereo masters of either song. They didn't include There's a Place or Misery because they assumed they'd already been on an album.

11. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

So - I've always wondered about this myself. And - me being me - put way too much thought into it. :)

I've always thought that the US track might be based on what would happen if you put the two British discs on a US record changer. This means that disc 1 has sides 1 & 4, and disc 2 has sides 2 & 3. This gives us a track listing of:

1. Magical Mystery Tour (Disc 1, Side 1)
    2. Your Mother Should Know (Disc 1, Side 1)
    3. The Fool On The Hill (Disc 2, Side 1)
    4. Flying (Disc 2, Side 1)

(Flip the stack over)

5. Blue Jay Way (Disc 2, Side 2)
    6. I Am The Walrus (Disc 1, Side 2)
    See? Almost the exact US order - except for Your Mother Should Know.

If we extend this just a hair further - if you really got used to the Your Mother Should Know to I Am The Walrus transition, then that last move makes sense.

Otherwise - I really have no idea.

Cheers,
    Paul

Library Eye, When In Rome and Keith V like this.
  12. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Good question
    ...here in the states in 1995 when I was a teen and first discovered the Beatles from watching anthology,
    MMT was known to me as the album after sgt pepper and before white album. Never heard of hey jude album until recently because past masters served its purpose.

13. Price.pittsburgh

The Beatles themselves gave the okay to Capitol for it to be an album in 1967 after their new contract prevented Capitol from releasing unique versions.
    As well, by 1976, when EMI made MMT canon, it had been a major seller in other parts of the world besides the U.S.
    They included with the cds in 87 because it was already canon since 76.

Library Eye likes this.
  14. Price.pittsburgh

It was already canon in 76 as an album and tape.

15. Price.pittsburgh

It was already cannon in 76 as an album and tape.
    They didn't just decide to include it as a cd. It had been an official album to EMI for a decade.
    Past Masters has nothing to do with it.

16. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Curiously, the Magical Mystery Tour LP apparently wasn't considered "canon" enough to be included in the 1978 BC-13 blue box.

AlienRendel likes this.
  17. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

Probably because it was included in the companion singles blue box

Library Eye and AlienRendel like this.
  18. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I still got a copy of the MMT EP new in 1981.

19. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

It was in the EP box, but not the singles box, and those boxes didn't come out until 1982 ish

Library Eye and Dinstun like this.
  20. Because it was an official EP filled out by singles from the time. Hey Jude features singles and stray tracks none of which was never authorized by The Beatles (it was authorized by Allen Klein) to full fill the new higher rate royalty contract that Klein had negotiated.

21. Hombre

Hombre Forum Resident

The album would have been almost perfect with "Day Tripper" and "We Can Work It Out" instead of "Can't Buy Me Love" and "I Should Have Known Better"; but Capitol had already included those songs in Yesterday And Today.

Anyway, I understand that "cannon" is a word reserved to essential albums including material that was not released in other original records. Magical Mystery Tour certainly accomplishes that; but the supposed function of Hey Jude was better approached by Past Masters 2.

Library Eye likes this.
  22. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Take it up with the thread starter. I was offering my opinion on why it wasn't released on CD until 2014.

23. LC2A3

LC2A3 Well-Known Member

Because George Harrison is a dumba$$

24. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

What about jettisoning the A Hard Day's Night tunes, and throwing in a couple outtakes the band had on hand to pad out a 66-69 non-LP tracks album?

Would a HEY JUDE LP like this not have done incredibly well in the US in 1970?

Side A
    1. Revolution
    2. Paperback Writer
    3. Lady Madonna
    4. Old Brown Shoe
    5. Don't Let Me Down
    6. Ob-La-Di, Ob-la-Da (take 5 - Anthology 3)

Side B
    7. Rain
    8. The Inner Light
    9. The Ballad of John & Yoko
    10. While My Guitar Gently Weeps (take 1 - Anthology 3)
    11. Hey Jude
    12. What's the New Mary Jane (take 4 - Anthology 3)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  25. Price.pittsburgh

I wasn't talking about Hey Jude