Why didn't Paul write and record with George after 1970?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mister President, Sep 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

theMess likes this.
  2. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

There seems to be a naive notion that because Paul and George played in The Beatles together that they should have written together after John passed. They never really did before, so why now? It's almost as if they still lived in their cool houses in 'Help' where they all had separate doors but the inside of the houses were open and connected. Paul could write songs on the organ that rises out of the floor and say "What do you think of this idea, George?" And George would get up from laying in the grass and say "Hmmmmmm, I like it. What about this guitar lick, Paul?" Ringo would listen and provide them sandwiches from the automat.
    It's a quaint idea but quite unrealistic for lots of reasons. Just read the last 19 pages.

john_frogg, No Bull, Tuco and 2 others like this.
  3. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

I know it has been discussed here before, but what evidence exists that the visit happened? Surely Paul would have referenced it in the Tug of War box.

4. gkmacca

gkmacca Forum Resident

Didn't Perkins record his sessions with McCartney in Montserrat? I doubt Harrison would've just visited him there. Unless he was vacationing in the area he would surely have only travelled there if something had been formally arranged, and I haven't see any record of that.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  5. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

Carl Perkin's daughter claimed in a book that George visited Montserrat when Carl was recording there. I still have a newspaper article from the time stating the same-though it said the Beatles were reuniting on Montserrat.

Paulwalrus, gkmacca and theMess like this.
  6. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Like Mike said above, Carl Perkin's daughter claimed that it happened in a book, and I don't see why she would make it up. It would make sense for George, George Martin, Paul and Ringo to want to meet up after John's death.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  7. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

The aborted Harrison contribution on Wanderlust happened at George's studio. And Paul himself talked about it in Club Sandwich back in 1994.

Paulwalrus, 905 and theMess like this.
  8. Seltarb

Seltarb Forum Resident

[​IMG]

from here: Club Sandwich 72 »

Paulwalrus, theMess and mrgroove01 like this.
  9. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

10. gkmacca

gkmacca Forum Resident

Ah, I see, thanks.

theMess likes this.
  11. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

It is interesting that what Perkins' daughter says contradicts what the articles posted by Marry A Carrot say. I wonder whether George could have made it to the island without the press knowing? Did they ever work out that Perkins travelled to the island to record with Paul?

Paulwalrus likes this.
  12. Mike Visco

The subject matter that Perkin's daughter was discussing had little to do with recording, but it was on the island and George Harrison was there according to her. Could have been Paul wrung him up to stop on the island to say hello to Carl-that simple-with no music business.

theMess likes this.
  13. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

What book is this in?

14. Mike Visco

as I said-it has nothing to do with music. It was a book about psychic John Edwards. He did a reading with her without knowing who she was. Whether you believe that part of it or not-she talked about the time Carl was with all three in Montserrat. I read it when my brother showed it to me. Hmmm...wonder if he still has the book.

theMess likes this.
  15. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I did some looking and found this page, which describes and summarizes the stories in the Edwards book. Below I've quoted the part where George is mentioned as being in Montserrat. I'm not sure if it's quoted directly from the book or is paraphrased, but if it's the latter then I suspect it's a simply a case of the writer being confused and mistakenly assuming Harrison was there. It seems pretty unlikely Harrison would have been there and not wanted to play on the Perkins track, and it really would have been kind of a d**k move for him to beg off playing the solo on "Wanderlust" for a second time. It also seems unlikely Harrison could have flown in and out without the press finding out.

"In early 1981, the phone rang in the home of Carl and Val Perkins and Val answered it. In a few seconds, she handed the phone to Carl saying, “He says he's Paul McCartney.”

Carl had met the Beatles back in 1964 but they were not in contact with each other. Heck, Val was not even sure it was really Paul. In early 1981, people all over the world were morning the loss of John Lennon who had passed away only a few months before. Did this call have something to do with that? Carl greeted Paul with his country twang, “Whacha doin', boy?”

Paul said, “I'm hanging out at my house. What are you doing?” And then without really waiting for Carl to reply, Paul continued. “Say, I'm down here in the West Indies recording my next album, Tug of War, and I have a song, ‘Get It,’ that's perfect for us. I want you to sing with me and play guitar on it. Can you come here and record?”

Carl explained, “Well, it'd help if I knew where it was.”

Laughing quietly, Paul reassured him, “Don't worry about that. We'll send you a ticket.”

So Carl spent eight fabulous days with Paul and Linda McCartney, George Harrison, Ringo Starr, famous Beatle producer George Martin and Stevie Wonder, who recorded “Ebony and Ivory” with Paul."

16. Prudence1964

Prudence1964 Forum Resident

I've always felt that Paul loves being famous and George hated it. I think their opposite views annoyed each other. Just a feeling.

Jarleboy likes this.
  17. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I'm pretty sure it's all due to some trouser-related misgivings of some sort...

18. Mike Visco

Being that the book had nothing to do with music, I thought it had more merit. Or perhaps it was "Hollywooded" up. Glad you found it-I could not.

theMess likes this.
  19. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Right, you're referring to the All Those Years Ago session.

I'm talking about Montserrat- - and despite what Carl's daughter or the book says, I don't think George visited during Tug of War sessions.

20. groff

groff Forum Resident

Most of the italicized portion of that excerpt is a transcription of a segment of the video "Go Cat, Go" about Carl Perkins' life and career. I have the tape and the DVD version. You can find most or all of it on youtube.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  21. Mike Visco

If I had one question to ask Paul it wouldn't be if George visited Montserrat during that period, because it really means nothing. There was never a claim he went there to record other than those earlier rumors. They got together several times socially, so no big whoop whether it happened or not.

The Let it Be question has been asked.

I would ask him though if All For Love existed.

22. groff

groff Forum Resident

Apparently the video was renamed My Old Friend. Any fan of Carl Perkins or Paul would enjoy it. Here's a very interesting (and spooky) excerpt. It's even spookier if you've read/heard that supposedly Linda told Carl the last thing John said to Paul the last time they saw each other was something like 'think about your old friend every now and then.'

23. Mike Visco

They recorded at least two songs-Get it and My Old Friend. If and only if George Harrsion really was there- I would find it hard to believe there wasn't at least some kind of loose acoustic jam.

theMess likes this.
  24. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

There's very little evidence that it does exist, and a fair amount of evidence that it does not. And there's zero evidence that it was a McCartney/Harrison cowrite, if it does exist. It's an unfortunate example of fans taking one anecdote and expanding it via theory and speculation.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  25. Mike Visco

The anecdotes are from pretty reliable sources but absolutely little detail. If I were a betting man-I would say it probably didn't happen. However there is a greater chance they attempted the "incidental" music long discussed and perhaps that went badly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.