Why didn't Paul write and record with George after 1970?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mister President, Sep 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident Thread Starter

...especially after Lennon was murdered, I would of thought it would bring them a bit closer together. Ok Paul didn't write with Lennon either but you would think in over 30 years after The Beatles broke up Paul & George would of done something together a bit more substantial. All we have is All Those Years Ago and the Anthology tracks Free as a Bird and Real Love, all of which are sort of Lennon tributes. There's a couple of other things I believe but no McCartney-Harrison song I'm aware of post 1970 (All for Love may be a cover if it even exists).

Why did they not write just for the hell of it? Was George just fed up with Paul? The music industry?

Anyone?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  2. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

I have a tv interview somewhere (Cloud Nine promo 1987/8) where George pours cold water on a young interviewer's suggestion that maybe he could write something with Paul. George basically answers "Well, he wasn't interested in writing with me when the Beatles were together so I can't see why he'd be interested now?" Good ol' George... grouchy to the end ;)

3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

George had difficulty with Paul's tendency to be overbearing especially when it came to doing music. George liked things to be more laid-back and collaborative. Paul had firm ideas about what he wanted in a musical sense, and could be overbearing (at times) in his attempts to get satisfied musically.

Rather than strain their friendship, which had ups and downs, they must have mutually realized that the friendship was more important than the writing or recording of songs together. From tidbits of info that have snuck out over the years, they did visit each other over the years and even played together in private --- just not for any commercial purposes.

It should be mentioned that George re-strung a few of his ukeleles to be left-handed as a favor to Paul.

4. Mister President

So I guess that would mean it had to come from Paul, George certainly wouldn't have tried.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  5. gkmacca

gkmacca Forum Resident

I think there was just too much tension there. Harrison would've walked out as soon as McCartney got too precise and 'bossy'. It would have been nice but even in the Anthology Free as a Bird footage you can see the awkwardness between them. George was unfair, really. Yes, he'd been neglected by Paul and John in the later days of the band, but to still have that chip on his shoulder years and years after, after achieving much as a solo star, was a bit silly, and he seemed to almost take a perverse delight in seeing McCartney so scared not to cause offence.

6. Mister President

That makes sense and I knew you would have a good explanation :agree: Still 30 years is a long time, I still think at least one song could of happened, obviously not expecting a duets album or anything. :D

George recorded with Eric Clapton even after he stole his wife. Lols.

7. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

At the same time, I have seen two interviews from the same era where George is much more positive about the idea. In one of them he said that it could be a good idea, and in the other he said that he would do it as long as the sessions were interesting and relaxed.

8. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

If they really didn't write together when everything was harmonious between each other before 1970, why would you expect anything different after 1970.

9. Mister President

Because things change, people change. They were friends after all. Also Lennon wasn't there anymore.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  10. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

CrazyCatz and zebop like this.
  11. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

That's the one collaboration I wish could've happened the most. Too bad...one album would've been great.

Townsend/Lane did it...Crosby/Nash did it...Young/Stills did it. I can imagine it being really nice.

Zeki likes this.
  12. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I just cant hear their musical styles together. John and Paul were opposites in musical style. So they weirdly and wonderfully complimented each other. But Georges was much different in chord progressions and melodically. I cant hear it at all in my mind.

altaeria, Rhett, Voxbox and 1 other person like this.
  13. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Nobody has blamed this on Yoko yet?

14. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

That's exactly my take. They could have been the bestest buddies in the world, but they didn't have much in common musically from at least the '70s onward. I don't see much incentive to collaborate.

15. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

George didn't like Paul.

16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Isn't It A Pity.

MitchLT, Hell on Reels, PDK and 7 others like this.
  17. Arnold Grove

Give me time, and I'll come up with something... ;)

18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Maybe I'm amazed

MitchLT and CrombyMouse like this.
  19. Arnold Grove

I'll fix up your statement: George didn't like Paul when he was bossy. Otherwise, they were always close friends.

[​IMG]

20. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

That's interesting, I didn't think they were friends at all after the Beatles. Not just because of the Let It Be documented fracas but just because they weren't really close to begin with. Well, ya learn something new every day.

BurtThomasWard and Jimmy B. like this.
  21. Arnold Grove

The little spat in the Let It Be film was nothing, and had no bearing on their friendship. It just happened to be left in the film, so it is still mentioned. Yes, lots of psychological analysis could be applied to their relationship (the best of friends as youths, prior to Paul meeting John; then, Paul getting closer to John at George's expense; etc.), but the bottom line is that they were close.

[​IMG]

22. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Because George hated his guts

23. Arnold Grove

That's enough Yoko!!

24. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Certainly puts things in perspective.

Mark

25. dkmonroe